New Mexico Draw Results are in - Who Drew What??

Is fronting money a way of weeding out the non-serious applicants? Just seems pretty useless to me if they're going to give you back your money anyway. And then I read there's the WY Elk applicants that hand over an interest-free loan for ~4 months.

Is fronting money a way of weeding out the non-serious applicants? Just seems pretty useless to me if they're going to give you back your money anyway. And then I read there's the WY Elk applicants that hand over an interest-free loan for ~4 months.
There’s that aspect of weeding people out and then there’s the interest earned I’d guess. Imagine how many people are putting in for draws and at the current costs. Even if a state holds on to that money for a couple of weeks or months that’s a pretty serious return for basically doing nothing.

The real problem with all of this is weeding out of regular folks that just want to put food in the freezer. States are going to try and make money however they can but the fact that it costs as much as it does to hunt these days is a problem. I love backpacking and camping as much as the next guy but the fact that I see see campers, hikers, bird watchers, bikers, etc all out in the field FOR FREE drives me nuts. Where do CA politicians see money coming from in the future when they ban hunting all together? Mountain biking permits? Hahaha.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
There’s that aspect of weeding people out and then there’s the interest earned I’d guess. Imagine how many people are putting in for draws and at the current costs. Even if a state holds on to that money for a couple of weeks or months that’s a pretty serious return for basically doing nothing.

The real problem with all of this is weeding out of regular folks that just want to put food in the freezer. States are going to try and make money however they can but the fact that it costs as much as it does to hunt these days is a problem. I love backpacking and camping as much as the next guy but the fact that I see see campers, hikers, bird watchers, bikers, etc all out in the field FOR FREE drives me nuts. Where do CA politicians see money coming from in the future when they ban hunting all together? Mountain biking permits? Hahaha.
This is exactly why I'm hesitant to get a lifetime hunting license this year. I saw how this state banned bobcat hunting and didn't reimburse tagowners a cent, then there's the ban on trapping and the attempted ban on bear hunting. Basically I don't trust this state to honor my lifetime license in 15-20 years.

Reactions: Papadeuce
This is exactly why I'm hesitant to get a lifetime hunting license this year. I saw how this state banned bobcat hunting and didn't reimburse tagowners a cent, then there's the ban on trapping and the attempted ban on bear hunting. Basically I don't trust this state to honor my lifetime license in 15-20 years.
15-20?! Shit man, I’ll be stoked if I can shoot anything at all in 10.

California sportsman are more organized than ever before...The tide may change as we stay united, stay informed, and voice our opinions...I also feel that as things get more expensive, people get more aware what democrats in this state represent, and what a more conservative/commonsense approach to things works, we have a chance to make California great again...It still really is a "Sportsman Paradise".

Keep the faith..... :blush:

($51.02 annual hunting license + $33.48 first deer tag) * 10 years = $845
15 years = $1267.50
20 years = $1690

$946.75 lifetime license + $704.75 lifetime big game hunting package + $7.50 fee = $1659

So CA comes out ahead unless the most optimistic 20-year scenario comes to fruition. Maybe the $1659 is better spent towards some Swarovski 15xs. At least I know the Swaros will truly last a lifetime and won't try to screw me over.

Reactions: NBK
California sportsman are more organized than ever before...The tide may change as we stay united, stay informed, and voice our opinions...I also feel that as things get more expensive, people get more aware what democrats in this state represent, and what a more conservative/commonsense approach to things works, we have a chance to make California great again...It still really is a "Sportsman Paradise".

Keep the faith..... :blush:
Thanks for the inspiration Steve, I'm a glass half-full guy but the topic of 2A/hunting in California makes me want to throw in the towel!

I feel the same way when I see the lines of cars at hiking trails and think of the how much revenue can be gained from those folks..

I feel the same way when I see the lines of cars at hiking trails and think of the how much revenue can be gained from those folks..
Guaranteed a large majority of those folks want to enjoy nature as much as we do but would quickly vote to ban hunting without a second thought for the environment, animals, revenue, etc. Bottom line is money has to come from somewhere so it may behoove hunters to start bringing up the fact that these people should start being charged to use trails, campsites, etc and pay for an annual "tag" if you will to do so. Wonder how many of these people would actually start to pay up when confronted with these facts.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
I buy my kids lifetime hunting and fishing licenses before they turn 10. $550 for each $1100 is a lot to swallow but its a gift they will receive every year in the mail long after I am gone. I recommend this to any parents out there with kids that are passionate about hunting and fishing. I am sure with inflation licenses will be over $100 in the very near future.

I will put in the guide draw for archery elk, all other would be DIY Rifle hunts with the exception of black bear and Javalina.

Liddy
The New Mexico draw results are in, I finally lucked out and drew an Elk Tag. My brother in-law and I were successful in drawing our first choice 2nd Archery season in Unit 36 Bull Elk, September 15-24, really pumped for this hunt. Let the madness begin. Glad I have been keeping myself in shape since last year, gotta start putting in the extra work a little earlier this year!

Liddy

I didn’t pull anything . Next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The New Mexico draw results are in, I finally lucked out and drew an Elk Tag. My brother in-law and I were successful in drawing our first choice 2nd Archery season in Unit 36 Bull Elk, September 15-24, really pumped for this hunt. Let the madness begin. Glad I have been keeping myself in shape since last year, gotta start putting in the extra work a little earlier this year!

Liddy

Be sure to keep us posted on you’re hunt. I drew nothing! Five apps in and nothing.

Reactions: Liddy
I know unit 36 pretty well. Make sure you are in good shape there is nothing flat and level about that country
Last year was my first Archery hunt in the Back Country, it kicked my rear pretty good. My brother in-law and I harvested Bulls back to days with pack out of two trips per day. Needless to say we were spent after my Bull which was the second one. Definitely got some good sleep each night.
I have been staying in pretty good shape this off season but definitely going to have to ratchet it up quite a bit, it’s not every year that you draw this tag so We are going to be ready for certain!

Liddy

[mention]Liddy [/mention] active wild fire in unit 36. Near the white mountain wilderness area and the reservation.
ebe2d2012a7cca46a85c80222469b977.jpg

I know unit 36 pretty well. Make sure you are in good shape there is nothing flat and level about that country
Big fan of Unit 36. I have shot 3 good bulls in that unit. And Sparky's is a must stop in Hatch for the world famous green chili burgers!

Reactions: Liddy
[mention]Liddy [/mention] active wild fire in unit 36. Near the white mountain wilderness area and the reservation.
ebe2d2012a7cca46a85c80222469b977.jpg

Well Crap, that does mot look to promising!! Let’s hope they can get that under control. This Unit 36 tag in my pocket may not turn out to be such a good tag after all.

Liddy

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu