New Mexico Merriams 2016

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
My friend Cal and I made our annual trip to New Mexico this past week. As has been the norm, the hunting & fishing did not disappoint. The 1st morning week had gobblers right in front of us, but would not leave the 10 or so hens with them. After watching them slowly move away. I hear drumming from above us. I hear it again and a big old gobbler jumps on the ledge no more than 6' behind Cal's head.....He has no idea he's there.....I can see him, but can't move because I'm only 10 yds behind Cal. When he turns around, I start to pull up my shotgun. At almost the same time, he turns around and see's me moving.....Busted!.....After these close encounters, we decided to scout and fish the rest of the day.....1st it was smallmouths, the largemouths......Did I mention we are surrounded by elk almost constantly?.....lol

The morning of day 2, we hunted a new spot. Put a bird to bed up a canyon near our home base. He gobbled like crazy, but he was either with hens or just didn't buy the calling. Never heard him again after he hit the ground....From there, we tried another new area. Got a hit on a pair of gobblers right off the bat, but again they were with hens and just couldn't close the deal the 400 yd deal (maybe it was the javalina that spooked them....lol).....That afternoon, Cal decided to hunt a bird we had heard the evening before near the lake where we were fishing. I decided to try a canyon (The Grove) that I had taken a bird in 2 years ago.....After a mile or so walk, I found tracks and sign. Set-up till 6:00 pm, but nobody.....Walking out as I always do when I come to a hump in the land or a bend I can't see around, I yelped with the diaphragm mouth call.....Boom!.....I get a gobble....I instantly find a juniper and set down....I call again and solid gobble or was it gobbles. Just about that time, here come 4 longbeards from around the corner at around a 100 yds. They're on an old mining road, but between us is an old gate. Instead of going around it and getting back on the road. They go to the river bottom to their left. Now I'm in trouble. My only shooting lane is down the road. When they're about 45 yds out, I decided to switch to left handed. I finally get my gun into position and the front bird see's movement. He putts, butt it's too late....Down goes the Merriam leader.....20-10 lbs, 9" beard, and 1" spurs.....Very exciting to say the least!

Day 3, we were back in the same place, but at dark thirty. Hear the gobbles and the roost down the canyon, but the 3 leftover toms have 6 hens now. They flydown, but the only thing that got close to Cal were the hens as I called 60 yds behind him.....Ugh!.....Later that day, Cal hunted nearer home, but again only hens nearby. Stormed pretty good too (lightning, rain, hail). So fishing was kept to a minimum....But a couple of beauties were caught anyway....lol

Day 4 found us back in "The Grove" canyon (junipers). And I had a plan for those 3 toms....It's about 5:15 am and we're going in by moonlight. As I'm walking, I have my eyes on the narrow elk/cattle/ horse trail....Suddenly, I look up and a full blown black bear is charges me head-on down the trail....WTF!....My only reaction was to stand tall, raise my arms, and yell.....At about 10', he comes to a screeching halt! He then turns around, stops again, looks back, and then runs ahead about 50 yds. Cal finally catches up and says, "What the hell was that all about?".....He then see's the bear.....I guess that explained it pretty good.....lol.....Well, back to the plan. Cal was to go past the roost area this time and I was to stay back farther and call. Every time we had confronted gobblers with hens, The hens would take them the opposite direction.....Well, not this time. They either didn't like the bear walking underneath their roost trees or they saw Cal. They went straight up the mountain. And never to be seen or heard again.....Damn turkey!!

After the hunt, we decided to go back to our friends place near Silver City and see some of the country we hadn't seen before......Land of Enchantment is an understatement......Can't wait till next year.

Attachments

• 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    666.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 045.JPG
    045.JPG
    608.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 053.JPG
    053.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 30
  • 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    532.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    446.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    661.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 066.JPG
    066.JPG
    667.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 054.JPG
    054.JPG
    637.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 046.JPG
    046.JPG
    755 KB · Views: 32
  • 051.JPG
    051.JPG
    689.1 KB · Views: 25
Sounds like an amazing trip Steve. Great write up. That bear story is one you will be telling for a while you gotta love it.

dano626 said:
Wow, that sounds like it was an exciting trip! Is this public land?

Dano,

For the most part, yes............Very little private land in the Gila NF.

Lots of old caves around and lots of Apache history here...... 8)

Attachments

• 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    451.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 067.JPG
    067.JPG
    771.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 038.JPG
    038.JPG
    460.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    1,002.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    757.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    558.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    569.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    752.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    782.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    635.7 KB · Views: 21
ilovesprig said:
dano626 said:
Wow, that sounds like it was an exciting trip! Is this public land?

Dano,

For the most part, yes............Very little private land in the Gila NF.

Lots of old caves around and lots of Apache history here....... 8)

Love it!. I would just enjoy exploring the area and finding cool stuff like those caves. Sometimes the best part of scouting a new area for me is the cool stuff you find along the way.

I like exploring too......Lots of stuff to see and find...... ;)

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    586.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 075.JPG
    075.JPG
    590.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    736.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 052.JPG
    052.JPG
    831.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 074.JPG
    074.JPG
    648.6 KB · Views: 18
msailor said:
Thanks for sharing Steve. I bet that bear got the ticker running at top speed way to handle it!

You know Matt, it caught me so off guard, that my only thought was to react the way I did.....Don't even know why I did.....I do know, if he would've kept coming, I wouldn't have had time to have taken the gun off my back..... :eek:

ps......A year ago on the same trail, I saw bear tracks and scat...... ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1053.JPG
    IMG_1053.JPG
    747.8 KB · Views: 18
Been caught off guard a few times myself but not with a bear charging me!! I don't know what I would have done but I am glad you are ok!

TJD123 said:
Steve,

Great write up. Looks like you need an elk tag!

TJ,

Tough place to draw a tag. And landowners tags on the Nan Ranch go for about 15 grand.....Even bow tags are hard to come by........ :'(

Only saw 2 bulls on the trip & couldn't get a pic of either.....Big boys I was told were around 12 miles away.

ps....The 2 big bulls in the 1st picture were found this year hooked up.....Both were dead.....They scored 381 & 355!

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    506.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    606.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 043.JPG
    043.JPG
    599.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    740.6 KB · Views: 17
Beautiful pics Steve, and great story. Thanks. That bear episode gets my heart pumping just thinking about it!

Awesome photo and story Steve! Big congrats on another beautiful merriams. The area looks like a really game rich environment. Maybe next year I'll start venturing out and take a drive out to NM.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu