New scope help

GUNDOGLOVER49

Aug 14, 2020
I got a new Nokon 3x9x40 scope with BDC. I normally sight in at 2" high at 100 yards but to set this up for longer range they recommend 0 @ 200 yards. Then each circle down from there will increase distance @ 100 yard increments. The on line calculator gave a chart which gave different yardage at top of each circle, center of circle and bottom of circle. For example top of first ring will be 317 yards, center 345 yards, bottom 380. these are just examples not actual , of course you first have to verify distance with range finder then use proper aim point, ie either crosshair or circle to match distance on finder. So, can I use my 2" at 100 yards which puts me at 0 @ 200 yards, or do I actually have to, 0 on @ 200 yards. I am shooting a Winchester Mod. 70 with Barnes Vor-tex, .300 Win. Mag. 180 gr. TTSX BT.

is this a first focal plane or a second focal plane scope? If it’s first focal plane it will be an easier scope to dial in 2nd is gonna be a little more tricky.

I got a new Nokon 3x9x40 scope with BDC. I normally sight in at 2" high at 100 yards but to set this up for longer range they recommend 0 @ 200 yards. Then each circle down from there will increase distance @ 100 yard increments. The on line calculator gave a chart which gave different yardage at top of each circle, center of circle and bottom of circle. For example top of first ring will be 317 yards, center 345 yards, bottom 380. these are just examples not actual , of course you first have to verify distance with range finder then use proper aim point, ie either crosshair or circle to match distance on finder. So, can I use my 2" at 100 yards which puts me at 0 @ 200 yards, or do I actually have to, 0 on @ 200 yards. I am shooting a Winchester Mod. 70 with Barnes Vor-tex, .300 Win. Mag. 180 gr. TTSX BT.

can you post a link to your scope on line, I am curious

@GUNDOGLOVER49

in the manual there will be a page that will show you the reticle, it should give you the dope for each of the dots. It is a genral yardage that the manufacture is telling you it’s good for but factory loads and loads are two different animals along with bullet weight, powder charges and so on.

best way to do it is enter your data in a ballistic calculator and match the moa on you dope chart it produced and note down that yardage for every drop compensating dot you have in that reticle. See below

A43389A2-6844-435C-B6AD-F5DDCC9A525D.png

My weaver K4 does not have that problem...man there is so much to think about these days in the big game shooting world....

My weaver K4 does not have that problem...man there is so much to think about these days in the big game shooting world....
Well it's not the scope with the problem. It's refer to as operator error. But being a man of reasonable intelligent ( I graduated in the top 10& 0f the bottom 25% of my class) I think with a little effort I will get it down.

Reactions: HATCHET1
Baby steps my friend....I can't spell..
Graaadoooate!!

Had what I believe to be the same scope, in fact, I had 2 of them, both purchased from Cabela's. I also had some Vortex and Weaver scopes with BDC reticles. One of the Nikons was on a 300 Win Mag firing 180 grain Barnes TTSX. I sold all the BDC scopes and replaced them with Duplex reticles. Two problems with the BDC scopes [just my opinion]. First, if you are shooting a 300 Win Mag, you're probably not shooting at prairie dogs or ground squirrels. You're after elk or bear or large mule deer or big pigs, all of which have a pretty large vital area. The BDC system, if you are in a hurry, is too much clutter, again, just my opinion. A simple duplex reticle, zeroed at about 275 yards with the 300 Win Mag, will kill any big game out to about 350 yards just by putting the crosshairs where you want the bullet to hit. And if you jump an elk or a bear or a big pig at 20 yards, try putting the BDC scope up to your eyeball and figuring out what the hell to do with that array of circles, dots, and hashmarks, all in about 2 seconds. The second objection I have with BDC scopes is that even after you plug in all the necessary data---your bullet [caliber, weight and ballistic coefficient], the muzzle velocity, and the elevation of the place where you're hunting---the damn bullet is going to do what it wants to do and you may find that you're off by 3 or 4 inches when you use the various little dots, circles, or hash marks for distances beyond where you zeroed.

If you're hunting big game, a BDC is OK if you have plenty of time to fiddle with the turrets and figure out all the little marks in the field of view. I'm no expert [don't want to sound like the infamous Larry], but I've taken about 250 big game animals under all sorts of conditions and another infamous character, Murphy, is always standing right beside you.

With big game hunting, simpler is better. Again, just the opinion of an old fart.

Now that you have the BDC scope, be absolutely sure to verify where the bullet impacts with each little circle, dot, or hashmark.

Reactions: ilovesprig
If it is a 2nd focal plane scope the BDC will only work at a specific magnification there should be a couple marks on your scope where the magnification is. If you look in the manual one will be for 30cal bullets going a a rough velocity and the other will be for like 6.5ish cal bullets.
you will have to have your scope set to that magnification every time you use the BDC. The only thing that will stay the same when you adjust magnification is the center crosshairs. So let’s say 7 power is your magnification lever for your bullet size and velocity if you use the BDC at 3x it will not work correctly.
Keep in mind that every bullet and velocity is different and the factory mark on the scope for your bullet might not be perfect but for hunting situations under 400 yards as long as you have it on the right magnification you will be ok.

Reactions: JakeSCH

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu