GoodKarma

Jul 2, 2017
Hey guys.. and girls,
I am new to the site and wanted to introduce my self. i have never really been hunting before or at least in CA. i went hunting in New York one morning.. and i have fished. now i am looking into air rifle hunting for jackrabbits.

I have read many things about it, including what air rifle to get (Benjamin Marauder Synrod Combo looks like its for me but i appreciate suggestions), what rabbit i want to shoot (jackrabbit), their season all year round), and tag limit (none as far as i have read from multiple sources), and how to skin/cook them (i hope they are tasty).

I see where to post my questions about rabbit hunting from here. but please feel free to post here with any comment or pm with any relevant information for me.

there is one think i could use directions on though. is there a thread for meeting with other hunters in person? ill probably go to the small game thread and ask there, but i feel like starting out alone would be harder.

Hi William,

Welcome to the SCHoutdoors.com forum. I can add a few things that might help. You may want to re-think eating jackrabbits and switch over to cottontails. I am sure many on this forum will have opinions on this subject.

As far as meeting folks, there is an area on the forum to do just that. Click on link below:

Hunting Partner - Finder/Hook up

Reactions: GoodKarma
Hi William,

Welcome to the SCHoutdoors.com forum. I can add a few things that might help. You may want to re-think eating jackrabbits and switch over to cottontails. I am sure many on this forum will have opinions on this subject.

As far as meeting folks, there is an area on the forum to do just that. Click on link below:

NBK, thanks for the warm welcome and the refural. I have taken note of more and more useful things in this forum.. theres more things than i thought.

Reactions: NBK
Hi William,

If you're into air rifle hunting for jacks, look up Crosman999's posts.
I think i have seen him in some YouTube video. Noted and thanks for the welcome

William,

Welcome to SCH.....Here's a little play by play on cleaning/fileting rabbits the way I like to do it....And NBK is right....Switch to cottontails, if you can....Much better eating....The technique in cleaning them is the same for jacks.

You never touch the guts and you end up with 6 pieces of clean white meat.

.007.JPG 001.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 006.JPG 009.JPG

William,

Welcome to SCH.....Here's a little play by play on cleaning/fileting rabbits the way I like to do it....And NBK is right....Switch to cottontails, if you can....Much better eating....The technique in cleaning them is the same for jacks.

You never touch the guts and you end up with 6 pieces of clean white meat.

.View attachment 30362 View attachment 30363 View attachment 30364 View attachment 30365 View attachment 30366 View attachment 30367
Thanks for the reply and ypu may be right about the flavor being an issue for me. But about the method. I think i have seen it before and i thought you needed to see the liver on the rabbit. Ill look into it more

I've never looked at a liver (wouldn't even know where to look.....lol).....I feel, if you cook the meat thoroughly, you'll have no problems....Use gloves, if you have issues with touching meat.

ps.....I mentioned this in another thread, but using a jaccard tenderizes the meat and you can't really over cook it.

I finally gave into the gutless method after years of gutting all my rabbits, and it is much simpler. And over all those years, I never saw one bunny liver that was spotted or otherwise looked sick. Tularemia is a rare but real threat, so they advise wearing gloves when handling (although I don't). Only oddity I've ever encountered are the botfly larvae which live under the fur but they come out when skinning and don't affect the meat. Full cooking temp should keep you safe.

Reactions: Moves
I prefer the slit and chuck method of field dressing. Everything except the kidneys and lungs flies out without being touched. I like getting the guts out ASAP, leaving them in the field, rinsing the body cavity with a jug of water, and bringing home only the skinless, gutless, headless body of the bunny on ice. Especially since I'm usually a couple of hours from home.

Reactions: Zak
Moves,

I really like the Havalon Baracuta. but I think I would go with the Outdoor Edge Razor-Lite EDC or Razor Blaze.....I own all three.....The blade on Outdoor Edge knives is a little stouter.

.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi5kI33mvHUAhUhsFQKHVUWAEAQFggxMAI&url=https://chasingwildcreatures.com/2014/03/11/havalon-piranta-vs-outdoor-edge-razor-edge/&usg=AFQjCNET0-XpT5yHx0Zg7YdWkAtUWbRkjw

Thanks for the pro-tip ilovesprig! I think I'll get the Outdoor Edge Razor Blaze as I like a case and my EDC is a Swiss Army Super Tinker.

Reactions: Sigalert2012

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu