New to Hunting D15, Not so New to D15

twoniner

Aug 10, 2020
Hi guys, this is my second season hunting in socal. I've lived here my whole life and know all of the mountain biking trails north of highway 74 in D15, having raced mountain bikes and done trail maintenance and many of the popular trails like San Juan, Pinos, and Bell Ridge. Now I'm older, slower, and have kids, so no more trail maintenance or racing for me! Hunting, however is my new passion, and I still have two legs than can walk a few miles. My goal is to learn this craft so that when my boys are old enough I can take them hunting out of state.

Last year I hunted D14 and had some terrible experiences, including a group of hunters parading and shouting in a language other than English (I'll let you guess which one) through the canyon I spent all day getting to, and setting up at, on opening day. The second was a pair of hunters, also of the same language and persuasion, who decided to park adjacent to my truck 100 yards away while I was in position waiting for sunrise and light up cigarettes and chat loud enough that anything up and down the canyon a mile away would hear them. That of course was my own fault, having layed up so close to a road. Lesson learned! As luck had it, 15 minutes after sunrise they must have spotted a buck as I heard no less than four shots fired in quick succession within 200 yards from me. Although a green hunter, I am not a green marksman as I have been a precision shooter for a number years, and I could never imagine having to take four shots at an animal to put it down...unless it was the size of an elephant. I never discovered if they were successful or not because I immediately hiked out and up the canyon to put as much distance between them and me as possible! I never want to go back to that area...Sorry for being long winded, I wanted to get that off my chest.

Moving on, I figure I may as well hunt my local mountains, again with which I am familiar. My primary concern is avoiding the crazies. Just from my experiencing in the mountains, and knowing that most guys like to drive to where they hunt, I'd imagine those would be 4-corners and along the north divide. Am I correct? I'd appreciate recommendations on where the crowds gather so I can best avoid them and not waste my time, especially my limited scouting time. Last year I spent all of my time scouting that area in D14 only to encounter a zillion hunters swarming like locusts all over the hills in Pinnacle Flats. I really hope that any hunters I encounter in D15 are respectful--I'm not sure what to expect on opening day.

Do any of you guys recommend backpacking this unit? I have a full kit, so I'm considering that option. The problem of course here is water, so there are limited areas to spend an overnight.

Anyways I am pumped on this unit, seeing that I live on Ortega highway. I figure I can get some solid hikes in, make some mistakes, learn some lessons, and enjoy some sunrises, and skip the 5 hour round trip drive this year.

Last edited:
Sounds like we had the same experience in D14 last year. Glad to know I’m not the only one feeling the frustration of hiking in before sunrise only to have a group of non-english speaking hunters come walking through right after sunrise. I’m pretty sure they were doing a deer drive because there were 6 or 7 guys loading a deer in a truck after I heard a shot. It’s strange for that many guys to be all gathered there unless they’re doing a drive. D15 is closer to me as well, but I have chosen to learn D14 because the brush isn’t so thick and it’s a larger area. I wouldn’t give up on D14 if I were you. I think you just need to hike further from the roads to get away from the idiots that hike around right after sunrise, thats my plan for next season.

ummm advice... one try Rosetta stone so you can understand them next time.

ok here is the pain and suffering. You cant bitch about anyone doing what ever they like out on public land. Its not your dirt its Everyone's dirt. This happens in all public land hunting areas in every state and its got nothing to do with their language. I will say my first deer hunt in utah on opening day on public land was exactly the same experience. Yes they might be driving deer. IT WORKS and works good. in some places its standard practice. Its not the quiet hunter stalking a deer on a pristine morning we all dream about but its how you throat punch our baby forks.

D15 is a bitch and a half no two ways around that. You already know some areas that hold deer. The season is long and the loud people in the woods go away after opening day. I will also tell you they do not displace the deer. They just move around while they make noise and a day later they go back to normal.

Do not be tempted to trespass onto RMV, Irvine or Park land. yes almost all the deer in d15 live on the private or park land. You will get busted and its a nasty fine. The RMV guards are smart and they have been busting hunters for a long long time.

If Larry can do it anyone can!

you can pack in but do not walk past deer to find deer. The last two weeks of the season are your friend HINT HINT

i am a 29er too, and i have been rolling down the trails you mentioned for a long long time. many a cocktail has seen me though hot rides on the SJ

You might want to learn bow hunting, a lot less people and yelling and a lot more quite woods :)

I am a D15 local also, but I drive really far to hunt. Like really really far. D15 has millions of more people near by so it wont be the hunters you run into as much its going to be the general population and their seasons don't open and close. Just when you think you are deep in, Troop 145 will go marching past.

I do like to use D15 for quick hunts when I just have to go out and only a few hours to get it out of my system, usually during the weekday, I call it the training grounds. The roads are constantly being opened and closed for various reasons, sprinkles, fire danger, harsh language, etc. So if you find a spot that depends on the gate being opened to get to it don't count on it.

Yes I know about driving deer, however, these guys were not doing so. I hiked out a short few minutes after them because shooting light was just about done with and the same guys were walking back to their truck across the same creek, also where mine was parked. I didn't say anything. I also didn't hear or see any radios with them, and didn't notice them linking up with any other trucks or hunters. I think their idea of hunting was to just have a nice long discussion, which of course in the outdoors with zero wind you can hear from a half mile away. They actually would have driven the deer directly to me if any were to be had because they walked directly through the canyon I was perched over.

Lesson learned, anything can happen in public land hunts. I definitely needed my expectations tempered because I went into it with an idealistic frame of mind. Still was a great day overall and I learned a lot of other lessons, like taking note of where you drop your camouflaged pack upon hiking up a nasty section of hill to look around, only to lose it for a half hour when you come back to retrieve it!

I have onX so I'll be sure to stay away from private & park land. I have a few areas in mind, and would like to access some of the USNF adjacent to the park land by my city, but there are no easements into the NF, everything is bordered by a hundred yard strip of county land. Part and parcel of D15 I guess. If anyone has any tips feel free to PM me with any help I'd greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site... there's a reason D15 has the lowest success rate in the state. They are there but putting one down is the hard part. You should give @stikbrandon recent Ridge to Ridge podcast episode with the ForkyNation guys a listen. Those guys grew up hunting the Corona side of D15 and seem to have it pretty dialed in. They actually get into some good detail about the challenges.

Thanks for the tip sdolan617. Any chance you know which episode it is? I wasn't able to pull up the specific one. Thanks.

Yes I know about driving deer, however, these guys were not doing so. I hiked out a short few minutes after them because shooting light was just about done with and the same guys were walking back to their truck across the same creek, also where mine was parked. I didn't say anything. I also didn't hear or see any radios with them, and didn't notice them linking up with any other trucks or hunters. I think their idea of hunting was to just have a nice long discussion, which of course in the outdoors with zero wind you can hear from a half mile away. They actually would have driven the deer directly to me if any were to be had because they walked directly through the canyon I was perched over.

Lesson learned, anything can happen in public land hunts. I definitely needed my expectations tempered because I went into it with an idealistic frame of mind. Still was a great day overall and I learned a lot of other lessons, like taking note of where you drop your camouflaged pack upon hiking up a nasty section of hill to look around, only to lose it for a half hour when you come back to retrieve it!

I have onX so I'll be sure to stay away from private & park land. I have a few areas in mind, and would like to access some of the USNF adjacent to the park land by my city, but there are no easements into the NF, everything is bordered by a hundred yard strip of county land. Part and parcel of D15 I guess. If anyone has any tips feel free to PM me with any help I'd greatly appreciate it.
Those 100 yard strips are common, the only way to pass is going around them. Sux. Even though it is 100 yards of public land in most cases they won’t let you cross with a firearm or “strung” bow. I have a similar one 1/4 mile from me.

pro tip... your phone has gps built in and it works even if you have no cell coverage :) drop a pin when you leave something on the ground. think everyone here has said umm where did i leave that.

yeah they do their best to keep you unable to access NF land next to prime park and private.

i am a oc local. Live next to whitting ranch. Figuring out the combination to D15 is not easy! i will say stay out of trabuco cyn. seems to be everyone's first choice on where to go, The burn closures are still in as well i think.

if you watch the forkynation guys you can figure out where they are at.

not just forks living in d15 by the way
forks.jpg

I used to hunt d15 with my buddy’s for many years we use to pull at least 1 buck each out of there every year. It’s a tough zone to hunt but it can be done.
Scout the area learn the deer habits and if you hear people go deeper in the woods.
Public land. Public land

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: turkeyman 85
pro tip... your phone has gps built in and it works even if you have no cell coverage :) drop a pin when you leave something on the ground. think everyone here has said umm where did i leave that.

yeah they do their best to keep you unable to access NF land next to prime park and private.

i am a oc local. Live next to whitting ranch. Figuring out the combination to D15 is not easy! i will say stay out of trabuco cyn. seems to be everyone's first choice on where to go, The burn closures are still in as well i think.

if you watch the forkynation guys you can figure out where they are at.

not just forks living in d15 by the way

I stay away from Trabuco Canyon anyways because it's full of idiots that try and drive down the road like it's the Baja 1000...and also now full of trash and graffiti. I just can't stand driving down the road anymore. I used to ride the triangle there all the time, in fact Trabuco Trail was my favorite trail in the whole mountain range, that was until it sadly burned in 2018. I have some absolutely incredible memories and photos from that trail, being the last leg of the VQ and all.

Speaking of Trabuco Canyon, does anyone know when it's going to open back up? Basically Oretega @ blue jay, Trabuco & Maple are my only three options to enter the USNF and I only plan on hunting the west side since it's the side I am on. And for those more experienced hunters, how long does it take for the deer to move back in after a hot burn, and is it safe to hunt these burn areas upon re-opening? I imagine that trails I brushed back in the day like Bell/Horsetheif/Los Pinos after a big fire and three years of growth would no longer navigable...only one way to find out I guess. I'm going to start scouting higher up the mountain this week.

Last edited:
This buck is walking in the still smoking embers of the 2007 Witch Creek Fire here in San Diego...Fires hop scotch areas and they find them quickly...Things green up after the 1st rains, if it didn't burn too hot.

.fire 2007 015.jpgfire 2007 018.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu