New to Hunting D15, Not so New to D15

I watched a video of the Holy Fire, which in the center of Trabuco Canyon where the residents lived, burned hot enough to melt all the aluminum off of a Jeep Cherokee...it resembled a scene out of Terminator 2.

I watched a video of the Holy Fire, which in the center of Trabuco Canyon where the residents lived, burned hot enough to melt all the aluminum off of a Jeep Cherokee...it resembled a scene out of Terminator 2.

That scorches the earth...Sometimes it takes years to recover...No Bueno for wildlife.

I have forestry keys thru work and have to visit the peaks in the LA basin on a somewhat regular basis. Last time I was up at Santiago/Pleasants/Sierra Pks, I talked to the ranger patrolling and he said they wouldn’t be opening the area for at least another year. The bush build up burned so hot it’s a moonscape. There was a possibility that Rangers would be stationed at the gates to let vehicles with valid tags thru but I don’t if that had traction.

Driving up Trabuco Canyon is still scorched, I had to do radio surveys with the rangers. If you want a look at Trabuco just hike up Bell Ridge trail and look down it’s only 5 miles. Everything south of Bell Ridge is still there, I don’t know if the deer just pushed south but I haven’t seen much sign when up there although in my one haunt to Bell Canyon I saw does and fawns, but there are also cats.

Reactions: Nitsua
I have forestry keys thru work and have to visit the peaks in the LA basin on a somewhat regular basis. Last time I was up at Santiago/Pleasants/Sierra Pks, I talked to the ranger patrolling and he said they wouldn’t be opening the area for at least another year. The bush build up burned so hot it’s a moonscape. There was a possibility that Rangers would be stationed at the gates to let vehicles with valid tags thru but I don’t if that had traction.

Driving up Trabuco Canyon is still scorched, I had to do radio surveys with the rangers. If you want a look at Trabuco just hike up Bell Ridge trail and look down it’s only 5 miles. Everything south of Bell Ridge is still there, I don’t know if the deer just pushed south but I haven’t seen much sign when up there although in my one haunt to Bell Canyon I saw does and fawns, but there are also cats.

just act big, those cats will leave you alone. Besides those are the rare almost extinct inbred ones. Kinda like cougar Arkansas up there.

El Gato...The horror...

In my experience, D15 is one of those places where you can be successful at sun up and maybe last light. I’ve learned to avoid other hunters fairly well, it’s the hikers that I can’t seem to get away from. No matter where I go, they are always there. 5-6 miles in from the road, groups up to 12-13 hikers clunking their way through. Yeah it’s frustrating, but like it’s already been said, public land.
Now, as for places to hunt...I’ve seen more deer in the most unlikely of places. Last year, 3.5 miles deep into the wilderness, nothing...a week prior to that, 50 yards off a highly trafficked road, bucks chasing does in a meadow.
So my plan this year, go find a spot that seems “too obvious” and give that a try.

I stay away from Trabuco Canyon anyways because it's full of idiots that try and drive down the road like it's the Baja 1000...and also now full of trash and graffiti. I just can't stand driving down the road anymore. I used to ride the triangle there all the time, in fact Trabuco Trail was my favorite trail in the whole mountain range, that was until it sadly burned in 2018. I have some absolutely incredible memories and photos from that trail, being the last leg of the VQ and all.

Speaking of Trabuco Canyon, does anyone know when it's going to open back up? Basically Oretega @ blue jay, Trabuco & Maple are my only three options to enter the USNF and I only plan on hunting the west side since it's the side I am on. And for those more experienced hunters, how long does it take for the deer to move back in after a hot burn, and is it safe to hunt these burn areas upon re-opening? I imagine that trails I brushed back in the day like Bell/Horsetheif/Los Pinos after a big fire and three years of growth would no longer navigable...only one way to find out I guess. I'm going to start scouting higher up the mountain this week.

If you are asking about the Holy Fire burn area, it reopened September 1st, but now the entire forest is closed.

Tim,

Have you been back in the burn area? The gate off the south end of North Main Divide has been closed the whole month. What's it look like, how is the vegetation (food) looking?

Hi guys, this is my second season hunting in socal. I've lived here my whole life and know all of the mountain biking trails north of highway 74 in D15, having raced mountain bikes and done trail maintenance and many of the popular trails like San Juan, Pinos, and Bell Ridge. Now I'm older, slower, and have kids, so no more trail maintenance or racing for me! Hunting, however is my new passion, and I still have two legs than can walk a few miles. My goal is to learn this craft so that when my boys are old enough I can take them hunting out of state.

Last year I hunted D14 and had some terrible experiences, including a group of hunters parading and shouting in a language other than English (I'll let you guess which one) through the canyon I spent all day getting to, and setting up at, on opening day. The second was a pair of hunters, also of the same language and persuasion, who decided to park adjacent to my truck 100 yards away while I was in position waiting for sunrise and light up cigarettes and chat loud enough that anything up and down the canyon a mile away would hear them. That of course was my own fault, having layed up so close to a road. Lesson learned! As luck had it, 15 minutes after sunrise they must have spotted a buck as I heard no less than four shots fired in quick succession within 200 yards from me. Although a green hunter, I am not a green marksman as I have been a precision shooter for a number years, and I could never imagine having to take four shots at an animal to put it down...unless it was the size of an elephant. I never discovered if they were successful or not because I immediately hiked out and up the canyon to put as much distance between them and me as possible! I never want to go back to that area...Sorry for being long winded, I wanted to get that off my chest.

Moving on, I figure I may as well hunt my local mountains, again with which I am familiar. My primary concern is avoiding the crazies. Just from my experiencing in the mountains, and knowing that most guys like to drive to where they hunt, I'd imagine those would be 4-corners, blue jay, and along the north divide. Am I correct? I'd appreciate recommendations on where the crowds gather so I can best avoid them and not waste my time, especially my limited scouting time. Last year I spent all of my time scouting that area in D14 only to encounter a zillion hunters swarming like locusts all over the hills in Pinnacle Flats. I really hope that any hunters I encounter in D15 are respectful--I'm not sure what to expect on opening day.

Do any of you guys recommend backpacking this unit? I have a full kit, so I'm considering that option. The problem of course here is water, so there are limited areas to spend an overnight.

Anyways I am pumped on this unit, seeing that I live on Ortega highway. I figure I can get some solid hikes in, make some mistakes, learn some lessons, and enjoy some sunrises, and skip the 5 hour round trip drive this year.

Hey there - also local to d15/newbie. Hope CNF opens soon...cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the firefighters I have spoken to the Holy Fire area will be closed for another season. I just hope that the Forest Service doesn't extend the recent closure order for another week because although cooling off for a few days the temps are going to kick back up next week.

Last edited:
If you are asking about the Holy Fire burn area, it reopened September 1st, but now the entire forest is closed.

Just talked to the Ranger Station and asked about the expired closure order for Holy Jim and they said new one being draw and will be closed another year. Going to drop a few game cams in another spot, roads are closed so the starting line just got pushed back miles for CNF.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu