New to Turkey

JWilliams

Nov 15, 2016
Hello,

I read some of the turkey basics post on this forum. I wanted to reach out and try to get more advice on setting up, spot and stalk vs sitting, calling vs not calling, and terrains to look for when it comes to turkey hunting. This is my first year I am going to actually specifically go for Turkey. I am going out this Tuesday and Wednesday most likely. I appreciate some help and look forward to hopefully showing some succes..

I was never successful at stalking method. I would alway look for a area with open meadows and roosting trees, not necessarily close by open meadows. Look for sign, tracks, dropping, Toms dropping are usually J shaped, and dropped feathers. if you find a area with all of the above, start looking below the trees for feathers and lots of droppings, likely roosting trees. Once turkey found an area they are comfortable in they will continue to use that area unless they get too much pressure. Try too set up between roosting and strutting meadows and or water hole. As for calling, I pay attention to what they are doing and go from there. Don't over do it, if you get a tom responding to your calls, it some times works to lay way back on calling and make him come looking for the hen (you) he was hearing. When calling turn your head away from where he is calling and let out a few yelps, he might think the hen is moving away and come looking. They sometimes get hung up, for what ever reason and won't come in. Not much you can do about that, unless you want to chance heading out to look for them. Good cammo and decoys are very helpful. Turkeys eyesight is fantastic. When you have birds coming in try not to move, have gun up and ready before you see birds. Mouth calls come in real handy, limit hand movement if using box call. Make sure of your shooting area, shooting distance., and always look out for other hunters. I have taken turkey out to 55 yards but, much prefer shots not over 45 yards. Pattern your gun with your load of choice too see where your concentration of shot is hitting. Target area is, head and neck. Make sure you are shooting at Toms. Good luck.

When I first started hunting turkeys, I would do whatever it took to shoot one (legally)...Now, I pretty much try to decoy or call them in...Spot and stock to me means, see them, or hear them (with locator call), get in front of them, and for the most part, try to call them...That's basically the same as "Run & Gun" and use to be my favorite...Sitting has come a long way with improved pads and turkey loungers.

If you can't call very well, don't call a lot...IMO on local public, you're better off finding a likely spot and sticking it out with calling every 15-20 minutes...Guys walking all over the forests just spooks birds for the most part...Can you just luck out and get one...Yep...But, hearing a gobble and coaxing one in is where the thrill of the hunt comes from for me...Yesterday with my daughter was no exception.

You will get a lot opinions on these subjects and they won't be wrong...These are just mine these days after 26 years of turkey hunting.

When I first started hunting turkeys, I would do whatever it took to shoot one (legally)...Now, I pretty much try to decoy or call them in...Spot and stock to me means, see them, or hear them (with locator call), get in front of them, and for the most part, try to call them...That's basically the same as "Run & Gun" and use to be my favorite...Sitting has come a long way with improved pads and turkey loungers.

If you can't call very well, don't call a lot...IMO on local public, you're better off finding a likely spot and sticking it out with calling every 15-20 minutes...Guys walking all over the forests just spooks birds for the most part...Can you just luck out and get one...Yep...But, hearing a gobble and coaxing one in is where the thrill of the hunt comes from for me...Yesterday with my daughter was no exception.

You will get a lot opinions on these subjects and they won't be wrong...These are just mine these days after 26 years of turkey hunting.
That's great insight. I've seen them out while deer hunting during the fall before so would you say that they tend to stick to same areas all year and pattern them that way or is there a high chance they arn't near those areas and travel somewhere else during the spring?

That's great insight. I've seen them out while deer hunting during the fall before so would you say that they tend to stick to same areas all year and pattern them that way or is there a high chance they arn't near those areas and travel somewhere else during the spring?

Turkeys travel A LOT....When the winter flock up starts dispersing, they can literally be anywhere....Finding a winter flock is good. because they'll always be birds (mostly jenny's) that don't go far...Hence, toms coming back to find a new girlfriend.

When I first started turkey hunt, way before internet, I found books about turkey hunting. The different tactics and opinion was mind boggling. Not wrong, just different. Don't do a information overload. Go out and observe and learn. Lot of guys here will give you many good tactics to use. take them and apply them in the field.

When I first started turkey hunt, way before internet, I found books about turkey hunting. The different tactics and opinion was mind boggling. Not wrong, just different. Don't do a information overload. Go out and observe and learn. Lot of guys here will give you many good tactics to use. take them and apply them in the field.
Sage advice here. That goes for a lot of things in life. Go get some info (youtube, podcasts, books, forums) then go out there and give it hell. Make mistakes, come back with questions, learn a little more then get up early and give em hell again. Rinse, wash and repeat.

If more hunters spend time hunting and putting gas in their trucks as opposed to watching videos and buying new gear there would be a lot more meat in the freezer.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu