Newb here too

Huntinsquatch

May 6, 2022
Hey everyone. I am in Orange County and am new to archery and hunting. So new to hunting that I have never been hunting ever. Was thinking I'd like to try turkey and feral pig. I also am thinking depredation too. I bought a 2022 license with upland bird tag. My goal is spring turkey in 2023.

Look forward to learning a lot this next year.

Steve

So I have been reading about gear and trying to figure out OnX. I feel like I should be asking questions, but I am not sure what questions to ask. I signed up for some CDFW events like the Bighorn sheep survey and the Bear seminar and campout. I am having a hard time finding time to go scout and where to go. Should I have binoculars? What are a decent pair at a reasonable price. I'm starting from scratch here and I have no experience.

If you go out you'll come back with no shortage of questions. The answers you get will also have more weight because you have reference experience. Start close to home and close to a water source.

Binos, a wind checker and something to keep the binos steady are absolutely critical. I'd include a bino harness with that too, having binos handy is a must and carrying them with a strap around your neck or in your backpack sucks.

I dont know what your budget is like but for $200 Vortex Diamondback 10x42 or 8x42 (they come with a harness I believe), and a pair of trekking poles $30. You can use one to rest your binos on when glassing. Stick the wind checker ($5) in your pocket if your harness dosent have a pocket and you'll be off to the races.

This might be a long one. As someone who just started this journey also. Get ready. It's drinking from the fire hose but a ton of fun. Every trip you go out you see or discover something new. Heck 6 months ago I've never seen a deer or it's tracks.

In my opinion (limited as it may)
1# Boots. Get good boots that fit well and don't prevent you from putting on a ton of miles each day. (Lukotape is something I'd recommend getting just in case)

2# good backpack. Like your boots your going to be holding all your gear in here. (A good backpack doesn't have to be a 800$ stone glacier or fancy kifaru bag. Mystery ranch has alot of great reviews and I dig my pop-up 28) check Camofire they have some great sales on MR stuff and just about everything.

3# optics and tripod. These are a combined unit. This is where I goofed up. I didn't think I needed a tripod at first or that a pair of vortex uhd we're that much better then the diamondbacks and man was I wrong. Invest in some good optics they hold their value well and a good tripod will work for not only your binos but spotting scope and your rifle if you go that route later.

Also here are some good links to some great cheaper alternative clothing

Condor Base II Zip Pullover https://a.co/d/idVOc9g
This guy works. I was glassing in the sun but there was snow on the ground. Great layer for a quarter of the price.

TACVASEN Men's Hiking Shirts UPF 50+ UV Training Shirts https://a.co/d/fWcGDe9
Hunting D16 these are great especially if you hate sunscreen.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

If you go out you'll come back with no shortage of questions. The answers you get will also have more weight because you have reference experience. Start close to home and close to a water source.

Binos, a wind checker and something to keep the binos steady are absolutely critical. I'd include a bino harness with that too, having binos handy is a must and carrying them with a strap around your neck or in your backpack sucks.

I dont know what your budget is like but for $200 Vortex Diamondback 10x42 or 8x42 (they come with a harness I believe), and a pair of trekking poles $30. You can use one to rest your binos on when glassing. Stick the wind checker ($5) in your pocket if your harness dosent have a pocket and you'll be off to the races.
Thank you! I think is some of the best advice I've gotten so far!

This might be a long one. As someone who just started this journey also. Get ready. It's drinking from the fire hose but a ton of fun. Every trip you go out you see or discover something new. Heck 6 months ago I've never seen a deer or it's tracks.

In my opinion (limited as it may)
1# Boots. Get good boots that fit well and don't prevent you from putting on a ton of miles each day. (Lukotape is something I'd recommend getting just in case)

2# good backpack. Like your boots your going to be holding all your gear in here. (A good backpack doesn't have to be a 800$ stone glacier or fancy kifaru bag. Mystery ranch has alot of great reviews and I dig my pop-up 28) check Camofire they have some great sales on MR stuff and just about everything.

3# optics and tripod. These are a combined unit. This is where I goofed up. I didn't think I needed a tripod at first or that a pair of vortex uhd we're that much better then the diamondbacks and man was I wrong. Invest in some good optics they hold their value well and a good tripod will work for not only your binos but spotting scope and your rifle if you go that route later.

Also here are some good links to some great cheaper alternative clothing

Condor Base II Zip Pullover https://a.co/d/idVOc9g
This guy works. I was glassing in the sun but there was snow on the ground. Great layer for a quarter of the price.

TACVASEN Men's Hiking Shirts UPF 50+ UV Training Shirts https://a.co/d/fWcGDe9
Hunting D16 these are great especially if you hate sunscreen.

Thank you for the info about the boots and the clothes. I kind knew about getting good boots, that really solidified for me. About the clothes, honestly I'm not into camo. At all! But I will do what I have to do if I want to be successful. Anyway, I got my hunting license and put in for the drawing, got a bear and pig tag, and upland game bird tag. So I am really interested in just scouting right now and learing what to look for and where to look. I figured if I start hiking some trails in Orange County I could get used to that, and maybe carry a pack with some weight in it to start. Just to get used to using binoculars and such.

Thanks for all the comments. I'll let you know what I find or don't find!

Thank you! I think is some of the best advice I've gotten so far!

Thank you for the info about the boots and the clothes. I kind knew about getting good boots, that really solidified for me. About the clothes, honestly I'm not into camo. At all! But I will do what I have to do if I want to be successful. Anyway, I got my hunting license and put in for the drawing, got a bear and pig tag, and upland game bird tag. So I am really interested in just scouting right now and learing what to look for and where to look. I figured if I start hiking some trails in Orange County I could get used to that, and maybe carry a pack with some weight in it to start. Just to get used to using binoculars and such.

Thanks for all the comments. I'll let you know what I find or don't find!
Yea I'm not a camo guy either. Earth tones are where it's at. I've been on glassing spots right off trails and people have walked up right in front of me and they haven't seen.

You can do it all on a budget..just gotta do some research. As mentioned check camofire daily since their deals change every day. I ran a $50 Alps pack that I ordered from there and it served me well. I bought earth tone dickie pants at walmart and a realtree camo jacket from walmart.com $60 magnum boots from big 5 and put lots of miles on them. The most expensive piece of gear other then my guns and bow were my $250 vortex Diamondback 10x50 that I got from bass pro and was given the option to pay in 6 payments but they ship them right to you before you even pay them off. But like @180ls1 said it takes getting boots on the ground and time affield under your belt to start to learn and figure your area out. Trekking poles are also pretty important..I run an Ozark aluminum set that's under $20 from walmart and they've held up great. Don't be afraid to ask if anyone wants to join you on scouting or hunting trips on here..I met up with other new hunters when I first started 4 yrs ago and we got to learn together and help eachother out..also made some good friends that way! Take pictures and ask questions on here if your unsure about things you see out in the field..lots of dudes will chime in and help you out.

Good luck and welcome.

While scouting or asking for permish, I have found it's always better to NOT wear camo cloths...That said, I like wearing camo cloths while hunting...Sitka, 1st Lite. Kuiu and other high end cloths are awesome, but any camo is good, if it feels good to you.

ps...I have a bunch of XL stuff anyone can have to a good home...Just come to the next NWTF monthly meeting (June 27th at Hamburger Factory in Poway).

.013.JPG

A comment on binoc's.......I would not buy a $59 pair of binoculars. You will quickly regret it and just end up replacing them out of frustration. Do your homework. A lot of great articles online about optics.

You can get a very respectable pair of binoculars these days, that will give you a lot of mileage without breaking your wallet. I have 3 pairs; Leica 10x50, Alpen 8x42 and Bushnell 8x32 and seem to use the heck out of the Bushnell's the most, for almost everything,.... waterfowl, archery deer, elk etc...

Personally, whatever you buy, I would lean to getting a Roof Prism pair that is Fully=Multi-Coated AND Phase Corrected ~$240. They are much clearer at low light and handle the heat waves a lot better than standard Fully-Multi-Coated non-Phase Corrected binoculars, ~$150. I have a pair of 10 year old Bushnell 8x32 Roof Prism Phase Corrected binocs. They are really clear at low light, very lightweight, rubber coated and were replaced for free by bushnell, when the eye cap stop set screw backed out. They are waterproof, fogproof & shock proof.

I believe the Vortex brand is great quality and has a fantastic warranty. I saw them at Fine Firearms in La Mesa before Christmas and was impressed. There are a lot of good knowledgeable guys over there to help you out. Good luck!

Hi Kenny, thanks for the suggestions. I was looking at the vortex diamond model. I will check out the bushnell before buying anything.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu