Newb with Wister Questions....Pleased To Meet You!

FFDoug

Mar 2, 2018
Hello All,

My name's Doug and Im a local firefighter originally from Louisiana. I've been out here for about 15 years now, and Im looking to get back into duck hunting here in San Diego County. I've tried Barrett Lake with some limited success, and I've heard Wister is really good! Looking for advice on how to get started at Wister please...

Also can anyone give me info on cleanup/workdays down there? My 11 y/o son and I would like to get involved!

Thanks in advance. Doug

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
Doug,

Welcome to SCH.....Wister has no planned work parties at this time, but San Jacinto WA does on March 10th.....You can take a drive out to Imperial WA, Wister Unit anytime.....Rick Francis is the area manager and would be helpful, if you drive out (Mon-Fri).

As far as hunting out there, it's a Type A wildlife area.....You need a season pass, a 2 day pass, or single day pass to hunt.....The area is open for hunting for the 1st dove season (Sept. 1-15).....Then the duck opener thru the end of the season.....Camping is available.....Shoot days are Wed, Sat, Sun.

You can apply for reservations for those shoot days.....Go to the DFW for info here.....It is not necessary to have a reservation to hunt Wister.....Each shoot day has a call for ressies, then non ressies (sweat line).

The process to get on starts at 3:00 am with ressies going 1st.....They pick from the blind site board.....As blinds are taken, that peg is taken off the board.....After all ressies are called, the sweat liners are called per the lotto draw (must be signed up in the lotto by 10:30 pm the night before).....About 33% of the 100 reservation holders show up. So getting on in the morning is almost a sure thing except the opener.

Hope this helps a little

Steve

Last edited:
Welcome to SCH Doug. Glad you joined. There are quite a few waterfowl hunters here!

Welcome to the form and don’t give up on Barrett! It was pretty good this year compared to last year and if the water level holds over the summer it should be ok. I know it nothing like a regular duck hunt but better then going to the local park pond and wishing I could shoot those bread ducks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Doug,

Welcome to SCH.....Wister has no planned work parties at this time, but San Jacinto WA does on March 10th.....You can take a drive out to Imperial WA, Wister Unit anytime.....Rick Francis is the area manager and would be helpful, if you drive out (Mon-Fri).

As far as hunting out there, it's a Type A wildlife area.....You need a season pass, a 2 day pass, or single day pass to hunt.....The area is open for hunting for the 1st dove season (Sept. 1-15).....Then the duck opener thru the end of the season.....Camping is available.....Shoot days are Wed, Sat, Sun.

You can apply for reservations for those shoot days.....Go to the DFW for info here.....It is not necessary to have a reservation to hunt Wister.....Each shoot day has a call for ressies, then non ressies (sweat line).

The process to get on starts at 3:00 am with ressies going 1st.....They pick from the blind site board.....As blinds are taken, that peg is taken off the board.....After all ressies are called, the sweat liners are called per the lotto draw (must be signed up in the lotto by 10:30 pm the night before).....About 33% of the 100 reservation holders show up. So getting on in the morning is almost a sure thing except the opener.

Hope this helps a little

Steve

Thanks Steve! That's all great info. I will definitely take trip out there to familiarize myself, and try to get the lay of the land.

Regards,

Doug

Hi All,

I'm a newb here as well. Just started duck hunting this last season as my brother in law has a lease up in the Mendota area and got me into it. While I certainly plan to get up there a few times next season, I need to find something closer to home here in SD! I have been trying to find information and this board has by far been the most useful!

Hi All,

I'm a newb here as well. Just started duck hunting this last season as my brother in law has a lease up in the Mendota area and got me into it. While I certainly plan to get up there a few times next season, I need to find something closer to home here in SD! I have been trying to find information and this board has by far been the most useful!

Cap Landius,

Welcome to SCH.....Best bet is to learn Wister and put in for ressies at San j.....You won't get much help on the day of your hunts at Wister, but San J you'll get plenty of help.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu