Newbie from LA County and my first time out

357SMIB301

Jul 3, 2018
Socal
A bit of background:

Asian, First hunter in the family and no friends that hunt (yep going against a lot of lefts in the pursuit of happiness)

Also a disclaimer: in no way do I intend this more than what it is, a fairly amusing (wife says-so) failed first attempt on chasing rabbits.

The Story:

Finally got my license & adventure pass and thought to take it out for a spin looking for wabbits, Friend gave me a bit of his coney at lunch one time and well I couldn't make chicken taste anything like it. So here I am 3 months before the season practicing with a bow, a shotgun and pellet rifle making sure I hit what I need to hit from 10-30 yards.

Season opening day finally arrives and I'm envious of the opening posts here on SCH!!

It wasn't only until this past Sunday I got to go out around 5 am and drive my ass all the way to Sycamore Canyon by the 15, knowing that it's best to just take my ol’ reliable 12g 28” Single shot shotgun since regs and the SBC shooting map says boomsticks only

I've confirmed with the Lytle Creek Ranger station it is possible to hunt the canyon however parking is dodgy as heck. I was torn between driving up the dirt ramp risking my ol yoder into the canyon or leaving the car on the glen helen parkway bend with a lot of other fair weather travelers. As great as the place looked on Google earth, my paranoid self-kicked into high gear saying you might hoof it back home if you left your car here or come back to a car that’s been broken into; so I decided instead to head off to the nearest alternative Middle fork Road in Lytle Creek within SBNF. (In hindsight I should’ve just went up Cajon pass and went along Lone Pine Rd.)

By this time it was already quarter to 7 and there were people using the turn outs, trails and trailheads along Middle Fork Rd. Being new to the sport and honest to God I was intimidated not knowing if these were amiable folks or ones that'll run me off for being in their spot, ok I honestly looked maybe a tad bit out of place with everybody in their lifted trucks and my dinky ass in the only SUV. So I drive on pass the intended parking area pushing my car to its limits looking for an unmarked trailhead or wide enough turnout to park when suddenly I heard, “Thunk!”, pothole plus big rock equals decision time, turn back and call it a day? Or push on to the Middle fork trail. Taking a deep breath, I parked and looked at that dirt road going steadily steeper and said to myself, rabbits just ain't worth a banged up car, hefty deductible and a week on the couch. So I throw that car in reverse, (now remember I’m ASIAN, hehe c’mon laugh it’s a joke, no way am I generalizing our driving skills as a whole race, heck remember we got Tokyo Drift) and thankfully being front wheel drive, my wheels sliding a little off the road into the creek below only almost gave me a heart attack when I felt the rear tires lose traction, thankfully steering right and left gained a bit of traction enabling me to get my ass out of there, park, get out and breathe a sigh of relief and thank the Lord God Almighty my stupidity didn’t kill me today.

Now I did have another choice when I got back to Lytle Creek road, go left and attempt to take the old SUV to the yellow posts above the Lytle Creek firing range or get home and assess the damage I've put my ol car through.

Since this post doesn't have any pictures of dead rabbits, you know how that went; I did see a lot of squirrels on the road though making me wish I brought my Hatsan Vortex Edge .25.

Anyway I guess the takeaway would be it'd be nice and a bit safer to go hunting with somebody already established in the sport who can show you the ropes or even better some honey holes to partake in or at least have a buddy you can laugh making mistakes with learning how to hunt, I also learned about poison oak and how it was different from poison ivy and how I’m such a celebrity with mosquitos.

Anyway here are some pics of that turning point after making it back safely to a more stable elevation, shout out if you recognize em. So hopefully this read was entertaining for you as it was amusing for me to write, ok maybe cringingly during the whole “Thunk” part, hopefully the canyons above east fork along the ANF yields something on my next attempt and less dangerous, heck I’ll even take mountain lions over an angry wife any day.

20180715_071200_resized_1.jpg20180715_071152_resized_1 (1).jpg20180715_071414_resized.jpg

Very nice write up and welcome. It takes time to find spots and even then no guarantees. just keep after it. talk to guys here and in the field, and remember we should all be out for the love of nature. Harvesting and eating wild game is just EXTRA frosting on the cake of nature.

I never thought of it that way, I like that. I'm just on a nature walk but with a gun and an opportunistic frame of mind.

That’s really the general consensus around here. If you go into it always thinking your going to harvest something every time out (or even see something) your going to be disappointed.

Reactions: 357SMIB301
Welcome. Good first effort. The process of elimination has begun, so you’re on your way to success. I’ve checked out some areas near where you were and for some reason there just don’t seem to be many rabbits in them there hills. Keep looking at google earth and onX and you’ll start to put it together. When hunting rabbits also make mental notes on quail sign, when chasing quail make mental notes on deer sign, when hunting deer...you get the idea? No such thing as a fruitless trip into the field. Good luck!

Looks like a fun day keep after them hunting is a lifelong skill that can never be mastered.

Just for future reference I use extreme caution when posting pictures on here and I am very broad in my descriptions. I would never post open pictures like you did and I definitely would not post roads or location names. I am even hesitant to post unit numbers up when I hunt other states that way guys don’t apply for them. There are a lot of trolls out there myself being one that steal spots off of forums all over the Western United States. Non hunting forums are one of the best ways to find spots talking about the bear they see or deer they came across lol.

Great write up and welcome to SCH.....Most guys go thru what you did these days, if they weren't raised in a hunting family (I was lucky to have a lot of old mentors)….You're apparently not that far from Bass Pro Shop.....Hang out there as much as you can.....They have a lot of seminars and meetings for different organizations....Watch hunting shows on TV....You'll pick up small tips on a variety of game....There may even be a hunting club or gun range close by....Again, hang out, be friendly, and ask questions.

Get used to driving further than you did....Imperial & East Riverside Counties have a plethora of hunting opportunities....If you want more exact info, ask for PM's....Like Drew stated, giving out areas even if it's general can ruin a spot someone may have found.

May want to read this thread too.....Good luck, ask questions, and us old timers and others will help a fellow fraternity brother out.

.https://schoutdoors.com/threads/hunter-codes-ethics-etiquette.6032/

Driving a long distance to a spot you don't know is part of the fun. It is going to cost time and money but that is the price of admission. Also fun. You never know what you are going to find. Once while checking out bunnies at FHL I walked up (within 10 yds) on a full grown cow elk. Thought I was in Jurassic Park.

Reactions: 357SMIB301
Welcome. Good first effort. The process of elimination has begun, so you’re on your way to success. I’ve checked out some areas near where you were and for some reason there just don’t seem to be many rabbits in them there hills. Keep looking at google earth and onX and you’ll start to put it together. When hunting rabbits also make mental notes on quail sign, when chasing quail make mental notes on deer sign, when hunting deer...you get the idea? No such thing as a fruitless trip into the field. Good luck!

Thank you for the advise, will start learning what these signs and keep an eye out the more I get out there.

Looks like a fun day keep after them hunting is a lifelong skill that can never be mastered.

Just for future reference I use extreme caution when posting pictures on here and I am very broad in my descriptions. I would never post open pictures like you did and I definitely would not post roads or location names. I am even hesitant to post unit numbers up when I hunt other states that way guys don’t apply for them. There are a lot of trolls out there myself being one that steal spots off of forums all over the Western United States. Non hunting forums are one of the best ways to find spots talking about the bear they see or deer they came across lol.

Will do, will be more cautious from now on regarding directions. and pictures. hehe Thank you for the advice on non-hunting forums, I'll be sure to keep a mental note regarding those stories.

Great write up and welcome to SCH.....Most guys go thru what you did these days, if they weren't raised in a hunting family (I was lucky to have a lot of old mentors)….You're apparently not that far from Bass Pro Shop.....Hang out there as much as you can.....They have a lot of seminars and meetings for different organizations....Watch hunting shows on TV....You'll pick up small tips on a variety of game....There may even be a hunting club or gun range close by....Again, hang out, be friendly, and ask questions.

Get used to driving further than you did....Imperial & East Riverside Counties have a plethora of hunting opportunities....If you want more exact info, ask for PM's....Like Drew stated, giving out areas even if it's general can ruin a spot someone may have found.

May want to read this thread too.....Good luck, ask questions, and us old timers and others will help a fellow fraternity brother out.

.https://schoutdoors.com/threads/hunter-codes-ethics-etiquette.6032/

Just read the ethics post, Should've seen that first. Thank you for shining some light on that brother, will be more reserved regarding locations and pictures from now on. So far I like Meat Eater, and its quite a lot of information to learn. Looking towards the east then, hopefully the next nature walk will be more eventful in a good way hehe.

Driving a long distance to a spot you don't know is part of the fun. It is going to cost time and money but that is the price of admission. Also fun. You never know what you are going to find. Once while checking out bunnies at FHL I walked up (within 10 yds) on a full grown cow elk. Thought I was in Jurassic Park.

That must've been a sight to see, I've never seen elk, only in hunting shows, I can only imagine how much meat that'll be in a freezer hehe. Admission's worth every penny, can't wait for the next show and it seems to get better every time from all the stories on here.

Great intro. I'm new too (just joined forum 5 mins ago). I went hunting for jacks with friend who is very experienced hunter, back in Jan. Dropped a few jacks with my 22. Just felt that it was more sporting to hunt with a 22 versus a SG. He used SG and got twice as many as I did. Harvested out in the field and had rabbit stew for dinner. Lot of fun, and a LOT of walking and kicking the rocks.

Like you, I'm Asian, wife just shook her head when I told her, and now I'm full bore (back) into deep sea fishing (dropped over $1,000 this month in fishing gear) and over the past six months, got my hunting gear in order. Drew a D14 tag for deer. If you're interested in joining, whether to hunt or glass/camp, message me. I'll be going with my friend who is experienced and at this point, it may just be me, him and one more friend.

the 22 is usually for a little longer shots in more open country, where you can post up and wait and keep an eye out. The Shotty is usually more for walking and flushing the little guys.
Yep. Down here in SD I use my shotgun sometimes though since it's so thick in some spots that my .17HMR or .22LR would be impossible. Plus a flushing rabbit makes for fun shotgunning practice. But I agree that most of the time, I do prefer sniping em with my rimfires.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: longbowhunter2
All excellent advice given
With the 22 LR HP I like to sit at high point and sit and watch. Long shots are fun. On the other hand when stalking I like the shot gun. For those bunnies that are quick.
Good practice shooting is the sqeekers. I sit with the 22 and pop them off.
Sharpens my shooting. It seems to me as of late good rabbit areas are getting hard to find. Dove hunting is a little easier on the legs. I may do more of this year. It seems there is less rabbits out on public land. So when you find a spot it is golden.

Reactions: ilovesprig
With those .22's remember your copper.
Unless you're in the condor zone or in a wildlife area you should still be good until next year (except for shotguns). But I did buy a few bricks of lead-free Winchester Varmint polymer-tipped .17HMR to prep for it. Still haven't shot it at the range though, since I figure the ballistics will be different (15.5 gr vs 17 gr which I normally shoot).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu