Newbie here ready to learn

C

Calreef18

Hi everyone, totally new to hunting here (live in D16) and hoping to learn as much as I can from the forum and online and then getting out in the field. Just did my hunting and archery safety Ed courses and got my license. Planning to hunt archery/rifle next year, but for now scout and get my accuracy where I want it in the off-season.

Read the regs, several times.
OnX
Glass
Go solo for a while, prepare and plan.
Be self-reliant
Be careful, smart and patient.
Focus on the process not on the results
Study the local species you are targetting.

At least that is what I work on as a new hunter and I am finding game but man is really tuff to get close with a bow.
Good luck.

Hi everyone, totally new to hunting here (live in D16) and hoping to learn as much as I can from the forum and online and then getting out in the field. Just did my hunting and archery safety Ed courses and got my license. Planning to hunt archery/rifle next year, but for now scout and get my accuracy where I want it in the off-season.
The NWTF meetings are a good place to meet new hunters like minded people with lots of information.
WELCOME

Read, read read until you can't stand it.
Let it digest than put it into practice.
Hook up with more experience Hunter.
Go meet people bow range, gun shop, turkey federation meet and greets.
Study tracks, scat, great importance on safety. Start with small game and upland game. Work your way up. Don't get frustrated. It will take time just like any other skill. Work hard at it. And it will happen.

Go and spend time where you want to hunt. Learn who is out there and where they go. It is the time you put into the field that gets you the critter.

Calreef18 , you came to right place , we all share the passion here ! If your all Licensed up , Get out there this season . As we all say here ( Tis the season ) .

Biggest thing is getting out there a whole bunch in the beginning. Minimum 2 trips per month. And... mentally preparing yourself for the idea of hiking-in in the dark before the sun comes up and and staying until it's dark out and hiking-out in the dark.

To boost your confidence in that regard, what you may end up doing is schedule one outing where you don't hike-in in the dark, to get visually familiar with the layout of the trail/pathway into the area, stay until dark, then hike back out in the dark. Along the way if there are areas that look interesting for exploring the next time you come back there... plot a waypoint in your GPS and take it home and look at it in overhead sattelite view in Google maps just so your brain can kinda get an idea for where it is in relation to all the stuff you HAVE now seen in the daylight already.

Safety man... screenshot an overhead view of where you plan to go... edit the screenshot to show the direction you will plan to travel thru there and approx endpoints you're going to try to reach within there. Then email that stuff to somebody else whom you'll check-in with using a TXT of like "Home n safe" or something like that. With the instruction that if they don't here from you, they call the rangers for that area and forward them the email you made describing where you'd planned to go thru. Don't stray off the planned route by very much. Save that for the next outing! Think of each outing as like 1 move on a chess board. During each move you're gathering intel to help you form your next move.

Take at least 1 trekking pole and USE that mofo. Anything that seems a little too sketchy to traverse that particular way? Don't do it! Take your time and figure out another safer way around. Make sure in your Med kit you've got some pain-killers in there to allow you to hobble your ass outta there if you get jacked-up. Get yourself a Personal Locator Beacon! Cheap insurance man.

Biggest thing though? Just know "Yo, I got this!" and feel confident that with all your prep work you did you should be able to handle just about anything.

I highly recommend packing most of your hunting pack 1 or 2 nights BEFORE the night you have to go. You wanna be able to take your time and be very thoughtful in making sure you've got everything you should need. Any doubts? Double and Triple check whatever it is. You wanna be confident on the day of that you've got everything. Just grab n go that morning, ya know?

And for sure get yourself at least 2 TrailCams (and cable locks for them). When you find places where the evidence makes you think this is a choke point that they come thru, post up a TrailCam that points at that choke point. But don't put up the TrailCam too close to a trail, if you have to, try to hide it better by "brushing it in" just so other hunters don't see it and start thinking maybe this is a place they should be going to also.

When you do finally get lucky and take an animal. When you're done, make sure to put the remains off the trail, someplace where other hunters and hikers aren't going to see it. You don't need to be tipping off other hunters that there are deer there.

If you take pics of stuff to post on line, make sure the angle is either somewhat downward or somewhat upward. You don't want to leave too much background stuff showing in the shots that could tip-off some other savvy hunter to your location you were at when you took that pic.

I’m new as well and plan to swarm one or two spots this off-season and work through my gear, position and setup when I’m in my spot(s).

This is all really helpful and I appreciate the details. I’ve got a bow and rifle and really want to get into hunting. I’m finally at a place where I’ve got the time and resources to start learning. I’ll be putting this info to good use! I’ve found a spot or two that I really feel good about and have already been scouting several times.

I am going to start getting to my spots at least once a month before sunup to make sure I’m not fumbling through my setup when the season rolls around.

I have seen plenty of cat tracks and even found a kill sight this year of a baby calf. Any thoughts or concerns about being in an area where a big cat is definitely present? At least as far as hiking in the dark hours or anything else to be conscious of?

D16 or D15 would be my go to zones in CA...good luck, and please post him when you kill him.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu