Newbie lessons learned

Macsteve

Jun 23, 2016
In my career, after every project i complete a lessons learned. This I felt it important to think about my hunting and learn from that too.

After camping, I arrived at McCain about 615 down as far as the road will goes. Fully donned in scent free camp/mixed green clothing, I took off. Immediately found the amount of brush was crazy to navigate around. I found some dog/coyote scat and a couple of used shotgun shells. About 25 minutes and maybe a half mile-1 Mike in, I headed westward to higher ground in an attempt to get a view. I learned in McCain that due to the significant amount of brush, it's really hard to see everything from ground level, even as you hike up a hilltop. I veered over and climbed a 20' rock with a nice big bush on it to try and conceal. Shoved my little mojo critters spinning decoy into the crack, and made calls using my little electric caller. Tried cotton tail mostly, about 30-45 seconds in length a few minutes a part.

For about an hour I glassed, listened, and looked around bare eye and didn't see or hear a damn thing. I left about 830-9 and hiked back.

I think that

1. That area isn't so great for coyote hunting. There is very little area to draw a coyote out into and I'm sure I could be seen from a mile away on a stupid rock.

2. Clearly your success level raises exponentially with how deep you go, and going any further was just not worth it in this terrain. Perhaps this area is better for small game and maybe birds?

3. It gets really hot sitting on a rock for a hour.

4. This is why scouting is worthwhile.

I think I may try to scout CNF some time and see what that terrain is like. All about learning right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve,

I give you huge kudos for getting out there and seeing some of our county.....It's tough hunting in much of our habitat. And to be honest, many of our animals don't like it either.....Remember predators, especially coyotes have no problem living near man or roads.....You may not need to go back in as far as you might think......There is plenty of open country that will give you better vandage points too.

ps.....6:15 am is kind of late this time of year......wink.gif

There's some slightly better areas of McCain than down at the end there by the campground. Kinda thick in there like u said. South of there are some open areas with rock formations that u can set up on. Not a honey hole but u might have better luck.

a couple things...

worry less about camo and scent free clothing. yes its good to control your scent but your mouth gives off way more scent than the rest of you. If they get down wind of you they are going to smell you. does not mean they will run away however.

hard to tell how good or bad the area is, sometimes its on and sometimes its off. even the best areas go hot and cold for no reason. Its all about covering ground. Call for a bit then move on. If they are close by and hungry they will come in and most times come in fast. Deep in does not always equal more yotes. you would be amazed at how many coyotes are killed close to roads.

Do not judge a area by how you think it looks. some of the strangest places hold dogs! look for food and scat

try to sit in the shade not just because its cool but if they are in the sun they cant see you as well. do not be afraid to sit in heavy cover with little open area around you. Coyote action can be fast and crazy in that type of area.

HUNT as you scout, scout as you hunt. look for tracks and scat on dirt roads and go for it. You got the hardest part under your belt already " you got off your butt and into the field" just keep at it and things will start to make sense soon.

Aeon said:
a couple things...

worry less about camo and scent free clothing. yes its good to control your scent but your mouth gives off way more scent than the rest of you. If they get down wind of you they are going to smell you. does not mean they will run away however.

hard to tell how good or bad the area is, sometimes its on and sometimes its off. even the best areas go hot and cold for no reason. Its all about covering ground. Call for a bit then move on. If they are close by and hungry they will come in and most times come in fast. Deep in does not always equal more yotes. you would be amazed at how many coyotes are killed close to roads.

Do not judge a area by how you think it looks. some of the strangest places hold dogs! look for food and scat

try to sit in the shade not just because its cool but if they are in the sun they cant see you as well. do not be afraid to sit in heavy cover with little open area around you. Coyote action can be fast and crazy in that type of area.

HUNT as you scout, scout as you hunt. look for tracks and scat on dirt roads and go for it. You got the hardest part under your belt already " you got off your butt and into the field" just keep at it and things will start to make sense soon.
Great replies all, great advice too and I appreciate it.

Question: trying to understand the hot/cold times, you can only hunt before/ up to 30 minutes of sunrise/subset respectively correct? Does that mean you can go out early and wait until then before calling etc?

I did find what looked like dog poop and some broke open to have berries in it so I assumed it was coyote. I did see a few spots on either side of the roads that were within the allowable hunting range I felt would be worth to try. I'll keep trying.

Part of me was wondering if I could go early enough and still make it to the office in business casual by 830...lol

Yotes you can hunt them at anytime.

It's confusing but you should have the regs and know then inside & out

ah I didn't see the certain counties only.

If I'm reading right, this is the reg

Furbearing mammals and nongame mammals may be taken with the aid of a spotlight or other artificial light operated from a vehicle provided such vehicle is stopped and standing with the motor off. No spotlight may be used from a vehicle which is on a public road or highway

Meaning I have to use my vehicle if it's legitimate night hunting. I'm not about to do that. However I wouldn't be against trying right at/before sunset. Perhaps I'll shoot for that time next

No, it doesn't mean just your truck. Spotlight on foot or you can use one from the truck. Which really means you can drive and use your light from the truck as long as your off the road and engine off.

The code is very confusing so keep asking questions.

I like early evening into dark or 3am to after sunrise.

MJB said:
No, it doesn't mean just your truck. Spotlight on foot or you can use one from the truck. Which really means you can drive and use your light from the truck as long as your off the road and engine off.

The code is very confusing so keep asking questions.

I like early evening into dark or 3am to after sunrise.
Is my rifle with a 3-9x40 scope too much? Seems a shotgun or basic dot site is what's needed because it sounds like we're working on 50 yards with super limited light

That's tuff every area can be different if you have two hunters one with #4 buck & the other with a rifle is the best. Your set up should be fine for most shots just set the scope on the lowest setting for more light and if you get one close.

You can also use bait as long as you don't have a dog with you.

That's tuff every area can be different if you have two hunters one with #4 buck & the other with a rifle is the best. Your set up should be fine for most shots just set the scope on the lowest setting for more light and if you get one close.

You can also use bait as long as you don't have a dog with you.
yeah that's correct, I did read that.

so if I use my headband as a spotlight and my lantern sitting in front of me to guard my shape, the coyote won't realize I'm there? seems like a dead give a way no?

yeah that's correct, I did read that.

so if I use my headband as a spotlight and my lantern sitting in front of me to guard my shape, the coyote won't realize I'm there? seems like a dead give a way no?

Headband light won't cut it as a spot light. I don't understand the lantern guarding your shape

Most of the time I turn my light on red just to do a scan every so often or if my dog alerts me to something else

Headband light won't cut it as a spot light. I don't understand the lantern guarding your shape

Most of the time I turn my light on red just to do a scan every so often or if my dog alerts me to something else
In my mind, if coyotes don't care about light then I can use my headlight as a spot light, put my decoy xx yards out and my lantern kind of near it. Lantern illuminates decoy and I'm far back enough hidden out of vision.

Am I wrong here?

They see fine in the dark a bright light will only scare them away.

That's why people use a red light they can't see it but you can

They see fine in the dark a bright light will only scare them away.

That's why people use a red light they can't see it but you can
That makes sense. Then what's the deal with spotlights?

Red plastic wrap or mylar over your spotlight is cheap. And gets the job done.
Also take the cardboard from a toilet paper roll and put it on you light like a shield to direct the light forward into a tight pattern.

Red plastic wrap or mylar over your spotlight is cheap. And gets the job done.
Also take the cardboard from a toilet paper roll and put it on you light like a shield to direct the light forward into a tight pattern.
that's more my style for now. I'll give this a shot!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu