Newbie lessons learned

This isn't the most productive time of year to call coyotes so keep that in mind. They are raising pups and there is a lot of food available for them to eat. During this time of year prey distress sounds can and do work but I have the most success with coyote vocalizations(howls, pup distress). There are a lot of coyotes in the greater McCain valley area but that place gets a ton of pressure from other predator hunters which leads to educated coyotes that will be more hesitant to respond.

Interesting. My caller does have a coyote howl feature, maybe I'll give that a shot.

Would you recommend going in further then 200 yards or so to begin calling then? its so dense and like a labyrinth to get through I didn't really go that far.

Send ma a PM with your email

I have a good read on yotes & yote hunting that should answer a few questions you have

Decoy dogs are the best right now but foxtails are a no no for my dogs

Interesting. My caller does have a coyote howl feature, maybe I'll give that a shot.

Would you recommend going in further then 200 yards or so to begin calling then? its so dense and like a labyrinth to get through I didn't really go that far.

I let the terrain, conditions, local hunting pressure, and a lot of other variables dictate how far I get from the vehicle before I start calling and how I call for that matter. There are times that I have called in coyotes when I was 20 yards away from my vehicle and other times when I have walked in half a mile or more to setup. My main corcern is visibility. I like to try and setup in an elevated position if possible. Since you are just starting out I would recommend the following: 1) Get at least a few hundred yards from your vehicle. 2) Set up in an area with good visibility where you can see approaching coyotes. 3) Make sure you call with the wind in your face or setup in a crosswind. 4) Try not to silhouette yourself on the horizon.

I'm voting for this as the best thread of the month. Great info!! It will save me from many failed coyote attempts in the future (I would have just used a bright white spotlight and now I know that wouldn't have worked).

I haven't gotten into predator hunting this year (yet) but maybe after D16.

Keep after it Macsteve you are an inspiration for us all to get off the couch every chance we get and get into the field.

I started this at breakfast man. I just ask a bunch of questions.

the stupidest question is the one not asked as they say

rd2.

went out and tried again last weekend in the D15 area. this time was a bit more planned out. started about 1am, used a spotlight from the vehicle to try and locate some eyes, when something was possibly seen we checked it out w/ a green flashlight to try and ID it.
No luck on anything legally huntable that way. definitely saw some fawn and a fox or 2; even if it was in season on fox the trek to pick it up would be horrific so I don't know if the shot is even worth it.

Entered the field from about 3am-5am. spent a lot of time laying down, listening/green light spotting. trekked maybe 300 yards or so and still no luck.

It's really hard to get around and move a few hundred yards after no success, its virtually impossible to see anything or navigate at night.

I'm thinking the area we were in really just had no coyote, we covered a lot of land by car and didn't even hear so much as a howl.

I'm considering trying Mccain Valley again at night time and use the spotlight method of looking around etc. just spent about $120 on spotlight/headlamp w/ green/white, and a green flash light.

We also did a bit of rabbit hunting in the morning. I got 3 shots within the first 5 minutes off, had been awhile since I used a shotgun and placed them too high so he got away. after that we were too slow, everytime we saw one he was in the deep brush before I could even raise the weapon. Small game hunting is a lot of fun though, there's got to be a better way then just running around and exploring brush to brush.

Lessons Learned:
1. If you get out of the car to check a spot out, load a round or 2 and bring the weapon. nothing like seeing some eyes and missing your chance.
2. Still very hard to navigate around at night. I guess your best chance is to just hope you see or hear something and do your best
3. Animals seriously don't care if you shine a green light in their face.
4. with lighting, driving, and shooting; hunting by yourself at night seems very hard.
5. Rabbits are fast little F'ers

Last edited:
Good work getting out there. Sometimes wabbits will come back out after a few minutes if they thinki the coast is clear and then you can take them out, well at least that happens to me down here in the IV.

if you find one and he gets away from ya, do you just camouflage a bit and stay quiet/wait?

If there's high ground, find that, and let the game do the moving, especially if you're hunting with a rifle.....Be it rabbits or anything else.....If you're busting brush, then try to have shooting lanes or areas ahead of you that have openings.....And if the brush is tall & thick, save your breath.....Go to the IV.....;)

If there's high ground, find that, and let the game do the moving, especially if you're hunting with a rifle.....Be it rabbits or anything else.....If you're busting brush, then try to have shooting lanes or areas ahead of you that have openings.....And if the brush is tall & thick, save your breath.....Go to the IV.....;)

IV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of farm edges around the New & Alamo Rivers......Also, tons of country around the town of Seeley. Which is on the west side of the valley. So less than 2 hours away, depending on where you live in SD Co.....This is small game, bird, and predator country.

Reactions: Macsteve
Lots of farm edges around the New & Alamo Rivers......Also, tons of country around the town of Seeley. Which is on the west side of the valley. So less than 2 hours away, depending on where you live in SD Co.....This is small game, bird, and predator country.

I'm in red neck central of spring valley.

Okay maybe more like welfare central- hey what can I say I own the joint. I'll check out seeley!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm getting through it. its a really longwinded book. thus far his type of hunting environment is vastly different then mine.
have learned some small things

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu