Next Rifle Build

Drew I see your point and if I was gonna build a rig I’d build one that is packable. The game has changed so much. I still roll in the mountains with a sub 1000 dollar rig and believe me nothing cares what’s shoots them.

I do like what your saying for sure though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 180ls1 and TRICER
Drew I see your point and if I was gonna build a rig I’d build one that is packable. The game has changed so much. I still roll in the mountains with a sun 1000 dollar rig and believe me nothing cares what’s shoots them.

I do like what your saying for sure though.
Way more animals die with a sub $1k rig every year than anything else. Guns a are fun.

Those chassis guns are definitely where everything is headed. I know a guy who grabbed a Sig Cross. I still like my traditional bolt gun (for the time being) but the short barrel and folding stock are pretty neat. It fits nicely INSIDE a pack. That could have a lot of upsides, especially in populated areas.

If it were me, I would want the gun to be a "clone" of my hunting rifle. Having something that you are extremely comfortable with, know the feeling, safety, cheek weld, trigger, and all that jazz would be the most beneficial IMO. I am hunting-focused though and everything I do revolves around that.

Light weight and packability are becoming a major factor in hunting. Also guys are now running silencers we don’t have that luxury yet but hopefully someday. A 20” PRC still pushes a 140G bullet over 2900FPS. That’s a deer killing machine way past any of our capability. The thinking behind it is compact gun that is still over 100+ fps faster than a creedmore or 260Rem.
Drew, with all due respect you are a very smart human no doubt. I admire your Tricer product line and will own it at one point in time. I've humped a lot of stuff over the years and as my mid sixties set in lighter is better but I also have the perspective of time along with technology have to say you will never see suppressors easily available in California ever period. The issue with suppressors is stupid IMO . England has some of the most restrictive gun ownership in the world but they are on the verge of requiring it, go figure... As far as what a 6.5 prc and 7 saum can do it makes sense. I am old school so anything less than 3000 fps falls below my standard for performance, The thing that comes to mind to me is to how much calculation comes into play when you use these cartridges. Give me a 7 mag with 160's and I can hit all day out to 400 and thats my self imposed limit. Congrats to all that can do better and someday given time I would like to explore those longer distances. I just don't have time on my calendar at the moment. Rifle technology has come along way since I started shooting and reloading in the 70's, it intirgues me and will continue to pursue it as long as time allows. Keep after it I enjoy the input..

Drew, with all due respect you are a very smart human no doubt. I admire your Tricer product line and will own it at one point in time. I've humped a lot of stuff over the years and as my mid sixties set in lighter is better but I also have the perspective of time along with technology have to say you will never see suppressors easily available in California ever period. The issue with suppressors is stupid IMO . England has some of the most restrictive gun ownership in the world but they are on the verge of requiring it, go figure... As far as what a 6.5 prc and 7 saum can do it makes sense. I am old school so anything less than 3000 fps falls below my standard for performance, The thing that comes to mind to me is to how much calculation comes into play when you use these cartridges. Give me a 7 mag with 160's and I can hit all day out to 400 and thats my self imposed limit. Congrats to all that can do better and someday given time I would like to explore those longer distances. I just don't have time on my calendar at the moment. Rifle technology has come along way since I started shooting and reloading in the 70's, it intirgues me and will continue to pursue it as long as time allows. Keep after it I enjoy the input..
I learned a similar lesson last year with a newer, lighter, faster, smaller bow. It just was nowhere near as easy to shoot/hold especially when I had been hiking all week, was out of position, and had limited time trying to make the kill and so on... I went back to a forgiving, heavier, longer set up, and man it just holds so well and I have no doubt it'll be a better killer. I got a little too caught up with the latest and greatest instead of figuring out what worked for me, in the field.

these chassis guns with an arca mount on a tripod are as balanced and solid as you are going to find. The gun wont be super light but it will be packable I imagine that rifle is still going to be over 8lbs all in. Keep in mind I shoot a 9ln rifle with a 24" barrel before the brake. But if I were to build a gun it would be one of the short chassis guns for packing reasons.

these chassis guns with an arca mount on a tripod are as balanced and solid as you are going to find. The gun wont be super light but it will be packable I imagine that rifle is still going to be over 8lbs all in. Keep in mind I shoot a 9ln rifle with a 24" barrel before the brake. But if I were to build a gun it would be one of the short chassis guns for packing reasons.

Plus they look bad ass !

Reactions: Quacker Hacker
Molly stays in the truck until it's go time as she is a Big Bad Fat Bitch with an attitude...she gets the call a few times a year for the long shots...and she hates to lose... Old Molly Hatchet has never disappointed me...I love Molly..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220708-112022.png
    Screenshot_20220708-112022.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
Reactions: NBK
Molly stays in the truck until it's go time as she is a Big Bad Fat Bitch with an attitude...she gets the call a few times a year for the long shots...and she hates to lose... Old Molly Hatchet has never disappointed me...I love Molly..

Oh she’s pretty

Reactions: HATCHET1
She is
.in a heavy kind a way
.the bigger the coushion..the sweeter the pushin...or so I have read .lol..

• Haha
Reactions: ilovesprig
Not sure why weight is a problem, even import side mirrors can support a 12lb gun. Fords are good up to 17lbs

• Haha
Reactions: ilovesprig
Not sure why weight is a problem, even import side mirrors can support a 12lb gun. Fords are good up to 17lbs
Truth..if it's been thought about..I've prolly done it..

Well action and barrel are ordered. I ended up going with a Brux #4 1:7.5 @ 24. Now the 9-12 month waiting period begins.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

With the new law here are you going to have to stamp a code on the firing pin, that law is designed to kill new gun sales here in Ca, even though they say it will make tracing firearms easier manufacturers are not going to re-tool just to please one state.

Reactions: Josh S.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu