NM Cougar

Herson

Jun 10, 2020
The most exciting hunt to date.

I was chilling doing some hw on a snowing afternoon (which is rare for this southern region I am in). When my buddy calls me and says we should drive around tomorrow and try to cut a track. I agreed to skip class and go out the next morning. (11pm) I went to the back yard and tried to Broadhead tune my bow and got it as close as I could. I even broke an arrow.... in the process. (12am) I started packing my cold gear and getting the truck ready. (230am) I woke up and jumped in the truck. What was a 30 minute drive turned into a 1.5 hour drive through the icy roads. We saw some cat hunters arriving right behind us so we loaded up and made it to the trail before any of them. (5am) We cut a nice track and hopped out to get an idea of where it was going. When all of a sudden another cat hunter shows up behind us so we hopped in the car and kept driving. (530am) We cut another track a few miles away... we decided to go back to the first track and wait until legal light to release the dogs. As we drove back we ran into 2 more cat hunters that were late. (7am)We let the hounds out and they take off strong on the tracks. (730) They had the cat treed (nothing beats the sound of hounds). I placed an arrow in the chest and the cat expired seconds later on the tree. I had to climb up to get it down. On to the next track. We made it to the seconds track and release the hounds. They trailed the cat of 12 mile until it was treed. They did a good job of staying focused on the cat track when they ran through a herd of elk. (2pm) The second cat was treed and we had to hike a few miles in because they conveniently treed it on a saddle. My buddy took the second cougar. What a hunt, totally worth ditching classes, after all it is senior year. Had to read up on CA laws regarding this... the tanned hide will have to stay with my brother here. :confused: Enjoy the PicstempImageLI7Sxs.png(Cat #1) IMG_2468.jpg(Cat #2)

Attachments

• tempImage4A1Aqf.png
    tempImage4A1Aqf.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 55
  • tempImage9rKpVr.png
    tempImage9rKpVr.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 59
  • Lion.mp4
    11.8 MB
Last edited:
Double Outstanding!!! Hell ya!! El Gato is Dead!!! Great job....I love Hounds..Hard to beat the thrill of chasing long tails behind um!!! Fantastic job Dude...Music to my ears.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220122-143608.png
    Screenshot_20220122-143608.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Reactions: DoubleTrouble
A twofer, nice going. Skipping class paid for me one time. I got my first buck by doing just that. Again, nice going.

I got nothing but sweet music on your video attachment? Black screen.. Did you get the shank on film? Or just music?: GREAT music by the way!

So awesome! Congratulations. I hope to one day move out of this state and kill a big Tom behind some dogs and get it mounted.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu