No public land in San Diego?

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
I just want to throw this out there. I have been scouting a massive amount, like really massive. I don't even know how many thousands of acres of Cleveland that is basically land locked. After a ton of gas and a few doors knocked on, I have now found not one but two access points to this land. I spent hours on dirt roads covered in sign. Not to mention this location allows for miles and miles of backpacking away from the road. San Diego has a plethora of public land get out there and discover it. There is public land from the border to Temecula and everywhere in between. More public land in D16 than one man could possibly hunt. I continually add to my quiver of hunting spots year after year.
PS 4x4 helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Goyaałé
Well that is true. But the BLM an NF keep shrinking. For example look at areas been taken over by anza borego state park. And land being sold to corporations. Example there was over 700 acres of BLM behind my land, was sold to a corporation. I was fucking pissed, but not dam I could do about it. Live here my whole life. Seen many changes. Look at the amazing amount of anza state park. It's getting bigger. Just venting.

Reactions: josecasillas
Great example of why we don't want to turn our public lands over to the states. With as bad a CA with money the land would be sold in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Bonejour
Drew,

I've been saying this for a long time.....Yes, there are areas that are blocked or hard to access, but there's way more public land than any one person could hunt or even scout.

With all the stuff guys have these days (Google Earth, Onx Maps, etc.) there's no excuse to not have places to hunt......Especially deer.

Reactions: TRICER
Ya Steve that is the point of this post. We get guys on here all the time that have a hard time finding a rabbit let alone a deer. I want people to get out there and start looking or actually I guess I don't, stay home and keep doing what you are doing. But seriously now is the time to go out and scout or like I do coyote hunt. Coyote hunting is a great way to be productive and scout some new stuff. Every major hwy and freeway in SD has access to public land not far from it yet people cant seem to access it or I guess really just want to be told exactly where to park and how to get in.
With ONX maps there really is no excuse

Drew,

It's no different than me going to another state turkey hunting that I've never been too.....I basically start at square one.....Call anyone I know in that state, call NWTF, call DFG, and go on the internet for videos or info about the targeted area.

It's not that difficult, even for an old guy like me......lol

ps.....Living near SD does help for time driving & costs......And getting info about the CNF, IV, and local wildlife areas.

I am hunting AZ and NM this year and have talked to game managers for both units I will be in. Game managers are a huge help in fact both states managers told me they want me to succeed. But I also took it upon myself to make maps for them with areas I was looking at. Like anyone if I call them and say where should I go and don't put any effort in they will not appreciate it. The guy from AZ gave me his cel number and has corresponded with me multiple times. We spent at least 30 minutes one day going over maps.

Reactions: 2dogs1name
CO is the same way. I talk to bios and wardens all the time before going out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

California is no different

A few years ago I drew an Antelope tag for Clear Lake.

Now mind you I had been putting in for this same tag since I could and always had this plan of staying at the lake and fishing bass in the middle of the day or the week before during scouting trips

Needless to say I hadn't done a lot of research on the tag because when I finally got drawn and looked into it I was quite surprised that it was not the "Clear Lake" that I had thought it was:worried: oops!!!

I spoke to both the State Biologist as well as the Federal warden.

When I arrived and did some scouting they both reached out to me to give me info on what they had seen and to let me know where the other hunters would be.

The Federal wildlife officer actually had me follow him to an area that he thought would produce that hadn't gotten any pressure. I shot my buck 20 minutes later exactly where he said I would...

It pays to call, be prepared with info and your own ideas, be polite and gracious.

All parties involved wanted me to be successful... still caught fish though

Reactions: TRICER
You had better luck with DFW then I did. I just called them this morning as a new hunter looking for information about the D12 area and hunting Jack rabbits near Desert Hot Springs or Palm Desert and was basically told to go buy a CA hunting map..... And hung up on. Which I guess I better find one. I wanted to go out next weekend. I have OnX but I wanted a bit of local knowledge as well from those incharge of the area.... No luck with rangers either. They don't pick up their phones.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

You had better luck with DFW then I did. I just called them this morning as a new hunter looking for information about the D12 area and hunting Jack rabbits near Desert Hot Springs or Palm Desert and was basically told to go buy a CA hunting map..... And hung up on. Which I guess I better find one. I wanted to go out next weekend. I have OnX but I wanted a bit of local knowledge as well from those incharge of the area.... No luck with rangers either. They don't pick up their phones.

If you spoke with a desk person, then that's typical -- they won't know much other than to refer you to maps. The wildlife biologists and wardens are much more helpful with that sort of info but may be more difficult to contact. If it's only jackrabbits you're after, I would recommend picking out a few spots on the map (BLM land most likely), then Google Earth them to see if it looks relatively flat with mixed desert chaparral/scrub brush. Then go walk it in the early morning and look for those pink ears poking through the sunlight.

Jack rabbit hunting is alright. Get a coyote call and go to the same areas sit down play the wind and call some dogs in . When your out there you will also see some jacks around.

Reactions: PyroTekRob
Jack rabbit hunting is alright. Get a coyote call and go to the same areas sit down play the wind and call some dogs in . When your out there you will also see some jacks around.
Cant eat coyote.. But if I see some ill shoot them. Figured jacks would be a decent first hunt.

My buddy got put on a buck last year by a DFW warden in San Diego. Ran into the guy in the field. After checking all his paperwork and weapon the warden described to him exactly were to find the buck.

Surprised the hell out of me but glad to know there's still a few good guys out there that get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would wager to say that coyote probably tastes the same if not better than jacks. I am not the biggest jack fan.
X2.

I have shot a ton of jacks. Pretty sure every single one was filled with worms. If you want bunnies to eat i'd hunt cottontail (when in season).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu