Non hunter in blind - can they call?

Dave3006

Nov 26, 2019
After 33 years of marriage, my wife has started going hunting with me. She has been to Wister and SJ. She had the time of her life both times. She doesn't shoot. She just goes as an observer. I don't see that changing in the near future. She just likes being out there.

If I gave her a teal whistle, would it be legal for her to use it as a non-hunter?

I thought that would get her more involved in the process. But, I have serious doubts if that is okay. So, I wanted to ask.

P.S. Both times she went, I shot the best I have ever shot in my life. She was totally impressed. Little does she know how bad I can really suck. Heck, some days, I am tempted to just grab the gun by the barrel and try swatting them from the sky.

Dave,

Perfectly OK.....Just needs to be signed in as a non-shooter (wildlife areas & refuges)............................. :blush:

Reactions: Duckfan
She can set deeks, pick up deeks, retrieve birds and do all the calling. Put her to work, she will love it.

Reactions: Duckfan
Oh damn, too funny! When I first read it, I was thinking can she call? Call her friend on the cell and tell her what an awesome time she was having? After 33 years, she can do whatever she wants if she’s hanging out in the blind! Lol. just keep it down…

After 33 years of marriage, my wife has started going hunting with me. She has been to Wister and SJ. She had the time of her life both times. She doesn't shoot. She just goes as an observer. I don't see that changing in the near future. She just likes being out there.

If I gave her a teal whistle, would it be legal for her to use it as a non-hunter?

I thought that would get her more involved in the process. But, I have serious doubts if that is okay. So, I wanted to ask.

P.S. Both times she went, I shot the best I have ever shot in my life. She was totally impressed. Little does she know how bad I can really suck. Heck, some days, I am tempted to just grab the gun by the barrel and try swatting them from the sky.
For teal it's a non-issue and a great way to get others involved, similar to guides for snow geese handing out kazoos at times. The issue with calling is when the birds are weary and even minor mistakes could send them flaring away.

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu