Non Lead Bullet for 50 Cal Hawkins

Smokey58

May 10, 2018
Howdy All, what are the most effective non lead bullets on the market for a Hawkins or a Kentucky rifle. Forgive my ignorance, but I might be buying one or both and would like to hunt in california with it. Thanks, M

Reactions: Blkpowder Hunter

Smokey58

May 10, 2018
I actually shot one of those BMG beauties in Texas, a buddy owns one. I have also shot the Ma Deuce many times while in uniform :)

Reactions: THE_NEW_GUY
Jan 3, 2020
Howdy All, what are the most effective non lead bullets on the market for a Hawkins or a Kentucky rifle. Forgive my ignorance, but I might be buying one or both and would like to hunt in california with it. Thanks, M
I went through this not long ago. I shoot a .50 Hawken and bought some non-lead balls to hunt with. I tried them out at the range and they were fine and not a lot different than the PRB. I got them from TomBob Outdoors http://tomboboutdoors.com/products/. Because they are not lead, you will need to use a thicker patch. I think they are about .485 in diameter. Do you know what the twist is on your rifle? If it’s a 1:48 you can also shoot a sabot, but if its a 1:60 or slower you will need to shoot a patched round ball.

Reactions: Smokey58

White Smoke

Black powder rules!
May 2, 2011
Encinitas, CA
I would go with Thor. Email them and request a free sizing pack to get the exact bullet for your bore. These are a full-bore "X" bullet from Barnes are are a GREAT bullet.

Reactions: Smokey58

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu