Non Lead Bullet for 50 Cal Hawkins

Smokey58

May 10, 2018
Howdy All, what are the most effective non lead bullets on the market for a Hawkins or a Kentucky rifle. Forgive my ignorance, but I might be buying one or both and would like to hunt in california with it. Thanks, M

Reactions: Blkpowder Hunter
I actually shot one of those BMG beauties in Texas, a buddy owns one. I have also shot the Ma Deuce many times while in uniform :)

Reactions: THE_NEW_GUY
Howdy All, what are the most effective non lead bullets on the market for a Hawkins or a Kentucky rifle. Forgive my ignorance, but I might be buying one or both and would like to hunt in california with it. Thanks, M
I went through this not long ago. I shoot a .50 Hawken and bought some non-lead balls to hunt with. I tried them out at the range and they were fine and not a lot different than the PRB. I got them from TomBob Outdoors http://tomboboutdoors.com/products/. Because they are not lead, you will need to use a thicker patch. I think they are about .485 in diameter. Do you know what the twist is on your rifle? If it’s a 1:48 you can also shoot a sabot, but if its a 1:60 or slower you will need to shoot a patched round ball.

Reactions: Smokey58
I would go with Thor. Email them and request a free sizing pack to get the exact bullet for your bore. These are a full-bore "X" bullet from Barnes are are a GREAT bullet.

Since I'm here again, I thought I would give you a second choice. I'm assuming you are buying a 50 caliber, which is the most popular caliber sold today. You can also try a Barnes 50 caliber (actual diameter is .451) 245 grain Spitfire MZ BT. They come all packaged with yellow HPH-24 sabots. If that sabot is the wrong size for your muzzleloader, you can always buy a different size from HPH and switch them out. My load with that one is 90 grains of Blackhorn 209 and it gives me three rounds touching at 100 yards. As a disclaimer, that was shot using a scope, which is not legal during muzzleloader hunting season. During the general season, it's fine to use. Good luck.

White Smoke you’re shooting an inline correct? The OP asked about a Hawken, so he could shoot a sabot but not your load. I guess you could mount a scope on a Hawken?

I shoot a 50 cal in-line and a 45 Hawken. For the in-line, I use the 245 Spitfire MZ BT with the HPH-24 sabot and 90 grains of Blackhorn 209. For the Hawken, I use the 10mm (.400) 195 grain Expander MZ with a tan 45 caliber MMP sabot. The load with that one is 90 grains of Triple Se7en FFFg. For out-of-state hunting, I use the .400 (10mm) 200 grain Hornady XTP with the same sabot and load as before. That one puts four rounds in one hole at 50 yards. BTW, I use peep sights on both the in-line and Hawken. MUCH more accurate than blade sights.

Nice, you're a better shot than I am. I've not tried a sabot in my 1:48, twist and the 1:60 won't use a sabot.

Try the sabot round in the 1:48. For the 1:60, you are relegated to a ball-shooter, but there are non-lead balls out there. I have not tried any, but an earlier post said they shoot fine. You'll just have to try them to see.

Try the sabot round in the 1:48. For the 1:60, you are relegated to a ball-shooter, but there are non-lead balls out there. I have not tried any, but an earlier post said they shoot fine. You'll just have to try them to see.
White Smoke, I’m the guy who posted on the non-lead balls. They shoot fine buy you have to adjust the patch size because they don’t compress in the barrel like lead. I will try sabot but am thinking about trying the Thor bullets, actually I have a question about those, do they require an overwad on the powder?

No. It's only the bullet. The skirt is thinner and the base concave. When the powder goes off, the skirt expands into the rifling and seals. No wad or patch. Nothing but the bullet.

Thanks, for the reply so technology has marched on back to the 1860 mini-ball. What's old is new again. A quick question, where do you shoot bp?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu