Odd quail hunt

I heard they were expanding their range into Nevada, so maybe they’re expanding further into California too.

Hunted the west facing slopes of the Cleveland Nat Forest today for quail. Quail was slow but got a bird I’ve never shot in the mountains before- a white wing dove. Anyone else ever see white wings in the mountains? I usually just see them in the desert...View attachment 47128
I've shot a couple white wings in San Felipe Valley but haven't seen many in the mountains. Mostly mourning and euros up there.

For a number of years, it was illegal to shoot white-wings in any county except Riverside, San Bernardino, and Imperial...Had some friends shoot a bunch near Butterfield Campground near Scissors Crossing (S-2)...They got checked by a Borrego state park ranger...He didn't know they were white-wings... :blush:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu