Oh Canada.....2018

Well, we woke up to freezing rain, regular rain, & sleet after snow over night.....Damn cold and damn wet....Whoever said this was duck weather was not a duck hunter.....lol

Couple 3 good bunches of mallards came in right off the bat and they paid the price....Then it was a trickle of ducks, but enough for 16 (including first 3 pintail)....This field was loaded with specks and snows, but despite putting out a large brown & white spread, it was no dice.....Maybe, just too many eyeballs....Ended with 3 honkers and 1 speck.

Big pot of goose chili, eggs, and tortillas hit the spot in our farm house.

.054.JPG055.JPG006.JPG008.JPG011.JPG016.JPG017.JPG003.JPG

No defense necessary Steve, Just really enjoyed the clinched eye frown in the blind compared to the goose chili pic where they are waiting for there share of the game that they gathered for you. I guess that's what make's us love critters beyond out genre. I wouldn't train dogs if it was not for those moment's.

Fred,

Speaking of training.....We have Beau the 5 month old chocolate that I got for my cousin.....This picture shows Trigger looking out the window as Beau's being trained with real ducks.....Trigger's drive has always been great, but as he turns 9.....He is starting to slow down after the hunts.....Kinda sad watching him turn to a senior dog.

.009.JPG

Weather has sucked and today was the 1st day we've had no rain (still cold & drizzly).....Got into a pretty good honker spot this morning and while I was sitting waiting for shoot time.....I remembered I had not renewed my 6 day license.....WTF!.....So Ronnie got a great honker shoot and got his limit of 8.....lol

After today there's not much break again in the wet weather.....So Jacob & Mike have decided not come up and we will be heading back to Southern Alberta for a possible shoot.....Then Montana.....Back at it tomorrow morning in the rain.

.005.JPG010.JPG015.JPG019.JPG051.JPG

Wow. Gorgeous country. Too bad about the weather.......

Son....Weather was pretty good today (just a little rain....lol)…..Ronnie took one of the farmers out in a barley field with layouts and I hunted with just Trigger in a slough near by.....They had a great shoot, 4 specks and 12 honkers …..I ended up with 1 honker, 5 widgeon, 2 gaddys, and a blue winger (for Beau).

Nice weather tomorrow....So we're heading for southern Alberta....The rest of the week is going to be nasty.

.001.JPG003.JPG012.JPG022.JPG024.JPG

Beau the up and comer! Trigger’s getting as grey as Jazz.
I’ve have a few of my best hunts with you in the nastiest weather...bring it on....on my way....jk
Good luck in So. Alb.

What a life. Good for you Steve, quality time with your cousin and most of all your hunting partner.

Last day in Canada today....Did a quick shoot near our southern base.....Pretty much fogged in, but still managed 7 honkers and 5 ducks (passed on ducks early)….Just talked to our friends in the Parklands and it's starting to rain & snow....Again.

The weather must have followed us into Montana this afternoon.....Raining like crazy.....lol

.009.JPG010.JPG013.JPG025.JPG027.JPG022.JPG034.JPG050.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu