Only one quail.........

JosueMoney

Apr 1, 2018
Well in case you all wondering, hunting quail without a dog is hard. Went out this AM with my buddy and flushed a couple but they are quick. Good times!!! I only got one and I had a meal tonight that I harvested!!! Doesn't get better than that! Any tips from anyone on how to hunt without a dog?? I have a call so that helped a bit. Good luck out there!!!!!!!

Josue,

The key to hunting quail without a dog (which I rarely do), is to listen for them, put visual, then move in to flush.....Once flushed, they will try to reassemble.....The common CHI-CA-GO call will be what they use.....After you shoot one.....Go directly to where it went down.....If there's any life at all, they will try to hide.....Look for feathers and movement.

Desert quail like to run (all quail & chukar do)….So, sometimes you do.....And old Indian once told me.....Act like rabbit, shoot like rabbit.....lol

Good luck

Well in case you all wondering, hunting quail without a dog is hard. Went out this AM with my buddy and flushed a couple but they are quick. Good times!!! I only got one and I had a meal tonight that I harvested!!! Doesn't get better than that! Any tips from anyone on how to hunt without a dog?? I have a call so that helped a bit. Good luck out there!!!!!!!
Good effort. I don’t have a dog either. Tips: 1) listen for them 2) make location notes anytime you see them, in or out of season. They seem to stay in the same areas over time. 3) after you down one don’t take your eyes off of it until you recover it. Forgot about trying to shoot more in the flush. 4). Pray for rain.

Right on getting on them
Yes they are a tough bird to hunt without a dog. Lot easier with a bird dog.
But I have struggled with out for long time. Dam things are smart too.
I use a home made quail call. But the purchased ones work great.
I listen for their calls and that is how I locate them . When I bust the covey I use a locater call to get to come in. They well call to each other.
I try to shoot 1 or 2 o make sure I don't lose eye contact were it fell.
If you lose sight of it it's tough to find. So shoot 1 or 2 find them then call them in or relocate them.
If you chase them it will sit tight and not move. With out a dog to locate it
It is nearly impossible.
I use to hunt mountain quail same way. They are very sneaky
You can hear them but won't budge.
And you can't see them.
I use to hunt them with a single shot
Break open HR shot gun. When was a kid. 1 or 2 at a time. The local mountains use to be loaded with them. Don't see as many now on public.

If you can try to hunt them in medium density cover areas. Too sparse of an area they tend to run or flush out really far. To dense and they end up flushing out the backside of large bushes constantly or not at all. Once you locate the covey approach them from an angle that be advantageous to you in regards to shooting lanes, what area they are going to be flushed to, etc. If they have to flush away into a strong wind for example that'll make them slower and easier to hit.

Remembering or marking where you see the birds is very good advice. If you really put in time to an area over the years you will find there are hot spots in the area they like to go and even spots inside of those spots. I have a few areas where I'd say there are particular bushes the birds tend to favor over others. When you get to that point your then able to recognize those types of features and identify similar ones in new areas.

Valley Quail I feel are usually where they flushed to or not far from. It's not like they flush and hit the ground running and are gone when you get there, they are just hiding. Without a dog your not sure where they are. Start zigging back and forth going right up to the bushes you think or sometimes know they are in. Sometimes it takes going right up to the bush. Sounds sometimes can prompt them to flush. This may sound crazy but later in the season I'll half rack my shotgun and they'll flush right then. You can also kick a bush and blow air though your lips hard to make the flushing sound sometimes that works. I've had them go at text alerts from the phone or the triple beep from the gopro turning off when the battery dies.

And sometimes they are just holding tight. Leave or just stay there silently and give them 10 or 15 or more. When they think your gone they will start calling to each other (and you) and they can be found again. Other times it's better to give them more time and assemble back into a covey and start again.

And walk. A lot. Without a dog to sniff them out you have to make up for it by covering more ground.

I hunt quail without a dog as well. I look as far ahead as possible to locate them running from on bush into the other and also listen for either the chicago or the metallic alarm sound. Once I see or hear them, I move slowly until I get in shooting range.

Reactions: JosueMoney

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu