Opening day Success

wiley

Feb 11, 2014
After striking out last weekend with the grandkids on their Junior hunt, I found a spot off the beaten path that was holding turkeys, figure out my game plan and head out solo this morning for my spot only to find the access gate locked...WTF...ok plan B that I didn't really have, actually plan b and c were on the other side of the gates too..lol

So I make a u turn and turn on my onxmap to try and find nearby blm or cnf access roads, right after sunrise I find something that looks promising, I pull in there and right away see 4 hens with a couple of toms right on the dirt road heading to private land.. look over at my onxmap and it shows I'm just inside the cnf boundary. ..I park grab my gear and head for a treeline that puts me further in cnf about 150 yards from where the turkeys were, get all set up and start calling and waiting, right around 11:00 this Tom came strutting in....lights out...Fun hunt but I'm beat ...9-1/2 inch beard 3/4 spurs

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1459053628615.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1459053628615.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 262
Thats awesome man! Congrats! Sounds like my scouting area last weekend. Get to my spot and now for the first time the access gate I closed. Like you, I flipped on my Garmin and checked my onX map, found a spot a few miles away to check out... Found some turkey sign (few tail feathers), found some deer sign too:) then walking out at the end of the day I see em.. Bout 400-500 yrds away (and on public land no less)! I'm working this weekend so I'm praying that nobody found my spot... Again, congrats on the nice bird! This will be my first season hunting turkey.

Great work. I have a ton of respect for anyone who can hunt turkeys like that. Hats off to you.

Thanks guys, looking back at it I'm thinking a shot fired from an adjacent private property about 10 minutes before spooked him enough to come right to me, better to be lucky than good any day...;)

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Sweet very cool, been scouting myself last couple weeks gona hit it hard Fri, Sat, Sun next weekend. Great Job!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu