Out glassing for deer

My tripod is definitely for use while sitting and not standing (only 4’ tall). I ordered a bino adapter but it won’t arrige for another week, so until then I’ve got an old spotting scope on the tripod.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
My tripod is definitely for use while sitting and not standing (only 4’ tall). I ordered a bino adapter but it won’t arrige for another week, so until then I’ve got an old spotting scope on the tripod.
I like sitting while glassing with or without a tri pods. More comfortable.
Best
LB

I was Practicing glassing for high desert mule deer this morning.
Started out with my 10x50, then switch to my 20-60x60 spotting scope. This property next mine but private property.
Glassed most of the morning until rain arrived.
Saw mountain cat for couple seconds with the tripod and scope.
Approximately 3/4 of a mile.
The scope makes difference at 20x.

Tried to take pics but nearly impossible with out the scope adapter to cell phone.
Had fun glassing today.
IMG_20181007_115703.jpg

Here is the pic I tried to take
If you zoom up the pic the pointed rock on upper left the cat was right below. The pic doesn't do the view justice. It was fairly clear.
IMG_20181007_123023.jpg

Reactions: msailor
This was a cheap Simon's scope.
It was only visible at 20-30x.
At 20x I could crearly see up to a mile. The cheap glass was useless at higher magnification. I purchased this scope several years ago good for around the ranch.
It was very effective at daylight I could see very good detail of the terrain , brush and trees.
It's not quality glass so I had to take breaks often. And took a second for my eyes to adjust.
But worked well for what is.
Was able to see movement 3/4 mile away. Mr mountain cat.
For me this will work. Since no way
Will I put a stalk on a deer a mile away.
LB

This was a cheap Simon's scope.
Was able to see movement 3/4 mile away. Mr mountain cat.

@DanSanDiego and I bumped a lion today at 70 yards.. big ol' jungle cat. In pretty much the same spot as the one we saw last year but at half the distance.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I learned a new hunter hand signal yesterday while scouting with @SurfNHuntSD it’s the Lion sign. Seems like we are all going to need use this one more frequently.
Last year’s lion seemed small and possibly young (150 yards away) but this year’s lion (maybe the same one and only 60yards away this time) was as big as a full grown Doe.
It was walking away from us, which is a good thing, but was definitely showing it’s muscle and lion swagger. Not only could the deer by spooked at that spot (didn’t see any yesterday but did see lots of deer scat&tracks) but I’m thinking the few turkeys there may disappear entirely.1F68AB6F-8571-4DD9-8F47-EF2E1BD549A7.jpeg

I learned a new hunter hand signal yesterday while scouting with @SurfNHuntSD it’s the Lion sign. Seems like we are all going to need use this one more frequently.
Last year’s lion seemed small and possibly young (150 yards away) but this year’s lion (maybe the same one and only 60yards away this time) was as big as a full grown Doe.
It was walking away from us, which is a good thing, but was definitely showing it’s muscle and lion swagger. Not only could the deer by spooked at that spot (didn’t see any yesterday but did see lots of deer scat&tracks) but I’m thinking the few turkeys there may disappear entirely.View attachment 36365
So why are losing so many deer.
It's obvious isn't it.
Forget about seeing deer at that spot.
Same as yesterday. Did not see a single deer yesterday.
Because of big pussycat.
Thanks for the cat sign.
And you guys be safe out there.
LB

out glassing this afternoon and evening. All I saw was Ravens. It's amazing that with out glass I could barely see the ravans if I tried hard.
But at 20X power were easily visible.

As I glass with the scope at approx. one mile, I am getting better. Looking under trees and brush, shrubs. In thick brushy areas. Around boulders and tree stumps.
But no luck. But Great practice.
To me 20X is it. But heck
It's all good.
LB

Reactions: Dawnandusk
you might look at it like this, the lion ( if its the same one or a different one) has been there for a year, he's hunting day and night not just on weekends, he looked very healthy, so theres probably plenty of food and water otherwise he'd have moved on:rolleyes:

So I Google the distance this morning. Distance as the crow flies is between .8-1 mile. Depending if looking directly or at the start of the visible ridges. Lots of saddles. Boulders, thick brush. Very impressive with inexpensive glass.
I could imagine if I had higher end vortex or Swarovski.
LB
P.S. maybe I can win the lottery LOL.

Out looking at local areas that look like good deer habitat, yet would be a lot easier on the feet and legs
I dropped pins of good looking spots.
Middle of the week all looked not
Busy. Last year I hiked in 3-4 miles
Up high. After that I was done.
Did glassing but saw no deer.
The light rain just soaked into the ground. Dry Dry. Let's hope for rain.
Any hunting east county in case need a hand. I would be great full.
LB

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Out looking at local areas that look like good deer habitat, yet would be a lot easier on the feet and legs
LB

I will let you know, this year could be the first one going out with my son, but mostly I go alone because I don't know anybody yet that would put up with waking up early and walk in the dark!! LOL
Last year and this year I spent a lot of time going to places I have never been.
In many of those places I was told I should have seen game, but not.

LB
Lee,

Likewise.. I have a general idea where you hunt and it's not too far from me.. let me know if you need help tracking or packing one out this year.

Well after talking with the wife early this morning. Over cups of coffee.
Heavy hiking is out for me.
Problem is after researching this illness over stressing the joint can cause an other episode.
So I throwing in the towel for now.
It can take up to a year to get my system working right.
To high of a risk.
To much to do . Here at the homestead. Unless I get 100 % get better. Not risking it.

Problem is after researching this illness over stressing the joint can cause an other episode.
To high of a risk.
To much to do . Here at the homestead. Unless I get 100 % get better. Not risking it.

bummer sorry to hear that.

To high of a risk.
Bummer Lee.. I can give you a couple deer spots nearby you that don't involve much hiking.. you probably know of them already though. PM me if needed.

Listen man don’t become stagnate, walk a 100 yards off the road in the Laguna rec area and just sit next to a tree, do not let these day go to waist! Pull out your recurve and dont cut your self short, eat clean Whole Foods you will loose weight but most Americans can afford to loose 20-30 lbs.

Get out there and stick one.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu