Out glassing for deer

Nb

LOL I was shopping on line last night unfortunately the very high quality glass is not going happened with my pocket book.
Just can't afford it.
So thanks for reminding about the Maven. Now that I am retired I have watch my spending. O ya don't tell my wife lol. I being greasing the wheels , how it would be wonderful to have 15x binos
For night viewing the sky.
Maybe next tax return present.
LB

LOL , yes, that might work!!! keep going the romantic way!! LOL
Or... do what I do... honey, I bought you a pistol... honey I bought you a shotgun... LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: longbowhunter2
Longbow,

Good to hear your getting out glassing. I always feel like a kid in a candy shop when I’m out glassing buck country. Have you ever tried putting your 10s on a tripod. It’s way cheaper than buying 15s and you will find way more game if you’ve never tried it. It’s amazing what you can see with a tripod through 10s VS offhand. I don’t leave home without it.

Josh

That is a great idea, never thought about it and since money is tight......

Is it legal to pick up a deer if it has been hit by a vehicle and take it home? Obviously if you saw it happen. I have no intentions of picking up some dead game that I don't know how long it has been dead.
I ran over a dead small deer last spring when going turkey hunting, It was dead already and I didn't see when it got hit. But a friend did hit one with his car and didn't pick it up.

Is it legal to pick up a deer if it has been hit by a vehicle and take it home? Obviously if you saw it happen. I have no intentions of picking up some dead game that I don't know how long it has been dead.
I ran over a dead small deer last spring when going turkey hunting, It was dead already and I didn't see when it got hit. But a friend did hit one with his car and didn't pick it up.
No. You cannot pick up roadkill in CA.

Here in CO. Yes you can.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dawnandusk
No. You cannot pick up roadkill in CA.

Here in CO. Yes you can.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
X2 agreed, it is against the law

Legal here in Montana too.....All you have to do is call DFW.....They give you a number.....Then they may or may not come out to see it.....Way to much work for California.

Sounds like a good plan LB. Good to hear you’re getting out there.

Brandon,
Yeah that’s the one I use and I have been pretty pleased with it. A little bit of a pain to take on and off. The best adapter is the outdoorsmans quick change adapter but it’s $$$

Longbow,

Good to hear your getting out glassing. I always feel like a kid in a candy shop when I’m out glassing buck country. Have you ever tried putting your 10s on a tripod. It’s way cheaper than buying 15s and you will find way more game if you’ve never tried it. It’s amazing what you can see with a tripod through 10s VS offhand. I don’t leave home without it.

Josh

Man, I am learning things in this thread.
I just bought a tripod adapter for my Bushnells ( I know, they are not the best out there but they fit my bill). It costed me $ 15.00. I have a spotting scope also but using my binos is way easier to look for game.
Thanks to all of you for educating me and others.

Man, I am learning things in this thread.
I just bought a tripod adapter for my Bushnells ( I know, they are not the best out there but they fit my bill). It costed me $ 15.00. I have a spotting scope also but using my binos is way easier to look for game.
Thanks to all of you for educating me and others.

Dawnandusk,
Glad we can help. Some key things to go along with tripod glassing. I’m no master at glassing by any means but I’ve learned a few thing. When I glass from a tripod I twist the cups in and look through the tripod with my eyes off the eye cups. The less you touch the tripod the less the glass will vibrate. I start out glassing at a medium-moderate speed early so that I don’t miss any animals out moving around. If you start slowly gridding too early you will miss deer out in the open. Once the weather starts to warm up the deer bed down. This is when you want to slow your glassing way down. Look in the shade. Try to identify what hill have the most shade. In the morning glass the north and west facing aspects. Hope this helps.

Josh

Dawnandusk,
Glad we can help. Some key things to go along with tripod glassing. I’m no master at glassing by any means but I’ve learned a few thing. When I glass from a tripod I twist the cups in and look through the tripod with my eyes off the eye cups. The less you touch the tripod the less the glass will vibrate. I start out glassing at a medium-moderate speed early so that I don’t miss any animals out moving around. If you start slowly gridding too early you will miss deer out in the open. Once the weather starts to warm up the deer bed down. This is when you want to slow your glassing way down. Look in the shade. Try to identify what hill have the most shade. In the morning glass the north and west facing aspects. Hope this helps.

Josh
That's a good tip Josh.
I generally scan with my eye balls.
Old habits had to break. Then scan the open spaces with my glass.

Areas tough to see are the thick bedding areas. So thick hard to see in there. I also look at the feeding areas. You know the Manzanita, low scrub oak . Low brush. Depending on the weather. Moon phase.
LB

That's a good tip Josh.
I generally scan with my eye balls.
Old habits had to break. Then scan the open spaces with my glass.

Areas tough to see are the thick bedding areas. So thick hard to see in there. I also look at the feeding areas. You know the Manzanita, low scrub oak . Low brush. Depending on the weather. Moon phase.
LB
Dawnandusk,

Josh
Thank you!!
I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I am learning a lot!!

I ordered a lightweight tripod. 48” tall (hopefully that’s not too short) and it arrives today. Going to immediately put the binos on it and start glassing.
Super excited for D16 rifle to start three weeks from today!
Hi Dan
Right on, good luck with D16. And the new equipment. Did you get a tripod bino adapter as well.
Best
LB

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu