Out glassing for deer

longbowhunter2

Oct 16, 2013
on the mountain
Well I talked the wife to drive out to my local spots. Get out of house.
I was practicing glassing with my
10X50. Mostly getting some practice. Seriously after all discussion about 15X56 binoculars
It would been nice to have it to compare.
Well don't have my sea legs yet.
So basically scan the visible areas from the road. Hit 4 areas.
But saw no movement. All was quite. Weather was perfect, cloudy slight breeze. And cool.
LB

Glad you got out sir. My buddy always tells me that we need that escape that will help reset the mind. The weather over here in the IV is awesome, a bit humid but manageable.
I'm also thinking about the 15's more than I should but I do need that extra power over here in the deserts.

Glad you got out sir. My buddy always tells me that we need that escape that will help reset the mind. The weather over here in the IV is awesome, a bit humid but manageable.
I'm also thinking about the 15's more than I should but I do need that extra power over here in the deserts.
Finally weather broke here , cool and cloudy this morning. Yep humidity is high.
Good luck out there Rick.
Did you get one last year.
And how is pheasant population?
I may try my luck this year. Since it's
Mostly flat walking.
Best
LB

Reactions: msailor
Glad I am not the only one with 15x on the brain...I am torn whether I should hold out until next year for the SLC's or get the Maven's now. There is a kifaru podcast where they do optics reviews and say the SLC is far beyond any other 15x, but the Maven's are the best bang for the buck ($1300 vs $2300).

I currently have similar Maven binos (9x45's, but the same prism and glass) and they are remarkable for the price.

Finally weather broke here , cool and cloudy this morning. Yep humidity is high.
Good luck out there Rick.
Did you get one last year.
And how is pheasant population?
I may try my luck this year. Since it's
Mostly flat walking.
Best
LB

The gallos are out and about, this whole month I've been taking a dirt road to work in the mornings because of construction down dogwood road and I've seen 3 rooster and about 6 hens in the same field for over 3 weeks now. Also over the weekend I saw a nice rooster with his wattles all puffed up like if he was looking for a fight or a hen. The hens have some younger chicks with them and still can't tell if they are male or female. I will start carrying my mini camcorder and see if I can upload some footage. Let me know when you come down in November and I will point you in their direction.

The gallos are out and about, this whole month I've been taking a dirt road to work in the mornings because of construction down dogwood road and I've seen 3 rooster and about 6 hens in the same field for over 3 weeks now. Also over the weekend I saw a nice rooster with his wattles all puffed up like if he was looking for a fight or a hen. The hens have some younger chicks with them and still can't tell if they are male or female. I will start carrying my mini camcorder and see if I can upload some footage. Let me know when you come down in November and I will point you in their direction.
Nb
Glad I am not the only one with 15x on the brain...I am torn whether I should hold out until next year for the SLC's or get the Maven's now. There is a kifaru podcast where they do optics reviews and say the SLC is far beyond any other 15x, but the Maven's are the best bang for the buck ($1300 vs $2300).

I currently have similar Maven binos (9x45's, but the same prism and glass) and they are remarkable for the price.
LOL I was shopping on line last night unfortunately the very high quality glass is not going happened with my pocket book.
Just can't afford it.
So thanks for reminding about the Maven. Now that I am retired I have watch my spending. O ya don't tell my wife lol. I being greasing the wheels , how it would be wonderful to have 15x binos
For night viewing the sky.
Maybe next tax return present.
LB

Thank you Rick

Almost ran over a few hens crossing the road on dove opener lol. Haven't seen roosters in some time, although I don't get down there as much as I used to.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jason,

Ran over a couple yesterday myself.....Also, hit a deer on the way home. Actually a rehit from a trucker in front of me (no damage).....Afraid to leave the house this morning.....lol

.024.JPG026.JPG

Longbow,

Good to hear your getting out glassing. I always feel like a kid in a candy shop when I’m out glassing buck country. Have you ever tried putting your 10s on a tripod. It’s way cheaper than buying 15s and you will find way more game if you’ve never tried it. It’s amazing what you can see with a tripod through 10s VS offhand. I don’t leave home without it.

Josh

Longbow,

Good to hear your getting out glassing. I always feel like a kid in a candy shop when I’m out glassing buck country. Have you ever tried putting your 10s on a tripod. It’s way cheaper than buying 15s and you will find way more game if you’ve never tried it. It’s amazing what you can see with a tripod through 10s VS offhand. I don’t leave home without it.

Josh

Hi Josh
Thank you for the suggestion.
I have 3 tri pods. Just need the
Bino Mount. Working on that soon.
For now I rest the binos on the tri pod.
Best
LB

Well made myself a binocular tri pods mount. Work in process.
L bracket drill holes for 1/4-20.
Fit everything except my vortex.
A little modification and welding.
Should fix that.
Glassing the near by hills for
Practice. Hear some pics holding the
Phone with out an adapter. I will make it later.
3/4 mile 10x50 cell phone.IMG_20181003_134106.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu