Packing out fish

RKE

Dec 24, 2018
Any tips, tricks, or gear recommendations for packing fish back to the truck after a day of hiking/fishing mountain lakes/creeks? Or do you just keep what you can eat onsite?

In the old days and using a creel, I would put wet green leaves in with the fish...If you're high enough. you could have snow to pack them in too...Seem to work pretty well......... :blush:

.scan067.jpg

Reactions: sportyg and Podunk
I would say have some icepacks on hand ( or local snow ) and put them in gallon freezer zip locks . In the day pack , insulate the fish bag from your hot sweaty back . BTW , nice catch there ILOVESPRIG ! We had similar success last week in Lassen County with the wife and young grandkids but did not have to pack them far to get into an ice chest . Lots of ice ; )

PO

Last edited:
Reactions: srothberg
For just a day of fishing I would pack a small insulated bag with drinks and snacks for the day and keep them cold with frozen ice packs. I always keep my fish whole and in the water alive until I'm ready to head back to the truck. then I will clean them and put them in baggies and in the bag with ice packs. I never had a problems getting the fish in good shape then they went into ice chest, covered with ice. That is a nice catch there Steve. That goes back a few years.

For just a day of fishing I would pack a small insulated bag with drinks and snacks for the day and keep them cold with frozen ice packs. I always keep my fish whole and in the water alive until I'm ready to head back to the truck. then I will clean them and put them in baggies and in the bag with ice packs. I never had a problems getting the fish in good shape then they went into ice chest, covered with ice. That is a nice catch there Steve. That goes back a few years.

That's actually my dad and friend Kenny at the Sphinx Lakes in the Sierra's (1964)...As I recall, it's like a 14 mile work from the Kings Canyon NP side...Fishing was incredible... :yum

.scan070.jpg

It was kind of crazy last week with the big family get together fishing in Lassen Co. Slight chance or rain Friday night . ( June 17th . ) I woke up to relieve myself and crawled out of the tent at about mid-night and found it to be snowing !! ....JUNE In Californiastan ! ( But it was at 7000 ft. elevation ) Then I woke up to this the next morning . I swear , I didnt take any fish pictures because I was re-baiting / untangling the grand-kids lines so much that I could not fish much at all ! My son in law took some fish pics I think ..... just in case ya don't believe me lol ; ) Its a cool lake to camp at .

POCrater lake June 2022.jpegC Lk2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It was kind of crazy last week with the big family get together fishing in Lassen Co. Slight chance or rain Friday night . ( June 17th . ) I woke up to relieve myself and crawled out of the tent at about mid-night and found it to be snowing !! ....JUNE In Californiastan ! ( But it was at 7000 ft. elevation ) Then I woke up to this the next morning . I swear , I didnt take any fish pictures because I was re-baiting / untangling the grand-kids lines so much that I could not fish much at all ! My son in law took some fish pics I think ..... just in case ya don't believe me lol ; ) Its a cool lake to camp at .

POView attachment 54488View attachment 54489

Oh, we believe you................. :joy:

POView attachment 54488View attachment 54489

Oh how I miss Lassen County!

Reactions: Podunk

Thanks for the help!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu