Palomar Mountain

Moe Terboat

Jan 21, 2014
I have been scouting some MCC land up on Palomar mountain for a while with no good sign of deer. I decided to set up a trail cam where there is a small water since it is so dry. Here is what I got...

Attachments

• PICT0694.JPG
    PICT0694.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 122
  • PICT0691.JPG
    PICT0691.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 126
  • PICT1060.JPG
    PICT1060.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 122
  • PICT1948.JPG
    PICT1948.JPG
    842.7 KB · Views: 124
  • PICT0695.JPG
    PICT0695.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 118
  • PICT1894.JPG
    PICT1894.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 143
wow, lots of predators!! kool pics. I wouldn't go into that area unless I was packing heat after viewing them pics.

Yikes! I'd love to hunt predators at that spot (I've never take a fox), but man, I'd be sweatin' bullets worrying about calling in a big kitty!

Dang that used to be my favorite spot for deer too. When I first joined I used to see bucks after bucks in that area but now its a ghost town except for the family of 6 coyotes and endless bobcats. Might be time to clear that area out of predators.

Matagi said:
Dang that used to be my favorite spot for deer too. When I first joined I used to see bucks after bucks in that area but now its a ghost town except for the family of 6 coyotes and endless bobcats. Might be time to clear that area out of predators.
I'm in! I need a bobcat tag, otherwise ready to go. With all those predators around, I bet we wouldn't need more than a hand squeaker. Larry and I saw a cougar down at the Foot of Mt Palomar when he was showing me around MCC. We were wondering where all the wildlife was, till we saw the cat.
I have to say the predators wouldn't be there if the deer weren't, so I'm still up to hunt that area. Just don't tell my wife! ;)

Sent via Tapatalk

California sucks! , other states don't have that problem ....

I had been walking in there by myself until I heard a the big cat make some not so nice sounds as I got close to the water hole so I backed out and set a camera to make sure I wasn't just hearing things. I had a ton of pictures of grey's at night that I didn't post and another bobcat. I would say that mile marker 6 on S-7 is probably not a good spot to hunt since these pictures were taken very close by. Going back soon to see if I can draw some of those predators out.

Anyone hunt love valley in the past year? I went up there the other weekend and it looks like nothing but cat and dog tracks everywhere....

that can get scary. be careful there. hahahah listen to me, I am a big chicken.
at least make sure you are on your toes. hahahaha with this heat drought
it may be getting them cougars hungry and thirsty.
I carry a big F N knife. but like some said here it may not help.

that is why i take along a side arm every hunt i go on in country like that. One also must know how and train to use it in very close quarters possibly with a cat on top of you. I also have the nice strong big knife and learn how to use it as well. train train train your life may depend on it. Im always open to hunt predators even in the big cat areas. let get a bunch together and take them out and lossen the hold on the deer a little.

Yes hunting with a side arm is a good thing. but at alas we are not allowed during bow season to carry one. but surely during gun season it's a best bet. well I am open to suggestions, how do you train with the knives for this approach. hahahaha teach an old dog a new trick. I have very little personal time right now but surely would make time for this. I definitely need more practice with my bow & rifle. hahahaha get out of practice quick.

as far taking out the predators I am unable to it's part of my back ground.
but I not against those who do. I think our mother nature is all out of whack.
but I would take one out in self defense of my family and my property.
I only take what I can eat. but I would be willing help any way I can.
Tracking, Calling, assist any way I can. .

I'm very familiar with that area too........When MCC 1st opened it was loaded with game........The drought has really taken it's toll.......Predators watch water sources and when there's not many. Numbers of deer & turkeys go down rapidly........Pray for rain........ :-\

El Niño is coming; all the signs are there. In the meantime, depredation is the watchword. We can't take lions, but everything else is fair game.

Sent via Tapatalk

Bonejour said:
El Niño is coming; all the signs are there. In the meantime, depredation is the watchword. We can't take lions, but everything else is fair game.

Sent via Tapatalk

hahahaha so true. we are sometimes (LOL) on top of the food chain. we do need to help as much as possible.

ilovesprig said:
I'm very familiar with that area too........When MCC 1st opened it was loaded with game........The drought has really taken it's toll.......Predators watch water sources and when there's not many. Numbers of deer & turkeys go down rapidly........Pray for rain........ :-\

OK I will have to ask my wife to do a rain dance. hahahaha sometime it rains to much.
but maybe it will help.

Ghost said:
ilovesprig said:

OK I will have to ask my wife to do a rain dance. hahahaha sometime it rains to much.
but maybe it will help.
You HAVE to get her on go pro and post it if she does. Lol

Sent via Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu