Patterning shotguns

Thejoebrewer

Sep 6, 2018
Mark and I went out back of my place today to pattern in our scatter guns. Me, because it’s my first time chasing gobblers, mark got a new rig and needed to test it.

I have a Mossberg 500 that I have a blackmaxx turkey choke in. Refer to a previous thread on the other system being used.

We used both TSS and 5, 6, 7 hevi shot, and neither of us felt great past 20 yards. We shot from a sled, off hand and seated using our knees as a brace. Outside of 20 yards, almost all shots would be non- lethal if not complete misses.

I was consistently high left regardless of hold beyond 20 yards. And even within 20 the shot pattern was not as tight as “advertised”

Any thoughts on this? If sure like to feel more comfortable taking a poke beyond 20 yards and as of now, I’m not.

That sucks. You need to get a good pattern out to at least 40 yards. Might want to rethink your load. I shoot a 3.5" mag. duplex 4 by 6 load using my Mossberg with a undertaker choke. I've taken toms out to 45 yards with that combination

Don't know what to tell you....You're shooting the best two shells money can buy....20 yds should have been like a pizza plate....Hell, this is from twice as far (40 yds) with TSS & HS Blend...Benelli SBE 12 gauge w/Jellyhead (.670)….And my daughters Benelli 20 gauge w/standard full.

Don't know what to tell you....You're shooting the best two shells money can buy....20 yds should have been like a pizza plate....Hell, this is from twice as far (40 yds) with TSS & HS Blend...Benelli SBE 12 gauge w/Jellyhead (.670)….And my daughters Benelli 20 gauge w/standard full.

.View attachment 38385View attachment 38386View attachment 38387View attachment 38391
At 20 we didn’t even really get patterns like that. I was holding at least a foot low at 40 and putting half that on paper. And that was in a sled. Shouldn’t have to hold on his feet to get a lethal shot, but that’s what it felt like....

Is this choke new?.
Is it a screw on choke.
If the threads have not been properly threaded concentric( on center line) it could out of wack.
You should be easily smacking out to 40 yards no less 20.
One of the avantage of fixed choke
Machined together with the the bore
Which makes it concentric.
Con is your stuck with what it is.

Is this choke new?.
Is it a screw on choke.
If the threads have not been properly threaded concentric( on center line) it could out of wack.
Yes brand new chokes, and yes threaded. I had a bear of a time finding a choke that fit my gun. Seems odd given the popularity of the 500. Of the choke was a little loose could that impact the shot?

Is this choke new?.
Is it a screw on choke.
Yes brand new chokes, and yes threaded. I had a bear of a time finding a choke that fit my gun. Seems odd given the popularity of the 500. Of the choke was a little loose could that impact the shot?

Why were you holding low at 40 yds....Unless your gun shoots high....You should hold right at the base of the turkeys waddle (neck).

One way to tell if your gun shoots high is to look down the barrel and see if you rib is flat to the target....If you see space between front sight and the middle bead....Then your gun shoots high....If your gun doesn't have a middle bead....Then you'll see a lot of rib....Most hunting guns have low combs on the stock (especially Mossberg)....That is so you cover the bird when flushing (pointing)….In the case of turkeys, you are aiming at the waddles.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Can you send it back. It is probably
A mfg defect. Or have a gun smith check it.
Check both the barrel and the choke
Concentricity. Make sure the threads
Have been machined properly.
Yes slightly loose fit could throw it out. My thoughts It should be a snug fit. Let others chime in on that one.
I am talking about standard machining practices. Mainly if not concentric it will be off.

Why were you holding low at 40 yds....Unless your gun shoots high....You should hold right at the base of the turkeys waddle (neck).

One way to tell if your gun shoots high is to look down the barrel and see if you rib is flat to the target....If you see space between front sight and the middle bead....Then your gun shoots high....If your gun doesn't have a middle bead....Then you'll see a lot of rib....Most hunting guns have low combs on the stock....That is so you cover the bird when flushing (pointing)….In the case of turkeys, you are aiming at the waddles.
Only reason I held low at 40, was my first shot holding right on I barely had pellets hit paper. One time in fact, 6 pellets hit. 6. I ended up holding completely off target low, and getting better results. But not (in our opinion) lethal shots.

I’m wondering if it was “operator error” and pulling the shot. I used a full this season for dove and didn’t have any issues, did decent for my first year I thought. I’m going to take a look down the barrel and at the bead(s) and see. I recently took off the mid barrel bead, I found myself using that and not the front bead and was missing often.

I’m wondering if it was “operator error” and pulling the shot. I used a full this season for dove and didn’t have any issues, did decent for my first year I thought. I’m going to take a look down the barrel and at the bead(s) and see. I recently took off the mid barrel bead, I found myself using that and not the front bead and was missing often.

Wing shooting, you should not use the beads at all....They're only a reference point of the barrel....Turkey hunting which again is aiming, helps pointing exactly where you want the main body of shot....You may want to add a Tru-Glo front sight and put that middle site back on.

I would retry shooting without that new choke (full choke, if you have it)....Start at 30 yds.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAG 1
Here is a tip.
External threads are easy to verify size. There are thread wire sizes
For each size of thread.
It is very easy to verify size with 3 wires, and a proper size micrometer.
The pitch diameter can be calculated to measurement over three wires.
An internal thread can only be verified with a Gage for proper size.
Go and no go.
A gun smith worth their weight
Can verify this.
I not for sure, but most threaded
Barrels should be standard.
Best
LB

Not sure what the problem was. New benelli sbe3 and could not get a pattern I was happy with. Sore shoulder, those loads pack a wallop. I put the tru glo sight up front everything I've read and then some to try and figure this thing out.I think it's the shooter. I'm going to get some bigger card board from work to better see the pattern. Hate to pull out the 870 because I know that pattern.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu