Pheasant anyone?

Gspman

Dec 2, 2014
North LA county
had to work today but we are headed to our fields down south tomorrow hoping for a good day again like last year. Any one else headed out this weekend? I swear the dog is psychic as the last week he has been up early and really excited. Should be fun times no mater what.

had to work today but we are headed to our fields down south tomorrow hoping for a good day again like last year. Any one else headed out this weekend? I swear the dog is psychic as the last week he has been up early and really excited. Should be fun times no mater what.
Good luck GSP. Heading home now from the IV after chasing quail on Friday and dove today. Found several coveys and got a few birds yesterday. Dove were tough for us today. I worked hard for 11 mourning and 6 ECDs. Didn’t see any pheasant crossing roads like we sometimes do. Good luck this weekend!

Reactions: utahduckhunter
Decided not to hunt the DFW Heritage fields when we found out that they only planted somewhere between 30-100 birds in fields 22 & 25 (they're connected). They said there was a die off of roosters a couple of weeks ago (in the IV).....It was also stated they don't have enough money to raise or buy more (where the f*ck does our upland game bird stamp money go?). I think it's time to start looking into getting a new bird provider.....There was a time, not that long ago, that every DFW Heritage Field got a 100 roosters.....Now we can't get a 100 in one field?

Anyway, we hunted some random fields where we had seen birds before....Only flushed 2 hens.....We did have a really good dove shoot though.....Big flocks of winter migrating birds.

Hunted deer on the way home and only saw one small forky....Full day of hunting for sure.....lol

ps.....Sorry for the rant, but it's very frustrating to me as much as we pay to hunt in California and what we get in return.

.011.JPG 013.JPG

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Decided not to hunt the DFW Heritage fields when we found out that they only planted somewhere between 30-100 birds in fields 22 & 25 (they're connected). They said there was a die off of roosters a couple of weeks ago (in the IV).....It was also stated they don't have enough money to raise or buy more (where the f*ck does our upland game bird stamp money go?). I think it's time to start looking into getting a new bird provider.....There was a time, not that long ago, that every DFW Heritage Field got a 100 roosters.....Now we can't get a 100 in one field?

Anyway, we hunted some random fields where we had seen birds before....Only flushed 2 hens.....We did have a really good dove shoot though.....Big flocks of winter migrating birds.

Hunted deer on the way home and only saw one small forky....Full day of hunting for sure.....lol

ps.....Sorry for the rant, but it's very frustrating to me as much as we pay to hunt in California and what we get in return.

.View attachment 33633 View attachment 33634
Nice job on the dove Steve. California-hunting-frustration, I hear those words used together quite frequently.

Nice job on the dove Steve. California-hunting-frustration, I hear those words used together quite frequently.

Kevin,

I mean, they don't plant or relocate wild chukar anymore, they can't relocate wild turkeys, they can't plant quail, they don't provide any manpower or money for repairs or provide new guzzlers.....So, that leaves only pheasant.....Junior hunts are provided thru out state.....OK.....Where does the rest of the Heritage Upland Stamp money go (probably some tree hugging biologist on a endangered toad)?

Why isn't there a Heritage pheasant hunt for adults at San Jacinto W.A. or Wister by drawing?.....At one time, there were pheasants planted all over the Imperial Valley.....Now we can't even get a few hundred for some Heritage fields?.....Without adults continuing our hunting heritage, junior hunters will never know what we have learned to love.

Frustrating indeed!....I think it's time to be the squeaky wheel here in SoCal.

ps.....Thank God for Eurasion Collared doves.....They're still multiplying and they can't do a friggen thing about it.....lol

Kevin,

I mean, they don't plant or relocate wild chukar anymore, they can't relocate wild turkeys, they can't plant quail, they don't provide any manpower or money for repairs or provide new guzzlers.....So, that leaves only pheasant.....Junior hunts are provided thru out state.....OK.....Where does the rest of the Heritage Upland Stamp money go (probably some tree hugging biologist on a endangered toad)?

Why isn't there a Heritage pheasant hunt for adults at San Jacinto W.A. or Wister by drawing?.....At one time, there were pheasants planted all over the Imperial Valley.....Now we can't even get a few hundred for some Heritage fields?.....Without adults continuing our hunting heritage, junior hunters will never know what we have learned to love.

Frustrating indeed!....I think it's time to be the squeaky wheel here in SoCal.

ps.....Thank God for Eurasion Collared doves.....They're still multiplying and they can't do a friggen thing about it.....lol
How long has it been now that DFW has been “working on a management plan” to reopen the Protrero Unit at San Jacinto? How much management do you need for some scruffy hills? Put up a Sign-in kiosk and let us use our taxpayer-owned property!!!!

.View attachment 33633 View attachment 33634
Why did the pheasant die ? Lack of feed, water & cover. ? Unbelievable.
Or sick birds.

Had a long day at work on Saturday so we slept in a little and got to our fields after 1pm. Very late start. The birds were all warm and rested and flushed waaaay early. Very skittish to say the least especially on private non hunted fields. It was just my wife and I hunting this year so 4 bird limit but we did hit the limit by 2:15 so still a really good day. It goes so fast. Dog did great as usual. 112FBF46-A141-4A71-A474-A5664AB924C1.jpeg

image.jpeg
Also had a NAVHDA club hunt on Sunday at Woodlands. Apparently someone left a gate open at Mendel's bird pens and he lost many birds. The club was given a bunch of Chukar as replacements. These birds flushed awesome and were actually a blast to hunt. Not dizzied up, we just walked the box out to the middle of the field and opened the door. Give them a 1/2 hour to wander or fly away, then hit em.

Had a long day at work on Saturday so we slept in a little and got to our fields after 1pm. Very late start. The birds were all warm and rested and flushed waaaay early. Very skittish to say the least especially on private non hunted fields. It was just my wife and I hunting this year so 4 bird limit but we did hit the limit by 2:15 so still a really good day. It goes so fast. Dog did great as usual. View attachment 33637

Good haul and great looking dog! I love pointers, both GSP and EP's. I am thinking of getting into upland birds but just starting to research it. Thanks for posting. May I ask what the dog's vest is for? Is it so you can see your dog better in the field?

Mike,

Ol' Wyatt looks pretty tuckered out.....lol.....Was it just your birds or were the cages left open and all birds got out?

Not sure, he just said the he did not have all our pheasant because a bunch escaped. Maybe he sold them twice?

Good haul and great looking dog! I love pointers, both GSP and EP's. I am thinking of getting into upland birds but just starting to research it. Thanks for posting. May I ask what the dog's vest is for? Is it so you can see your dog better in the field?

i Use the dog vest number 1 because where I usually hunt it’s pretty buggered up with sharp brush and old fencing and things. Number 2 it helps me see him and others see him. We do a lot of volunteer work with youth so I don’t need him getting shot. I’ve done work with military dogs and they are working when the vest is on and they are off duty when the vest is off so that’s how I’ve trained him. But I do not put it on him when’s it’s over 100 in the valley and we are dove hunting. Dove hunting for him is a vacation

Last edited:
Reactions: SASS

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu