Plaster City driveabout 6-13-21

SurfNHuntSD

Oct 1, 2013
San Diego
www.sandiegoturkey.com
Last minute I took a trip to Plaster City to scout some new areas. Didn't get to Spot #1 until 10:30 and nothing was flying. Packed up and headed to Spot #2 and found it posted. Almost headed home but decided to drive to the opposite end of the valley and found a few birds luckily. But by this time it was noon and hot AF with no cover. Lasted 30 minutes before I started feeling like $hit but was able to drop an 8 pack. Left 'em flying for next time.

P.S. slobs pick up your shells. I cleaned up about 3 boxes worth of other peoples' crap in the hot sun. Don't get more spots posted.

20210613_142758.jpg

20210613_125504.jpg

Good going, Jason...It's hard to believe in this day & age, there's people still leaving their crap everywhere...:mad:

ps...Imperial Co. was one of the last places you could hunt without asking for permission, if it wasn't posted...The changing of crops, loss of fields to solar, and the entrepreneurship of guys like Mendel Woodland has squeezed us free lancers a lot.

Ran into him at a gas station in Westmorland last duck season.. tried to sell me some hunts lol.

I got permission in a renovated feed lot last year...One day he showed up with some guys...We're shooting for free and his boys are paying him one fitty per guy...I knew it was only a matter of time till he got the ear of the owner...Sure enough, it's posted now and he shoots it with his "clients".

Last minute I took a trip to Plaster City to scout some new areas. Didn't get to Spot #1 until 10:30 and nothing was flying. Packed up and headed to Spot #2 and found it posted. Almost headed home but decided to drive to the opposite end of the valley and found a few birds luckily. But by this time it was noon and hot AF with no cover. Lasted 30 minutes before I started feeling like $hit but was able to drop an 8 pack. Left 'em flying for next time.

P.S. slobs pick up your shells. I cleaned up about 3 boxes worth of other peoples' crap in the hot sun. Don't get more spots posted.

View attachment 49332

View attachment 49333
Good effort Jason. Can’t shoot em sitting at home by the air conditioner.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Hmm.. wonder what a dove shooter would pay these days...ONE FIDDDY!!!!.sweet Jesus...i

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
I got permission in a renovated feed lot last year...One day he showed up with some guys...We're shooting for free and his boys are paying him one fitty per guy...I knew it was only a matter of time till he got the ear of the owner...Sure enough, it's posted now and he shoots it with his "clients".

There's a few other guys that I know that guide for duck on public land ponds and make a pretty penny. I might have to apply for my guide license and drive ya'll around the valley. I can see the flyer headline already...Dove, Pheasant, Quail Hunts!! ONLY $99.99 per hunter!! Bring your truck! :)

I've been hunting Dove in Imperial and Palo Verde Valleys since pre teens and I'm 72 now. The fact that the posted land is becoming the norm is no revelation to anyone spending time in the fields.
I have been told that We don't want you dove hunters in our fields before. I can understand why....trash, gut piles, unburied human waste, vandalized equipment, shooting over seeded fields, driving in the fields and so on. Then along comes a guy offering to post, police and pay for trespass rights, why not? We hunters, because of a few, have not been the best of people in someone else's yard, and now we are paying the piper his due.
Some will argue that the money hunters spend will really help and area. Sure it does, but, Mr. Farmer doesn't see it.
I can only gripe because I know of no solutions, Private hunting properties and pay as you go trespass fees are now beyond my budget. So I do the best I can with what there is to work with and post on these forums.

I'm from down there and hunt out there often for over 35 years. A lot of family are tied in with the farmers and land owners. One of the problems missed in this topic is that a lot of the fields are being sublet by out of country or corporate groups that forbid hunting on their lands with no indication why. Another part is mentioned often, my uncle was tending parts of his field when "city hunters" tried to threaten him and chase him off of his land. They left a lot of litter, shot some of his old but still used field sleds and drove in a freshly bedded field. He is one of those that has posted up signs. He stated that last year 2020 was one of the worst, rudest years he has seen in his farming lifetime.
Rule of thumb, many of the farmers down there are hunters and respect hunting and know that it brings much needed funds to the town. They also don't like destroyed property or being threatened when approached to see how things are going. Remember; in the desert we still go up to people and say hello and such. Not fun when people immediately yell at you,.."know your FXXXing hunters etiquette and leave us alone", or "this is our area get out of here". We usually are coming by to see how your luck is, give you tips where something better is, or for those that have dogs to let you know that we have coyote traps laid out in a lot of areas and want to give a courtesy warning. As dblsmk stated; clean your birds but put them in trash bags, all those guts bring in a bunch of coyotes and other scavengers, clear out your spent shells because our animals tend to eat them ruining the cost of that animal. If you are hunting near sheep or cow pastures...go to the next field, remember which field they were in and come back when we moved out sheep as more birds will be there later. If you have an open fire don't toss hot coals in dry brush, common sense but hey...anyone remember the three big fires in BLM in great hunting spots last season? Yup, farmers have closed those fields down for this year due to the cost of destroyed farm equipment.
Hunt well brothers, but remember you are guests in our backyard.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu