Practice makes... better..

Them country club dear just fall over dead @ilovesprig.

shoot what you will be hunting with NOW not later. If you are shooting fixed blades a poor tune will show up quick.. it's not hard to fix but you need to know. Even with expandable heads the length is not the same as field tips so it changes how they fly....

don't be scurd its part of the process!!!!!

Wow, based on that shot placement Steve, I don't even know why I am practicing... j/k :)

Great work.... nothing better than the flight of an arrow. Ed F

Robert,

I know you got yourself a fine backyard range but let me know if you want to get together for a shoot down at Morley Field.. been awhile for me and I need to shake the rust off my bow.
Jason, absolutely brother. While the backyard range has its advantages, ie. Proximity to cold beer. I max out at 30y without some serious creativity.
So... Morley field, let me know when.

Please be sure to do yourself the favor of practicing shooting from field positions like kneeling-down on both knees, on one knee, from a sit on your Tripod stool, or whatever other seating options you'll be using while out there. Just mentioning because my sit location's layout would not likely allow for standing-up to take a shot. At least not the first shot.

Practice taking shots at those in-between yardages!!! Where you have to hold on the target between two of the pins. I can not stress that enough!

And when you're less experienced like me... drill yourself on which two pins to hold between for which in-between distance you want. So that way when the deer finally saunters into the picture, you'll jump right to those needed pins without having to think about.

After missing... twice... on a super nice one the first day of the season on my first go with a bow. That next day... after I ranged the landmarks in my FOV... I was repeating to myself their distance and which pin or in-between which two pins I would have to hold. Repeated that stuff to myself every few minutes until that second much less nicer buck came on the scene the next day. Wasn't about to make the same mistake twice. And I did not.

Here's to sincerely hoping you get your first bow kill man! (Sounded like this will be your first, if I understood Aeon right)
It's a trip. It's definitely a different experience from rifle. The quietness of the whole thing is kinda neat!

Does a cold brew steady the hand or does that come after the practicing? I once rode a dirtbike drunk and I wasn't as fast as I knew I could of been "whiskey throttle" . Cool pic though.

Yo @ivhunter... NOTE: Alcohol and Dirt Bikes is a VERY HORRENDOUSLY BAD combination. I can not stress that enough. If you ever see somebody about to do that... please.. please... stop them from doing so.

And only because of how the slightest impairment to judgement can have DIRE consequences when you're haulin' ass.

This happened on the way back from the Slash-X Cafe... after just 1 beer with the lunch.... I was bombin' along... was WAY in the hell out in front of the other two guys I was with on my KX500. We were starting to get nearer to the trucks... at some point the trail dumps onto a dirt road, but at this one spot the soil of the road was washed-away a bit and eroded away a bit and the whole road was sorta elevated and covered with like maybe a lil bigger than skull-sized stones. Didn't look too bad... I was in low 4th gear, so figured I'd just tense-up and muscle it and bull-dog the bars and hammer thru it. And it wouldv'e probably worked Ok, but at some point the back end deflected off a stone and did a little huckabuck off one of the rocks... so when it was dancing around... I look down and all I see is rocks everywhere so I was like"Hell Naw, I am not going down in all this rock!" So I Bulldogged the bars and managed to wrestle it over to the side of the road. But the road was elevate so it sloped off and every 20-30 feet or so there were desert bushes that held the soil and you might say created mounds/whoops off the side of the road... as I was wrestling off the side of the road I'm headed for a not too big Greasewood bush. And I was taught that if you absolutely had to... sometimes you can just hang on and plow thru them and split 'em open if you absolutely had to and got a little to loose on the trail. Unfortunately... that bush was juuust sturdy enough that it managed to grab the bike and stopped its forward motion... so then I went flying over the bars... and unfortunately my shoulder clipped the top of that next little side mound/whoop hangin off this elevated road path. I rememeber I was completely inverted and upside down when I hit... after the hit I slide down the backside of it still with feet pointing up at the sky sliding down on my helmet. You know... then a little bit of rollovers... then you come to a stop... and then that's when the dust comes along and covers over ya and ya gotta hold your breath for a bit.

It was a bitch too because it was like 99 F and I had to wait a long-ass time before they caught up to me... and then wait another long-ass time while they went to fetch a truck to come back and get me and the bike. I remember having to cover my face with my gloves.. cause it was so damn hot... and looking up and seeing Turkey Vultures circling and thinking "F**k You!".

Then... I missed the turn off to go 60 to the 57 on my way back home... so then was now like "Meh... that's Ok, I'll just go down to the 91 and go that way." F**k man... what a b**ch... the 91fwy was all kinda stop-and-go traffic... and here I am... stuck in it with a broken collarbone...holding that hand onto my shirts collar to prevent that arm from descending and making that "click-click" sound that doesn't feel any kinda good. Thankfully one of those dudes is my nextdoor neighbor so he helped me unload the bike when I got home. It was funny too because out there in the field... his friend had tried to start my KX500 to ride it over to the truck... and he thought something was wrong and that the bike was locked up or something... because of how damn strong the compression is to kick over those K5's, hehe. And it's like "No, that's just how hard ya gotta kick it Dude!"

My boy was 6months old at the time... so I knew Mama needed me operational ASAP. So I opted for surgery to have it plated/pinned, so I'd be able to help her ASAP with the baby.

Now granted... this was blasting across the Valley Floor on a KX500. But... I want to impress the point upon anyone reading this message to NEVER EVER EVER mix alcohol and Dirt Bikes. Not even in the littlest. Because just the slightest impairment to your split-second judgements can have DRASTIC consequences.
<END OF RANT>

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu