Public Gobbler Down!

QuePasaJames

Nov 8, 2016
I had a great sit with my father in law this morning. He's been a lifelong whitetail hunter, but he has never hunted turkey before. He and my mother in law have been staying with Britney and I since January, cause we are expecting our first child literally any day now (39 weeks pregnant). I bought him a yearly out-of-state license when they arrived, and we've spent a good amount of time scouting the county for birds. With the wife still carrying the baby, we've had the opportunity to get out and get on some birds the last few days. Today did not disappoint!

Greylight was greeted by nonstop gobbling for close to 15 minutes, maybe longer. I cut and cackled at him on the roost until we were met with silence at about 7:45. After that, we sat and called to this bird and heard him moving closer over the course of about 2 hours. He finally showed himself, and I stopped calling. We watched him inch his way in from 100 yards out straight to the decoy, into a full strut. We could hear him spitting and drumming while his face just lit up, changing colors...... what a show! He continued this for a good 3 minutes. When he finally spun around and had his back to us, Rick pulled his gun up and waited for him to spin around. When his face was finally back in view, that was all she wrote! Chip shot, 15 yards out, lights out.

I gotta give a shout out to Flydown Custom Calls. I bought the double sided glass and slate call at the turkey tune up and I almost exclusively used it to bring him in close enough to lock onto the decoy. The clucks and purrs are amazing on the slate side, and glass is awesome for yelping. Rick and I are 2 happy campers on this lovely Tuesday.

We were shooting the 3" Hevi Magnum blend rounds. Totally devastating.
10" Beard
1" and 1 1/8" spurs
20.6 lbs
IMG_1537.JPGIMG_1576.JPGDSC_9962.jpg

I had a great sit with my father in law this morning. He's been a lifelong whitetail hunter, but he has never hunted turkey before. He and my mother in law have been staying with Britney and I since January, cause we are expecting our first child literally any day now (39 weeks pregnant). I bought him a yearly out-of-state license when they arrived, and we've spent a good amount of time scouting the county for birds. With the wife still carrying the baby, we've had the opportunity to get out and get on some birds the last few days. Today did not disappoint!

Greylight was greeted by nonstop gobbling for close to 15 minutes, maybe longer. I cut and cackled at him on the roost until we were met with silence at about 7:45. After that, we sat and called to this bird and heard him moving closer over the course of about 2 hours. He finally showed himself, and I stopped calling. We watched him inch his way in from 100 yards out straight to the decoy, into a full strut. We could hear him spitting and drumming while his face just lit up, changing colors...... what a show! He continued this for a good 3 minutes. When he finally spun around and had his back to us, Rick pulled his gun up and waited for him to spin around. When his face was finally back in view, that was all she wrote! Chip shot, 15 yards out, lights out.

I gotta give a shout out to Flydown Custom Calls. I bought the double sided glass and slate call at the turkey tune up and I almost exclusively used it to bring him in close enough to lock onto the decoy. The clucks and purrs are amazing on the slate side, and glass is awesome for yelping. Rick and I are 2 happy campers on this lovely Tuesday.

We were shooting the 3" Hevi Magnum blend rounds. Totally devastating.
10" Beard
1" and 1 1/8" spurs
20.6 lbs
View attachment 38816View attachment 38817View attachment 38818
Right on, heck of right up. And hunt.

Reactions: QuePasaJames
Hell yeah!!! Kick ass.

What great in laws. Exciting time in the household. Turkeys are cool, but kids are better!

Reactions: QuePasaJames
James,

Congrats to your father in law. Sounds like and epic hunt! I’m glad you liked my calls. My double sided calls were a new thing I started this year and they are pure turkey. They create such a variety of sounds. I’m just glad you were able to use those realistic sounds to call in that big ol’ longbeard.

Josh

Last edited by a moderator:
James,

Congrats to your father in law. Sounds like and epic hunt! I’m glad you liked my calls. My double sided calls were a new thing I started this year and they are pure turkey. They create such a variety of sounds. I’m just glad you were able to use those realistic sounds to call in that big ol’ longbeard.

Josh
I'm a big fan. I advocate its use in the turkey realm! I should've bought it from you last year

Congrats James...Outstanding story and play by play...The adrenaline rush when a big boy is pussy footing in is very addicting...Love those public land birds in SoCal.
Steve, at that moment today, it felt like it was the "all or nothing" moment. Either everything will go as I want it to, or we're going home empty handed. Im just so glad it worked in our favor haha!

Wow, what an exciting adventure to spend with your father in law.
Just think how special and blessed you and your family are.
Best wishes to you, your wife and family.
Congradulations on all parts!

Congratulations on the bird. But a much bigger congrats on the child on the way! I can’t till my kids are old enough to start sharing hunting with.

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu