Public land has 2 less birds

MAG 1

Sep 1, 2016
It all starts at 5 am a little late, but my partner DOUBLE TROUBLE aka Phil was hunt master for lake sutherland and had to let the hunters in. We get out to our spot, we've been hunting hard all season. Today was different, no gobbling to start with. We had been hearing gobbles all season. We get in and finally hear some gobbles. We get excited. They seem to come from a different area than where we thought. We sit for awhile and decide to make a move. I tell Phil I want to walk up this hill and see if we can put a visual on any birds. We get to the top nothing. I take out the slate hit it and all the sudden here they come. First 1, then 2, and finally here come. 5 gobblers right towards us at about 400 yrds away. Phil says lets get out of here and it was a good thing we did. By the time we got back down and set up the birds popped out. 15 yrds I take the shot, and down goes my bird. Phil wasn't so lucky his first shot missed, but the bird stayed around. Phil's gun jammed, but with quick thinking, he gets it unjammed, and unloads again. Down goes the bird...Great birds... Phil's bird, 18 lbs 7 inch beard and 7/8 spurs. My bird was 19 3/4 lbs with a double kicker beard. One was 10 3/4" and the other 4 inches. It has 1 1/8" hooks. Great morning...Still can't believe we finally got it done.

BTW... It was Phil's first bird. Congrats to him.

View attachment 39165View attachment 39165
22759.jpegIMG_6175.jpgIMG_6178.jpgIMG_6162.jpg20190427_071633.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just imagine if the birds had been easy on day 1 then you would have missed some of this time in the field. Great birds and a nice season leaving us wanting more next year.
One more week for the season, so now is the time for the rest of us to double down on time in the field and bring in a 2019 gobbler!

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
Mark & Phil,

Thank you....I know how hard it is to get birds on public lands....YOU'RE the inspiration that many of the guys have after seeing your success....My hat goes off to both of you.

Reactions: DoubleTrouble

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu