Pulling my hair out over doves

Jdrivsd619

Train Hard. Hunt Harder.
Feb 6, 2015
Jamul
I have never hunted upland until this year and hopefully tomorrow but i just had a few last minute questions..
Is there a particular direction you should set up in?
Is there a certain side of the field that will be better then another side of the field
Oh and how to avoid getting shot at by an irresponsible hunter....... :D (i always hear horror stories about opening day)

I figure I should be down to Niland area an hour or two before the sun comes up? not sure which field to hit but I guess I'm going to just pick one from the DFG map...... (I had no time to check out the area before the season)

Whether I kill a bird or shoot limits of birds I'm really using this opportunity to learn and understand the whole dove hunting experience. Im really excited, new shotgun and tons of practice shooting 5 stand and wobble!!!!!

Any last minute tips would be much appreciated (must have items during dove hunting, and good ways to set up) regardless I plan on having fun :) :) ;D

Jdrivsd619 said:
I have never hunted upland until this year and hopefully tomorrow but i just had a few last minute questions..
Is there a particular direction you should set up in?
Is there a certain side of the field that will be better then another side of the field
Oh and how to avoid getting shot at by an irresponsible hunter....... :D (i always hear horror stories about opening day)

I figure I should be down to Niland area an hour or two before the sun comes up? not sure which field to hit but I guess I'm going to just pick one from the DFG map...... (I had no time to check out the area before the season)

Whether I kill a bird or shoot limits of birds I'm really using this opportunity to learn and understand the whole dove hunting experience. Im really excited, new shotgun and tons of practice shooting 5 stand and wobble!!!!!

Any last minute tips would be much appreciated (must have items during dove hunting, and good ways to set up) regardless I plan on having fun :) :) ;D

I occasionally dove hunter so I'm sure others will pop in. .

try not to shoot in the sun have the sun to your back.
try to pattern the dove. flying back and forth.
pick a spot where it is a good distance from other hunters.

try to scout and pattern the dove. feeding grounds, water & where it is safe.
and have plenty of water, good place in shade if possible. and have fun.
when are you going out?
be safe out there.

Ghost

thanks for the reply ghost.......
My girlfriend and I plan on leaving the Jamul area tomorrow morning about three or so we plan to hunt tomorrow and then are going to stay at a motel this weekend in the area to hunt the labor day weekend as well !!!! I'm again excited and can't wait the drive to el centro is awesome checking out all that deer covered mountains :D

Here's one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet......Stay on the perimeter of the field.......Doves will be flying into the edges to feed.....Every year someone will go out into the middle. Not only dangerous, but will push birds out of the area.....If you have a spinner, try to stay to the opposite side to where the majority of shooters are. In fact, I always try to get away from everyone, no matter how far from the field it is (within reason). They will leave said field to water & roost......Catch them there..... ;)

Stay safe, don't get in a hurry, and move if you have to go where the birds are flying......Good luck

I wouldn't shoot those fields if my life depended on it too many people that don't know what they are doing......like Steve said you'll have someone standing in the middle of the field and the birds will be gone.

I'll pm you with my number call me and I'll get you in the right areas away from most yahoos.

When you do find a field it's better to watch the birds where they are flying in and out then drive over there and pick your spot or box the area and find maybe a better spot that no one has found where the birds are coming or going. Once you do find them find some cover to break up your outline and don't move till you shoot they see movement very well

Shorts & t-shirt no orange for me but I don't hunt those DWU fields......and if it's too crowded I find another spot to shoot

Doesn't hurt to wear camo or orange

All camo all the time......I think some of these guys shoot at orange on purpose....... :-[

ps.......Makes you feel like you're hunting too...... ;D

Attachments

• dove opener 9-1-11 007.JPG
    dove opener 9-1-11 007.JPG
    762 KB · Views: 20
Honestly my first year I only watched, never took a shot. Make sure you have sunglasses on or saftey glasses. People are nuts. If your in the right area you will be fine. Good luck man I will be out there tomorrow. Hopefully we run into a few of you guys

Limits by 8 A.M. home birds cleaned by 9:30 home by 12 showers and naps have already been had!!!

Thanks for all the help and info this forum is proving to be worth its weight in gold!!!!

P.S. this was my first bird hunt have ever been on thanks to the young lady I am dating
Jolene thanks for showing me there is more to hunting then big game!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1349.jpg
    IMG_1349.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1335.jpg
    IMG_1335.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1337.jpg
    IMG_1337.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
Very cool you guys & congrats.......... 8)

Jolene, you look right at home hunting doves.......Little more action than hunting turkeys eh?....... ;)

and that there is a happy ending... awesome work! put in your time and get rewarded

Steve Jolene agrees..... but she is a turkey hunter at heart...... hopefully with her D16 this year I can show her a little bit about what I love..... if only we get an opportunity to close the deal on a couple deer.......... ???

From flying to our stomaches

Attachments

• IMG_1356.jpg
    IMG_1356.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_1357.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1359.jpg
    IMG_1359.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 16

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu