Quail and chukar - strategy question

I’ve hunted mature birds that literally won’t fly because they know it makes them shootable. I’ve sprinted after quail that are running from me for 30 plus yards. Once you realize they aren’t going to fly just ground pound em. Any opportunity I have to shoot ‘em I do. If I hunted with a dog that would be a different story I’m sure

I typically walk 5 miles through the desert looking for quail and chukar. Up hills and down hills. As a result, I will shoot quail or chukar on the ground, air, sea, and land. I'll find where they live and shoot them in their sleep if I could : )

I've earned it.
Personal opinion. That's not much for upland, particularly without a dog. More miles equals more birds.

I typically walk 5 miles through the desert looking for quail and chukar. Up hills and down hills. As a result, I will shoot quail or chukar on the ground, air, sea, and land. I'll find where they live and shoot them in their sleep if I could : )

I've earned it.
I’ll even shoot em if they have deformities making their bodies look like an IPA.
78AE1952-86DD-49B4-AA22-9CE3915CB12E.jpeg

Waterdog, is that pic from Red Mountain? That fence in the middle of a wash looks real familiar.

Waterdog, is that pic from Red Mountain? That fence in the middle of a wash looks real familiar.
Sworn to secrecy. A buddy of mine shot that bird and several others on the opener. It was apparently pretty good hunting. I wasn’t able to make it.

I’ve never hunted quail over a pointing dog only Labs.
I was taught that when a covey wants to run you shoot at them even if you can’t hit any. Being mindful of where and how the covey splits apart.
This usually gets the birds to seek cover , giving you time to get up on them. I would never run after any bird with a gun in my hand; if you do you are an idiot in my opinion !
As far as ground sluicing birds, if I can I will shoot as many on the ground as possible! I’ve killed a lot of quail by sitting quietly near a congregation spot first thing in the morning, lining up as many as possible and letting them have it ! Then chase after the stragglers !
I’m into it for the meat !!!

I’ve never hunted quail over a pointing dog only Labs.
I was taught that when a covey wants to run you shoot at them even if you can’t hit any. Being mindful of where and how the covey splits apart.
This usually gets the birds to seek cover , giving you time to get up on them. I would never run after any bird with a gun in my hand; if you do you are an idiot in my opinion !
As far as ground sluicing birds, if I can I will shoot as many on the ground as possible! I’ve killed a lot of quail by sitting quietly near a congregation spot first thing in the morning, lining up as many as possible and letting them have it ! Then chase after the stragglers !
I’m into it for the meat !!!

Kevin,

Running is a relative term...This idiot has "Hot footed" after quail, chukar, pheasant, sage grouse, sharpies, and huns............. :joy: :joy: :joy:

ps...Running uphill is not an option for fat guys like me..........:D

.kelsoscodie 1987.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu