Quail Forever San Diego Chapter

torresmick

Mar 17, 2018
San Diego, CA
Good Morning, name's Miguel and I wanted to formally announce the re-birth of our local chapter that was on the fence of shutting down (at least for the time being). Our most important goal is to expand our awareness of existence and plan to attend the TTU to provide anyone interested with info on our goals and how to join. Bear with us as this will be a learning process for me personally as I just recently volunteered to chair as chapter president but fortunate enough to get to know a few mentors who have a wealth of knowledge in this area. We have started an instagram with a handle @quailforever_SD that we plan to utilize frequently.

Some small background on me... I primarily upland hunted as I was introduced later in life (like most I've spoken to) dove hunting the Yuma rez and IV. My interest was immediately hooked when I tagged along on a quail hunt without a birdog. The ability to communicate and chase the wild bird is what motivated me to educate myself about the uplands. I've since acquired a GSP, waterfowl'ed the Sea and even had antlers in my bow sight to no avail in South AZ. Hunting has changed my life in a way I would've never considered, and I'm glad it did.

Feel free to PM me with any and all suggestions or questions you all may have.

Best,
Miguel

Thank you Miguel for jumping in and taking the reins of the local chapter. It is a very admirable role. It’s been a few years since I was an active member working on guzzlers but I’ll try and get out there this year with the group.

And nice to hear how you got the bug later in life and how it changed you personally. That is a common story among many.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Miguel,

I might have mentioned this to you, but another way to fund QU's guzzler cleaning projects is to come to a San Diego Fish & Game commission meeting and ask for a grant...The money we receive comes from Fish and game violations...Guzzler projects and clean-ups are perfect in this arena.

.006.JPG009.JPG

Up to 1974 fish and game had installed 386 small game guzzlers in San Diego County.
So no shortage of lost drinkers out there needing help I'm guessing.

Only county I suspect is more work would be Riverside as they had 387.

I talked to Janice Mendenhall today about some guzzlers that are on public around Lake Henshaw...She would be all for any kind of work on them...Best access is thru VID.

Reactions: torresmick
Miguel,

I might have mentioned this to you, but another way to fund QU's guzzler cleaning projects is to come to a San Diego Fish & Game commission meeting and ask for a grant...The money we receive comes from Fish and game violations...Guzzler projects and clean-ups are perfect in this arena.

.View attachment 53465View attachment 53466

We spoke briefly about that at the end of the meeting and you gave me your card. I do plan to explore this opportunity and have this on my agenda. I think we’ll be in touch a lot more often in the next few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I talked to Janice Mendenhall today about some guzzlers that are on public around Lake Henshaw...She would be all for any kind of work on them...Best access is thru VID.

That’s good news. I don’t know for sure if those guzzlers have been looked at yet, I’m still pretty green, but knowing this provides us valuable intel with what typically restricts guzzlers from being accessed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu