Quail hunting. Hours, weather?

180ls1

Nov 2, 2020
Poway
I've been putting in some boot work locating birds, however, I don't know the strategy that well or haven't paid much attention to it. I know they roost (kinda like a turkey) but should you just hunt them all day? Any advantage to morning or evening hunts? I don't think they water much if there is dew.

Any other helpful tips/tricks? I don't have an upland dog so it's just jump hunting them.

I've always liked morning best....Birds are very active moving to water and food...Temps are cool right now...So walking is easier than in high temps...Like turkeys, their calling is more active in the morning, especially if they get broke up...Plus hearing is better for you, because mornings are normally calmer...Mid day they like the sun, roads for gravel, or dusting.

Know their calls...The most common, as you're probably aware is the Chi-ca-go whistle...They alsoo do a single note whistle, and the chirping sound when you get close to them....Good luck

I've always liked morning best....Birds are very active moving to water and food...Temps are cool right now...So walking is easier than in high temps...Like turkeys, their calling is more active in the morning, especially if they get broke up...Plus hearing is better for you, because mornings are normally calmer...Mid day they like the sun, roads for gravel, or dusting.

Know their calls...The most common, as you're probably aware is the Chi-ca-go whistle...They alsoo do a single note whistle, and the chirping sound when you get close to them....Good luck

Thanks!

I've always just wandered around until I bump them. I might be selling myself short with that statement but not by much. Thinking further about I have wondered what I am missing (hence this thread). Sounds like I am not missing much with that strategy, unlike Elk or Deer.

Reactions: ilovesprig
In cold weather I wait until 8-9am to hunt quail/chukar cause I have found they leave the roost later when its cold. We beat ourselves up yesterday in the west mojave and didn't see or hear any birds, I was hoping the chukar would be down low given the snow on the hills.

In cold weather I wait until 8-9am to hunt quail/chukar cause I have found they leave the roost later when its cold. We beat ourselves up yesterday in the west mojave and didn't see or hear any birds, I was hoping the chukar would be down low given the snow on the hills.
Would this weather constitute "cold weather"? Like 60* over 35*?

I know it means different things to different people so I am just trying to get a rough estimate.

I've found Javelina (OTC in January) are much the same way. Hunt the deer first thing then around 9ish the stink pigs come out to play.

All great advice. a little trick I learned before I started working over dogs , is once you have broke a covey and start working them stop every so often and listen for any nervous chatter. If nothing, start walking again and be alert for birds to flush behind you. When they are broke from covey they will hold tighter, that's where a good dog will help.. Later in the season when the birds wise up they will break farther ahead of you, when they do, pick up your pace and try to break up the covey.. We generally have hunters lagging behind to try for a shot on birds that flush behind. This is a tactic you only want to use when hunting with experienced hunters who will only shoot at birds that flush behind you and off to one side or the other. Or land between you.

Reactions: 180ls1
I typically wait until they are overlapping each other..than BLAMO!!: my personal best is 7 1/2 In one shot ...one ran off never to be found.. before Lloyds time of course .miss that old hound .. especially around Xmas..

I don't really walk randomly but try to string together the areas of better habitat. Better feed cover etc. You can find them anywhere but I find they have spots they go to more often in the general areas they are in. Might take a bit to know intuitively what these spots are but they definitely have favorite spots, bushes, etc.

Would this weather constitute "cold weather"? Like 60* over 35*?

I know it means different things to different people so I am just trying to get a rough estimate.

I've found Javelina (OTC in January) are much the same way. Hunt the deer first thing then around 9ish the stink pigs come out to play.
Yesterday was 37 - 45 degrees with strong winds out in the desert until noon.

4 birds down in 4 hours. Was a great day. Not sure why I ever talk myself out of going hunting. Ended up losing a bird. Not sure how, I exploded him out of the air (full choke) and there was a ton of feathers where he hit the ground. Never could find the sucker though.E7816C4D-9B25-4B5D-9A95-04B9E42FABA8.jpegE3F7AD70-687F-49F1-BFAB-D62863989D82.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you hunt right at the snow line? I’ve heard that’s where the chukar will hang out.

We hunted about a half mile below the snow line, no sound nor tracks but that range has many scattered guzzlers so there has to birds, its just a bad year. Hope to try again next week, storm permitting.

Any input for hunting on cloudy days? I have noticed less squirrels (cant see hawks?). Not sure how quail deal with clouds or not. We FINALLY have a good amount of rain rolling in!

Any input for hunting on cloudy days? I have noticed less squirrels (cant see hawks?). Not sure how quail deal with clouds or not. We FINALLY have a good amount of rain rolling in!

Of all of the conditions, rain is the worst for most upland birds...Then wind...Just cloudy is always alright in my book.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu