Quail Hunting this Fall in CNF

Also you might want to scout during the day. With all the canals the iv can get tricky and dangerous.
Also 4x4 is highly recommended.
Lot soft sand and areas that are good to get stuck.
Thanks for the info. I’ve ridden dirt bikes out that way, stage at the red feather, ride out through plaster city and around superstition.

I hear you. Not trying to do anything illegal or unethical, just trying to understand what’s what.

If I understand the comments correctly, I should drive to el centro tomorrow, park on the side of interstate 8, walk into any field and start shooting at anything that moves.
I suggest you find someone to take you out a few times. You have a big learning curve ahead of you. You can shoot rabbits right now though. But when it’s 115 in the IV you better get them cleaned and on ice fast. Go out to the CNF with a shotgun and look for rabbits. It would be a good place to start learning. Steel shot only btw.

I love quail... I hate quail!

I have a bunch of them in the hills by my house, but they aren’t any bigger than the doves. Super quick too!

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Calling quail will let you know if they are around. I have a dog that lives to hunt birds so without a dog try listening and hiking you can often find them. And remember if this is your first time hunting quail remember that they jump up as a covey so don't be too freaked out.

In reference to what Matt said, I will never forget the time in the AZ forest that he found turkeys. He pointed them and then over his shoulder gave me that look "you are kidding, right?"

Reactions: WaterDawg
Calling quail will let you know if they are around. I have a dog that lives to hunt birds so without a dog try listening and hiking you can often find them. And remember if this is your first time hunting quail remember that they jump up as a covey so don't be too freaked out.

In reference to what Matt said, I will never forget the time in the AZ forest that he found turkeys. He pointed them and then over his shoulder gave me that look "you are kidding, right?"
I’ve looked into getting a quail call. I also saw that a gentleman named Jim Mathews does quail hunting seminars at Bass Pro Shops, thinking about attending one of those in September.

If your down to close to the border watch out for people crossing. Most likely hit someone in the brush...

I’ve looked into getting a quail call. I also saw that a gentleman named Jim Mathews does quail hunting seminars at Bass Pro Shops, thinking about attending one of those in September.
Mathews is giving a free seminar this coming Thursday evening at Turners in Lake Forest. I’m planning to go if any OC SCHers want to say Hi.

Find meadowy areas that are on flat or semi-flat, that border Rabbit Brush, and that Rabbit Brush borders the thicker stuff.

Ain't no way you're gettin' 'em in the thick (at least not in the Northern part of CNF I go to), (without a dog) they can move way faster than you in the chapparal.

Gotta keep your eyes peeled on the in-between spots of open-ness between Rabbit Brush... and like...Scrub Oaks.

Or sometimes... if there is a draw... and there is rocks on one side with vegetation above the rocks.. you can sit opposite the rocks side and when it's shaded in the PM... the Quail and the Squirrels will fart around in those rocks looking for seeds that have fallen and rolled down into them during the day. Then you just sit back and snipe'em.

Reactions: Richardh30
Matty, everyone has to start someplace....And this crowd is about as nice and giving as any....;)

Now Richard....I'm not joking about reading our hunting regulations for the state of Commiefornia….They can be very confusing (kind of like the English lanquage).

We have elk in the state, but not in D-16, we have chukar in the state, but not in San Diego Co., we have antelope in the state, but not in SoCal, we have grey squirrels in California, but they're not legal to shoot in San Diego Co., we have MT. quail in California, but here in SoCal, they're not legal to shoot till Oct. 19th down here....It goes on and on....Please read and ask as many questions as you can....It will save you some serious dollars....Good luck.

ps....Waterfowl hunting is MUCH worse....lol

What?? You can't shoot Ground Squirrels in San Diego Co?? I know you can NOT shoot Tree Squirrels anywhere in SoCal... but I thought Ground Squirrels where considered non-game animals and skies the limit? Is this a specific ordinance to your county?

Find meadowy areas that are on flat or semi-flat, that border Rabbit Brush, and that Rabbit Brush borders the thicker stuff.

Ain't no way you're gettin' 'em in the thick (at least not in the Northern part of CNF I go to), (without a dog) they can move way faster than you in the chapparal.

Gotta keep your eyes peeled on the in-between spots of open-ness between Rabbit Brush... and like...Scrub Oaks.

Or sometimes... if there is a draw... and there is rocks on one side with vegetation above the rocks.. you can sit opposite the rocks side and when it's shaded in the PM... the Quail and the Squirrels will fart around in those rocks looking for seeds that have fallen and rolled down into them during the day. Then you just sit back and snipe'em.
I was able to locate a rooster in CNF....5C9A3126-2607-4D5D-8708-7C23697D2250.jpeg

Suprised somebody in a gille suit hasnt sniped him by now....survivor mode for sure.. im pulling "for" the cock...not pulling...

what caliber do you guys recommend for quail? i got some BBB hevi shot 3.5" is that enough to stop a charging bull quail? @HATCHET1 can i just load buck shot for my 9th shot?

ps high desert means not near sea level. Think 395 near some pretty mountains.

Reactions: TRICER

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu