quail question

Hunterfisher

Jan 19, 2020
so i started off the day late about 6:30. pulled up to the spot and already had 6 trucks parked and out already hunting. luckily i saw a bunch of quail in the opposite direction they were headed during deer season so went that way. missed a few shots at some dove and a small covey of quail 10-15 birds so i decided to keep walking. after about an hour and a couple more missed shots i was getting kind of frustrated. finally circled back down another ridge and heard them calling. walked up and down a ridge and BAM, probably 50 -70 birds. after that spent the next hour circle same small area picking them off. limited out and went home. so my question is would you go back and keep shooting them or would you find a new spot and give those ones a break? was my first real quail hunt and was a ton of fun and the birds were very tasty. already ate them all3D1DCE27-9DF5-4EB8-859E-B136B89B7B01.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I'd let them rest a week or so. Pressured birds will either flush too far ahead of you or hold so tight they wont flush if the cover is thick. Use that time to find more coveys. I've done that this year & its paying off better than hitting the same birds every week.
You can't control others finding them but you can control how much pressure you put on them.

Personally I'd let them rest a week or so. Pressured birds will either flush too far ahead of you or hold so tight they wont flush if the cover is thick. Use that time to find more coveys. I've done that this year & its paying off better than hitting the same birds every week.
You can't control others finding them but you can control how much pressure you put on them.
that’s what i was thinking. i didn’t want to either scare them away or worse shoot them all between me and who knows who else

Depends on what others do but I would say let it rest and try again and see what happens. You can't hammer them day after day so if no one busts them you may have a good spot but you have to leave seed for later seassons. Use common sense....

If it's a great spot surrounded by good spots with little pressure you can just keep hammering them if you really wanted to. But mix it up, you want to find other spots to hunt from and learn what does and does not make a spot good.

Hunter,

Nature takes care of itself...They will start flushing earlier in mass, fly farther, hold tighter, and the young of the year will learn that calling much is dangerous...Most coveys have been hunted by now...Finding other spots/coveys is part of the fun...2 cents

ps...Great going on getting a limit...No small fete

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu