Quail season is almost here!

Ryan_germain1911

Jul 21, 2014
Northern San Diego
Who is going out to get some quail. I have a bit of a drive to get to my sweet spot but it's worth it. I'll be bringing my 8 month old lab and a person or two. If anyone want to come with it got some spots to fill. What are some hints or advice from you seasoned quial hunters. This will be my third season but I can always learn. Also the place I go is stacked with howl pups so I'll be bringing the M1A when I go up to scout next weekend. Pictures to come!...hopefully.

This year is going to be a challenge big time. The drought is not so good for calif quail. I have been seeing lots of gambles out in the desert.

I wonder how the mountain quail numbers are, does a mild winter help or hurt them?

My local spot has zero quail :(

I seen a ton in the cnf running back and forth from hiking trails in a no hunting zone.. :'( other than that nada...

pm sent ryan

The lower desert & Colorado River hatches were quite good........Our upper deserts are in dire straits........Talked to one of my biologist friends and he said he hasn't seen a chukar (& few quail) in the Owens Valley, Randsburg, or Black Mt areas.......Another tough year for the upland hunters.

If I had an area with good coveys, I'd keep that pretty tight to the vest.........Just sayin'........ ;)

ilovesprig said:
The lower desert 7 Colorado River hatches were quite good........Our upper deserts are in dire straits........Talked to one of biologist friends and he said he hasn't seen a chukar (& few quail) in the Owens Valley, Randsburg, or Black Mt areas.......Another tough year for the upland hunters.

If I had an area with good coveys, I'd keep that pretty tight to the vest.........Just sayin'........ ;)
X 2 , I have not seen many this year. I have picture of a doe with bad mange & full of large ticks, any word
on the health of the deer herds?

I'd be down to go some time but my usual spots suck. I think I've seen 1 quail while deer scouting lately. Hopefully it'll get better later in the season if we get some rain and the creeks fill back in.

Man sound like rough times! Makes me excited about my spot! I saw five or six coveys of 5 to 10 birds and one huge one of 40 to 50 so I'm excited. Good luck too all of you thus season!

Quail is my favorite to hunt other than deer! counting the days...

ivhunter said:

It's what I started on. There is nothing better then a big covey flush in my opinion.

Sdbirds said:
ivhunter said:

It's what I started on. There is nothing better then a big covey flush in my opinion.

Me too. Fun to hunt, fun to shoot and fun to eat.

I'll be out there on the 18th. Saw one pair locally, but I found a decent spot a ways away with a few 10-12 bird coveys.

I'm all fired up for sure. Was poking around my spot last weekend and it is looking good. Ran into a couple 30+ coveys. I will hit public land for opener because the land owner for honey hole likes opener to himself. Can't wait.

Snake Charmer said:
Take it easy on the small covey's and let'em recover a bit (pray for rain), The past few years have been tough for them. It'll pay off in the future.

I'm a lousy hunter, the covies are safe with me out there :-\

But I will bag enough birds for a meal or two. ;)

canyon00168 said:
Saw a lot of mountain quail in X10 while deer hunting this season...

Go high and go steep........................lol

Love quail hunting.......... :D

Attachments

• kelsoscodie 1987[1].jpg
    kelsoscodie 1987[1].jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 125
  • big pine cyn 1982[1].jpg
    big pine cyn 1982[1].jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 121
I'm definitely gonna get out there. This is my first season, so it's going to be a learning experience for sure. Hard to find a buddy to go out with.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu