Questions about dove hunting

So I am a total newbie, and have been a little discouraged from the way people respond on social media when a new guy ask's a question. I am not looking to be blasted for my inexperience or ask anyone for their secrete spot, and am told this is a good place to ask for advice without that. I tried dove hunting last year at the San Jacinto Wildlife Area and came up with absolutely nothing. I do not know anyone personally who is an experienced hunter that is willing to even mentor and am trying to figure this all out so that one day I can be successful. I'm figuring upland bird is a good place to start before moving on to Turkey then to the bigger game.

Question #1. I was planning on going again this year to SJWA but then am wondering about trying Imperial County. I just don't know area and totally don't want to piss anyone off by not knowing the unwritten rules made by the people who hunt the area on a regular basis. Plus not having any experience at all my confidence in what to do is very low. What would you offer for advice in my situation?

Question #2. I applied for and won the draw for Sept 7th San Felipe WA Oakgrove dove hunt. (first timers luck i guess). Does anyone have any advice for this area?

I was doing research on San Jacinto Wildlife Area to try Upland Bird Hunting for my first time (it's closer to where I live) and was getting discouraged as well until I found your post and this forum. I want to thank you for posting this since this has given me the courage to also create an account on the forum and try hunting in Imperial Valley instead of San Jacinto Wildlife Area tomorrow for the Dove Season Opener.

I'm planning being there before sunrise, but what I'm still not sure with is the following: Before finding a spot next to an open field, do we need to check-in at the headquarters?

I was doing research on San Jacinto Wildlife Area to try Upland Bird Hunting for my first time (it's closer to where I live) and was getting discouraged as well until I found your post and this forum. I want to thank you for posting this since this has given me the courage to also create an account on the forum and try hunting in Imperial Valley instead of San Jacinto Wildlife Area tomorrow for the Dove Season Opener.

I'm planning being there before sunrise, but what I'm still not sure with is the following: Before finding a spot next to an open field, do we need to check-in at the headquarters?
Unless your hunting Wister there is no check in

Reactions: dirtriddr and em85

Glad to hear I gave someone some hope. As far as I know you have to check in at the wister wildlife area but not at the dove fields on the DFG map in Niland. I hope I’m not wrong with that info.

Reactions: MAG 1 and em85
Find your own paddies....the public fields suck, look for birds and box the area. No need to scout....more fun finding them on the opener!

Good luck to you guys and try not to over heat!

Reactions: dirtriddr and em85

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu