Quick Deer Question

SoCalB3AST

Sep 2, 2014
lancaster, ca
How come on all the t.v. shows you see them using racks, and calls. i have hunted since 8 years old in so cal usually d-11 but recently d-13 and i haven't herd anyone calling deer its as if its illegal????? or Cali deer don't make or hear noises lmao. But i am curious if i go to big 5 and buy a bleat can, or a deer grunter, or something in that nature can i use it?? i also have a turbo dog game caller is that illegal or have i been cheating my self all these years? or maybe I'm just def and people do call deer lol any opinion's or correct info links would be appreciated thanks

well I tried some of the calls and it has not worked very well. but that said I could be doing it wrong. I have tried copying the so called experts on you tube and so far no luck for me. I being told black tail or southern California mule's are harder to call in but not impossible.

My ex partner had one come in using the sticks to emulate the deer fighting.
and shot it.

Ghost

E-Callers are illegal...........Rattling and grunt calls are legal..........The deer I hunt here in D-16 act very much like white-tail.......Territorial, fight a lot, and don't travel long distances from home range.......I have rattled in small bucks, but never a big boy. I hear them sparring many times.....Does do make some sounds, but for the most part very silent......Well except when they scent you like I had happen yesterday.......lol

Since most deer hunting in SoCal is not under these scenarios. There's been little use for these techniques here in the west.

A forky came in last year when I was using a rabbit in distress mouth call for yote checked YouTube and fawn in distress worked but not to sure. Sort sounds the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another technique me and an old hunting buddy used one time was with a varmint call........Standing on some rocks over looking a small canyon near Rancho Santa Fe.......I had read that if you blow a varmint call (Weem's All-Call), deer would stand up.......Sure as $hit, we have 3 deer stand up about 80 yds. below us......Nice big forky was the result.

thanks for all the help i bought me a primos power buck and doe caller 17.99 at big 5 sporting goods, has a trophy buck grunt/ mature buck grunt/ young deer grunt/ doe grunt/ deer estruerus bleat/ going out saturday gonna give it a shot and see what happends working hard this year to get one to post on sight, im new so i need to get pics posting.

Good luck let us know how it goes might pick up a call myself!

I rattled in a big but young whitetail buck last November during the VA rut. What a show he put on; you could hear him coming before he reached the top of the hogback where I'd found his rub. (That's his rub in my avatar). He pranced back and forth, stomping and snorting and spoiling for a fight. Problem was, he brought only antlers to a gunfight.
;)

a doe will run in sometimes on a fawn bleat thinking its her baby in trouble.

I have called in some bucks in D-16 using a combo technique of a grunt,rattling and doe bleat in heat. It takes patience. Good luck. It is a reward when they come in. A few years back I called a nice 2 by 3 for a cousin of mine. He came in hot and wanted to fight!!! He lost the fight and is now on my wall ;)

Bonejour said:
I rattled in a big but young whitetail buck last November during the VA rut. What a show he put on; you could hear him coming before he reached the top of the hogback where I'd found his rub. (That's his rub in my avatar). He pranced back and forth, stomping and snorting and spoiling for a fight. Problem was, he brought only antlers to a gunfight.
;)

Hahahaha

Cali Ridge Runner said:
I have called in some bucks in D-16 using a combo technique of a grunt,rattling and doe bleat in heat. It takes patience. Good luck. It is a reward when they come in. A few years back I called a nice 2 by 3 for a cousin of mine. He came in hot and wanted to fight!!! He lost the fight and is now on my wall ;)

So is that the trick, rattle and grunt.

Ghost

Rusty and I rattled this respectable D16 buck in 3 years ago. He didn't just saunter in, he came in like an overloaded freight train! Full of piss and vinegar. Note the scarred up face. This guy was not about to have anyone in his neighborhood uninvited.

Rattling works...

Attachments

• Rattle2.JPG
    Rattle2.JPG
    607.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Rattle3.JPG
    Rattle3.JPG
    606.7 KB · Views: 21
NBK said:
Rusty and I rattled this respectable D16 buck in 3 years ago. He didn't just saunter in, he came in like an overloaded freight train! Full of piss and vinegar. Note the scarred up face. This guy was not about to have anyone in his neighborhood uninvited.

Rattling works...

Awesome buck!! Public land?

TaftHunter said:
NBK said:

Rattling works...

Private...

TaftHunter said:
NBK said:

Rattling works...

It's easy to tell the public from the private in San Diego ussually the good looking areas are private and the nasty thick and steep areas are public. That is obviously private

NBK said:

Rattling works...

What time of the year was that? I just never know when SoCal deer are ruttin. However I hunt D11

Sent from my iPhone

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu