Quick sanity check on my sanity (300 WM X-bolt)

benCa

Nov 15, 2021
This whole COVID thing.. man.. what a shame. Hard to get anything. Sadly, the same with rifles. Poway shooting center told me that any bolt action hunting rifles they typically stock are special order with a delivery date of... um.... 2023. (unless you want 6.5CM, in which case they have 200 models in stock to choose from.. rolling eyes hard here and there)

shoulders slumped, and a heavy heart, I head back to my truck and head to turners, which I avoided, because I can't stand waiting 45 minutes to talk to someone.

They tell me that they have nothing but a 30-06 in stock (some awful rifle selling for $400), come back to talk to Amanda and special order something. I'm blabbing here, sorry, got a lovely bourbon next to me.

Long story short; turners, to everyone's surprise had a semi-hidden X-bolt just sitting there in 300 WM!

So, first question, I'm stuck between 30-06, 7mm mag and 300. I'm leaning toward 300. I have a 6.5 CM now and I feel like between the two, I can do anything. Would anyone dissuade me from 300 MW? Because 30-06, according to my research, is grossly underrated, ridiculously available, hard hitting, awesome variety, hard to beat. 30-06 seems to have almost no downside at all.

But 300 WM drops everything, could even drop my mother-in-law it's so powerful. More expensive, but like 30-06, seems like it's available and with a massive bullet variety.

Browning X-bolt is solid, the trigger is sublime. It's the Max LR model with a 1:8 twist and 26 inch barrel with a huge muzzle break on it. Ugly black speckled stock, stainless steel fluted barrel with a gross as hell gold colored trigger. Doesn't look like a hunting rifle, it looks like a douche range rifle. But I'm part douche, so maybe..

Get it? Or I'm being short sighted? It's a few bills over my budget, but hell, I'll just make this my last bottle of bourbon until April and I'm good.

And, I was thinking of pairing it to a Sig Sauer Sierra 44mm 4-16x scope to work with the rangefinder.

Cool? Anything I should consider before placing down hard earned bourbon money? Thanks guys!

Fine Firearms has quite a few 300 WM's in stock - as well as 300 WSM's, 7 Rem Mags, 6.5 PRC's, 308's etc. etc.

Sounds like you may be in the wrong store.

Just saying...

^ What he said!! Significantly more knowledge than the other stores as well. FF should be your first and final stop.

Reactions: ilovesprig
In regards to caliber, what are you trying to do with it? I love my 300 WM and would be completely happy with a 7 RM too. 30-06 is a great round but starts running out of gas at 500 yards.

Reactions: benCa
Any of those rifles will kill anything. I use a S&W 7mm, love that rifle don't see a need for anything bigger.

And make sure to post alot of dead mammals with it ..aim for the throat..that shot will make you famous

• Haha
Reactions: 180ls1 and benCa
Yeah, this is what I thought about 300, it's the same few cartridges again, and again, and again. I really love my 6.5CM, and I love that it's a short action. I was hoping there was a moden, larger, caliber I might be overlooking, looks like it's probably 6.8 western. Love the looks of it, but, again, isn't hitting as hard as classic 30s under 400 yards. And hard to find a rifle for it. Hell, I still haven't ever seen a box of it in any stores..

And I didn't think anyone would say 'yeah the x-bolt is garbage.'

However.. the Sig Sauer paired with the rangefinder seems very solid - anyone have any experience?

For the cost of guided hunts, and the very limited time for range shooting, etc; it seems like the sig is a great piece of assistance to help make sure your money and time come together for a clean shot.

This whole COVID thing.. man.. what a shame. Hard to get anything. Sadly, the same with rifles. Poway shooting center told me that any bolt action hunting rifles they typically stock are special order with a delivery date of... um.... 2023. (unless you want 6.5CM, in which case they have 200 models in stock to choose from.. rolling eyes hard here and there)

shoulders slumped, and a heavy heart, I head back to my truck and head to turners, which I avoided, because I can't stand waiting 45 minutes to talk to someone.

They tell me that they have nothing but a 30-06 in stock (some awful rifle selling for $400), come back to talk to Amanda and special order something. I'm blabbing here, sorry, got a lovely bourbon next to me.

Long story short; turners, to everyone's surprise had a semi-hidden X-bolt just sitting there in 300 WM!

So, first question, I'm stuck between 30-06, 7mm mag and 300. I'm leaning toward 300. I have a 6.5 CM now and I feel like between the two, I can do anything. Would anyone dissuade me from 300 MW? Because 30-06, according to my research, is grossly underrated, ridiculously available, hard hitting, awesome variety, hard to beat. 30-06 seems to have almost no downside at all.

But 300 WM drops everything, could even drop my mother-in-law it's so powerful. More expensive, but like 30-06, seems like it's available and with a massive bullet variety.

Browning X-bolt is solid, the trigger is sublime. It's the Max LR model with a 1:8 twist and 26 inch barrel with a huge muzzle break on it. Ugly black speckled stock, stainless steel fluted barrel with a gross as hell gold colored trigger. Doesn't look like a hunting rifle, it looks like a douche range rifle. But I'm part douche, so maybe..

Get it? Or I'm being short sighted? It's a few bills over my budget, but hell, I'll just make this my last bottle of bourbon until April and I'm good.

And, I was thinking of pairing it to a Sig Sauer Sierra 44mm 4-16x scope to work with the rangefinder.

Cool? Anything I should consider before placing down hard earned bourbon money? Thanks guys!
I have an A-Bolt II in .30-06 and it kills things pretty dead. But I also don't shoot at things that are 600+ yards away. If the deer's within 300 yards it's dead. If it's further than that, I'm getting closer.

Don't spend more than you want for a gun you are not sure you need/want/like.

Also, not sure what you are reading but I'm pretty sure the 6.8 western would smoke everything you mentioned except the 300wm. If I was buying new I would absolutely get one of the modern, more efficient cartridges like the PRC/Western vs. the 06'. However, if you already have one I wouldn't bother to upgrade.

why not build a custom rig? the Browning stuff is fine and all, its still a factory gun. Why not build what you want the way you want in what ever cartridge you want. In the end you will have a better rifle. If you think the browning trigger is good wait till you pull a good trigger.

nothing wrong with a 30-06 . nothing wrong with anything you mentioned. the short mags are cool 6.5, 7 and 30 Saum, or the WSM's

McMillan stock, Jewell trigger, pierce action, bartlien tube in the size you want, have FineFirearms build it and there you go

Reactions: TRICER
Man you guys are great. I'm a newb, learning, so when some of you guys say "do this," well, I frickin do it.

Got back from Fine Firearms, I don't waste time, and bought a Tikka (which I love!) in 300 WM. Saved $400 over the Browning. Still aiming for the Sig Sauer scope / rangefinder over-complex combo. I hear the electronis are awesome, but no one says a word about the optics or durability. I assume that this is also a good sign, in that if either were notably poor, critics would say so.

Reactions: TRICER and MJB
Man you guys are great. I'm a newb, learning, so when some of you guys say "do this," well, I frickin do it.

Got back from Fine Firearms, I don't waste time, and bought a Tikka (which I love!) in 300 WM. Saved $400 over the Browning. Still aiming for the Sig Sauer scope / rangefinder over-complex combo. I hear the electronis are awesome, but no one says a word about the optics or durability. I assume that this is also a good sign, in that if either were notably poor, critics would say so.
That will serve you well and kill anything you aim it at, including your shoulder. Keep the checkbook open and grab a limb saver recoil pad.

I've watched what that round does to elk and its an absolute hammer.

Screw the limb saver do the dual piston. I shot one in the 300 rum, low recoil and no muzzle jump, you could stay on target and see the hit most of the time.

Lots of guns and ammo around.......just have to look

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu