Rabbit hunting near Santa Clarita?

ke1234567

Jul 24, 2018
Santa Clarita, CA
Just wondering if rabbit hunting BLM north of Santa Clarita, i.e., up San Francisquito or in Angeles is worth it. Not asking for anyone's secret spots, just generally if okay. Was looking on OnX east of Drinkwater, maybe up near Sawmill or even southeast of Place to Shoot gun range.

There's cottontails most everywhere.....Take a walk.....Also, knock on some doors in rural areas or farm lands.....Many folks don't like the rabbits eating their lawns, plants, or crops.....A pellet gun may be needed in some situations.

Last edited:
Thanks. Any jacks running around up in those areas? I was thinking of using a 22, but i don't mind using pellet either. Not into shotgun hunting rabbits. Kinda takes the sport out of it for me. Plus, just prefer rifle hunting.

your in the middle of a couple national forests. looks like your not to far from some blm for jackrabbits. good luck! dusk and dawn is prime time. if your a bow guy, youll get some good practice on stalking and shooting small targets.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
Thanks. Any jacks running around up in those areas? I was thinking of using a 22, but i don't mind using pellet either. Not into shotgun hunting rabbits. Kinda takes the sport out of it for me. Plus, just prefer rifle hunting.
looks like there is blm near barstow too. a little patchy but get the onx app and youll be fine

ha ha....i was just looking at my OnX too. i just got back from north of baker. was just looking for areas really close for short day trips. plus, maybe someone else on here in SCV who likes to hunt small game. Honestly, the day trips would just be good work outs in between my regular work outs to get ready for next deer season.

I'd head for Lancaster or Mojave BLM.....On the good years, there's tons of jacks.....All good with rifles too.

Reactions: ke1234567
Note: Be advised that if you're going for Rabbits within LA County, their regs don't allow use of firearm rifle or pistol for method of take!

Which to me seems dumb as heck since you can be on the same land with a bigger rifle hunting for predators or deer and it's no problem, so go figure.

Last edited:
Have you been to Hungry Valley? Immediately west of the State OHV rec area is really good looking habitat in the Los Padres NF. I’ve been there but never hunted it. I know it’s popular with deer hunters during season.

If I recall, guns are not permitted anywhere within the OHV area. So if they ARE going into that other area, they are not getting into their thru the OHV roads. They very conscpicuously have signs posted along the OHV area stating specifically no guns allowed. Makes sense, since a rider could easily come whizzing up over a hill and now all of a sudden be in your backdrop if you were anywhere within or near that OHV area.

Instead of posting on here from the comfort of your chair, why don't you go try? That is what the rest of us do.

If I recall, guns are not permitted anywhere within the OHV area. So if they ARE going into that other area, they are not getting into their thru the OHV roads. They very conscpicuously have signs posted along the OHV area stating specifically no guns allowed. Makes sense, since a rider could easily come whizzing up over a hill and now all of a sudden be in your backdrop if you were anywhere within or near that OHV area.
No shooting in the OHV Park, but you can drive through to the NF. I’ve done it with a gun in my car. The guy at the kiosk gives you a sticker that says “passing through only” when you tell him you’re going to the hunting area. There are probably other ways to get into the NF also.

No shooting in the OHV Park, but you can drive through to the NF. I’ve done it with a gun in my car. The guy at the kiosk gives you a sticker that says “passing through only” when you tell him you’re going to the hunting area. There are probably other ways to get into the NF also.

Oh sweet! Thanks for that info man! There are D13 areas in there I'd been wanting to check out since folks had told me about Black Bears coming down from there and going into the OHV park to raid Trash Bins in the hot months. When I saw those signs I was all bummed, and just muttered under my breath with my teeth clenched "California". So cool! Glad to know they'll let ya use their roads to access into there!

Instead of posting on here from the comfort of your chair, why don't you go try? That is what the rest of us do.
Tony, appreciate the instruction, but I actually have. Went last weekend to desert north of Baker, and will be going again. Just posted on here for more local options. I guess I was using this informational forum for....ummm....information.

Those dumb signs at hungry valley are garbage. They are just a dumb silhouette figure with a red line over it. What is the legal meaning of those signs? I assume they mean no shooting but it could also be seen as no guns, no target shooting, or no hunting so they are asking for confusion with those things.

The hunting West of the OHV area sucks anyways. No deer, bear, quail, rabbits, predators, or ducks.

Those dumb signs at hungry valley are garbage. They are just a dumb silhouette figure with a red line over it. What is the legal meaning of those signs? I assume they mean no shooting but it could also be seen as no guns, no target shooting, or no hunting so they are asking for confusion with those things.

The hunting West of the OHV area sucks anyways. No deer, bear, quail, rabbits, predators, or ducks.
Maybe I’m paranoid, but for years my belief has been that those signs with the red line through the shooter are meant to scare away anyone with a gun. Because, below in fine print, it will say “except in the lawful pursuit of game”. Most hunters see the red line through the shooter and assume it means NO SHOOTIMG. Evil genius those antis in the govt. Or am I just paranoid?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu