Rabbit/Hunting Season Opener....2018

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Well got to use the 2018-19 license for the 1st time this morning....Jacob & I hit the MCC fields at shoot time (5:06 am)….Right off the bat, I miss my 1st shot with the pellet gun....2nd shot is a solid hit, but as I go out to pick up the rabbit, it bounds off....WITW!....After that, Jacob rattles off like 3 straight with the same gun....We switch to .17's and I make like a 90 yd shot....Jacob gets 2 more and he's done....I proceed to lose another with the pellet gun before I finally get 2 more....We thought that was enough with the lost bunnies….Stopped at the Henshaw fish cleaning station, mixed in some deer scouting, and had the breakfast buffet at Apple Junction in Santa Ysabel....Really fun morning with the SIL.

.005.JPG008.JPG011.JPG012.JPG

Congrats! Hiked into horse thief canyon on Saturday did about four miles and saw very little deer sign. Wish I could have went Sunday for the opener but of course had to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fun times Steve. Jacob is a good son inlaw. I am hoping my daughter never gets married but if she does I hope the guy hunts. Either way he is going to get a lesson in Firearms.
If he doesn't hunt he won't be around for long.

Can't wait to get out there with my bow.
Quick question. How long can I carry rabbit before I need to clean it?

Gut shot rabbits get ripe pretty quick....I normally keep them in the truck all morning, but do clean them when I get home....I chest with ice would help.

Gut shot rabbits get ripe pretty quick....I normally keep them in the truck all morning, but do clean them when I get home....Ice chest with ice would help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sdhunt17
Gut shot rabbits get ripe pretty quick....I normally keep them in the truck all morning, but do clean them when I get home....I chest with ice would help.
Not to mention if gut shot they can stink really badly so you won’t like carrying it around in a game bag or leaving it in your car for long. Also, the warmer the weather, the sooner you need to get em on ice. Head shots help too lol

I hate carrying gut shot rabbits... after a couple hours of hiking around in the warm weather they funk up my Filson vest. I try for head shots but, every now and then, it happens. I'll carry a ziploc just in case, so if I gut shot one I can dress it immediately to avoid the mess.

Reactions: WaterDawg
I hate carrying gut shot rabbits... after a couple hours of hiking around in the warm weather they funk up my Filson vest. I try for head shots but, every now and then, it happens. I'll carry a ziploc just in case, so if I gut shot one I can dress it immediately to avoid the mess.

how long can you carry the meat in a zip lock. just trying to figure out worst case scenarios.
thanks for all the input guys. im a fly fly fisher so i know is fish.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Like Sprig mentioned above, I have shot rabbits in the morning then carried them all day without ice and cleaned them at home in the afternoon without issue. I assume dressed meat would fare OK as well, as long as you keep guts and crap off it. Certainly wouldn't leave it sitting all night or in a hot car all day if that's what you mean.

I like the zip lock idea.

Reactions: Smokey58

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu