Rattle snakes

Brief snake story while dove hunring. Several years ago while dove hunting with a friend we were hunting rolling hills north and west of Colusa. It was brush and dead grass about 18” high. I never take my dog dove hunting because it’s usually quite hot and I know the area has lots of rattlers. Anyway I shot a dove that came down about 40 yards out. They aren’t easy to find in the long grass. Searched for about 5 minutes when I found the bird. Bent over and reached out to pick up the dove when I saw a medium sized rattler coiled about 2 or so feet away. He didn’t rattle but was coiled and staring at me . I froze bending over, arm extended hand about a foot from the dove. I knew if I moved he would probably strike. I stayed in that position staring into those beady eyes for several minutes Thinking I’m staring into the eyes of possible death. My partner started yelling at me to get back and sit down as we were missing doves flying over. I obviously couldn’t respond as it may invite a strike. He had no idea what was going on. I just stayed frozen. I didn’t know how long I could hold that position. Finally after I don’t know how long (it seemed like a long time) the snake uncoiled and started slithering off. I grabbed the bird and made it back to my partner. Few things bother me much but I was too shook up to continue hunting that area. I slowly walked back to my truck about a quarter mile away. The whole way I had the gun at the ready in case I encountered another snake. Every step I expected to see another snake. Now a days I wear heavy duty hunting boots, snake proof gaiters and am most careful when I reach down to pick up a dove. The snake never did rattle and it definitely was a rattler, I could see his rattles. I sat in my truck and drank a couple ice cold beers before I was calm enough to function.

WaterDog, similar thing happend to me 30 yrs ago hunting on the CRIT, I dropped a dove into a bush and when I went to retrieve it, Jake the Rattlesnake was in the same bush. I saw him as I started to bend over, I backed up a little and prodded Jake with the shotgun barrel and he slithered away mad. I got my bird but close call.

Similar incident for me (actually a couple of times)...But this one was the most traumatic...I was hunting gambel's with my old buddy Cal near Seeley...I shoot one and start walking in that direction...I had Big Jake with me and at about the same time he smells it, I see this huge western coiled up in a little bush the quail was in right in front of my foot...I scream at Jake to sit (he does)...I slowly lift my foot, so the snake can only strike the bottom of my boot...Once I get a couple feet away. I let him have it...Jake jumps into the bush and gets the bird...Damn, glad I didn't miss... o_O

.029.JPG030.JPG

Damn I didn't even consider there being Rattlers around when I went out to the IV last Sept..went out alone to try my hand at Dove and Rabbit. Next time I'll definitely be more careful. Glad I didn't encounter one.
Yep.. nearly stepped on one in the dark on opener. Also be careful when fetching up downed birds under trees and in the brush.

Guys I think if we hunt long enough it'll happen to all of us. Just scares the crap out of us when it does. My second year hunting dove out in the hills not too far from my house I shoot one that down. When I went to go retrieve the dove, it landed right next to about a 4-foot rattlesnake. Still have the Radler yep and I ate him!

Where's that den picture in the storm drain at Wister that was a crazy amount of rattlers

Next time out in the IV talk to one of the water guys about rattlers

Mark,

When I worked at Wister...One of our jobs was to clear the drains into each field...I swear, just about everyone of them seemed to have a rattler...This guy came from the S20 parking lot

.wister 11-20-10 019.JPGwister 11-20-10 021.JPG

Reactions: CRABBY
With all of this in mind, does anyone know where to get info on how to field treat a bite? Often times I am hours away from services and most of the time with my younger kids. I have looked and looked and never been able to find consistent information.

With all of this in mind, does anyone know where to get info on how to field treat a bite? Often times I am hours away from services and most of the time with my younger kids. I have looked and looked and never been able to find consistent information.
There’s nothing to do, the human circulatory system is very efficient and you cannot get the venom out. Make every effort to get to a hospital immediately.

This seems to be the latest opinion of what to do...I've only had 2 friends get hit...One bite was dry and he had no reaction to it (reaching for a dove near Elsinore)...The other was in Ramona while reaching into the bell on his natural gas tank...He had a terrible reaction and was life flighted to Palomar...$10,000.00 later in anti-venom, he lived.

Rattlers can strike about 1/2 the length of their body...Leather boots (or snake boots) are obviously best to wear in snake country.

Wearing long pants of any kind can help on a strike (especially denim)...Apparently, it will help keep them from getting to your skin.

When a Snake Bites

Go to a hospital immediately. If you cannot get to a hospital, call the Banner Poison and Drug Information Center at 1-800-222-1222.

• Do not use ice to cool the bite.
  • Do not cut open the wound and try to suck out the venom.
  • Do not use a tourniquet. This will cut off blood flow and the limb may be lost.
  • Do not drink alcohol.
  • Do not try to catch the snake. It just wastes time.
  • Look for symptoms. If the area of the bite begins to swell and change color, the snake was probably poisonous. For specific symptoms that may occur after being bitten by a snake, visit the University of Arizona poison and drug information center website.
  • Keep the bitten area still. Don't tie or wrap the limb tightly—you don't want to reduce blood flow.

• Remove any jewelry or constricting items near the affected area in case of swelling.

There seem to be differing opinions about whether a limb that has been bitten by a venomous reptile should be raised above the heart, lower than the heart or even with the heart. The general consensus appears to be to hold the extremity level with the heart, or in a position that would not make blood flow either up or down.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu