Rattle snakes

My worry is about Mojave Greens because 90% of my hunting is from the Sierras east to the state border. Truth is I have only come across a Green once but there isn't any anti venom vaccination for them.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I run into a couple here yet they are not suppose to be here, same as side winders, but they had horns , This was a few years ago, the Palomar ranger said they are starting to spread,
it's hard to tell them apart at first,

Cool snake! @Snake Charmer why is it that the red rattlers seem to be much more docile than the southern Pacifics. I have had 3 very close calls with some big reds in the last year and still Have not had one rattle at me.
My worry is about Mojave Greens because 90% of my hunting is from the Sierras east to the state border. Truth is I have only come across a Green once but there isn't any anti venom vaccination for them.
The reds are very docile by nature and are not easily aggitated. I have had a few rattle at me but it was only after I picked them up with tongs. Btw they have been a protected species since 2013 and you cannot legally posess or kill them.

There is anti-venom for Mohave's for both humans and dogs. If you get bit you will be guaranteed a helicopter ride to Loma Linda hospital near San Bernardino. If your dog gets bit you probably won't be able to get him to a vet fast enough to save him.

The reds are very docile by nature and are not easily aggitated. I have had a few rattle at me but it was only after I picked them up with tongs. Btw they have been a protected species since 2013 and you cannot legally posess or kill them.

There is anti-venom for Mohave's for both humans and dogs. If you get bit you will be guaranteed a helicopter ride to Loma Linda hospital near San Bernardino. If your dog gets bit you probably won't be able to get him to a vet fast enough to save him.
I am one of the few that doesn’t kill snakes Fred. If they are in my yard they get a shovel but in the backcountry I just let them do their thing and I do mine. Cool critters.

I am one of the few that doesn’t kill snakes Fred. If they are in my yard they get a shovel but in the backcountry I just let them do their thing and I do mine. Cool critters.
We're the aliens Drew, they have been here far longer than us and deserve a place in the biodiversity. We would be over run with rodents without them. I don't tolerate them around my dwellings or kennel and pick the up when I see them close but in the wild I go my way and they go their's. They are the most primal of creatures and we will just have to tolerate their presence as they will never adapt and avoid us.

Watch your backdoor fellas....2020 is the year...if can happen..it will...that being said...we behead them onsight on the 2acres....bad for buisness.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Drew,

Not a cool critter and God must have been having a bad day when he created them...:joy:

This red or speckled was just a little guy and he got a pass...What camo!

.View attachment 44497View attachment 44498
Steve,that's a speckled
I run into a couple here yet they are not suppose to be here, same as side winders, but they had horns , This was a few years ago, the Palomar ranger said they are starting to spread,
it's hard to tell them apart at first,
So much bad info combined with some good I don't care to even start as to how poor this video is. These folks like to make videos

I know, I know...this is a no no. But when I was tween we had a few as pets. (Ill delete this in a bit so not to encourage stupidity.) I think this was a Great Basin Rattler/NV. We were a different kind of red neck. Lol

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu