Record turkey....Eaten?

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
So I started the morning off hunting with fellow MCC member Matt this morning....Good action early, but only a couple of jakes....We moved to 3 more times to different areas thru-out the morning, but the only thing we heard or saw was one lone hen....After the 4th spot of crow & peacock calling, I had to go to a luncheon in Julian....Matt decides to get a new spot on the VID property....We talked about taking one of the less popular zones just because they don't get hunted much....So he ends up taking a spot that with the exception of opening week-end....Never gets taken (there was a jake shot on the opener)….I think the one thing that I might have taught him is the importance of using locator calls....He enters the small canyon and hits the crow call and gets an instant gobble....He sits down and within minutes a monster gobbler is standing in front of him....Only problem was, his SBE ll won't fire....Even racks in a new shell and the trigger just won't pull....After some time and all the movement, the gobbler putts, and walks away....He then runs back to his truck and cleans trigger mechanism (apparently in the morning sand had got into the gun)….He now sneaks back to where he was and calls again, and believe it or not, the bird comes back again....42 yds and down he goes....He sends me the pictures and I can not believe my eyes....Longest beard I've ever seen and like super hooked spurs....So, I call him and say, I need to score that turkey....Too late....Already gutted and cleaned....o_O

Stats....12 1/2" beard, 1 3/8" spurs, and a bird that he thought weighed over 20 lbs....UNBELIEVABLE!....And congrats, Matt....:blush:

.006.JPG005.JPG004.JPG

That’s a heck of a story. Good for him. I own a couple of Benelli M2s. One time I “clicked”on a big Tom with my 12, but he didn’t come back. I was sick. Turns out after a number of years of duck hunting etc. the main recoil spring was failing. I had It replaced with a surefire aftermarket spring and it’s been great ever since. One of my many turkey tragedies!

Man O man. That's one for the books. Best i ever did was, 11-1/8" heard and 1" spurs. He may well never best that one. Man O man.

Thats a noose for sure....damn bird commited Tomoside no doubt..strong work.

Awesome bird my buddies gun did the same thing last year. Click and no dead bird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats to the hunter! That is one heck of a story. Crazy a bird if that caliber would stick around like that. They must be getting desperate with all the hens nesting.
Fancy guns break stick with M500 never lets ya down I clean mine with wister mud.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
That is a whopper bird with a great beard. The gobbles are intermittent for me right now and not at all to calling. I believe I am dealing with henned up birds.

Beautiful bird just goes to show birds are where you find them not always in the most popular spots

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu