Removal and abandonment of all guzzlers and drinkers throught the Mojave National Preserve

wingshooterkj

Oct 16, 2016
Alright guys, so the NPS has done a good job of keeping this quiet and scheduling public hearings during the week when it’s hard for guys to make it all the way out to Barstow to have there opinions heard. Pretty shady if you ask me. If you haven’t heard the NPS is doing a study on the affect guzzlers and drinkers have on wildlife in the MNP problem is all 4 options of this plan would facilitate the abandonment or removal of almost all the guzzlers and drinkers throughout the MNP.

But its not set set in stone just yet! The public comment deadline date has been pushed to May 19 2018 it’s super simple and you can do it online here:

https://parkplanning.nps.gov/comment...cumentID=86685

Or you can mail your comments to:

Mojave National Preserve, Attention: Water Plan & EA Comments, 2701 Barstow Road, Barstow, CA 92311

Please urge the NPS to add another option to there water management plan. An option where they are mandated to keep and allow the maintenance of all guzzlers and drinkers throughout the MNP.

There isn’t much time for action. Please make your comments heard it’s super simple and only takes a few minutes. Also share this post on other fourms and social media. The future of upland hunting in MNP depends on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
kj,

Thanks for posting this....It only takes a couple minutes of your time....In the big picture, this is all part of the anti hunting movement and it's attempt to chip away at out hunting heritage.....TAKE THE TIME.....It's the least we can do.

Done.
Howdy All: I recently found this great SCH OUTDOORS sight and just joined. my passion is upland but I do deer hunt as well. I typically hunt quail and chukar from the Sierras all the way to MNP. I have read some great postings and look forward to contributing on both the Upland and Dog forums. I have owned a Pointer and a Brittany (both now in upland heaven) and now I have a GSP currently in training. Once I figure out how, I will post picture(s).

Done. Thanks!

Forest service recently removed several 100 year old rock dams from Trabuco Creek in order to go “all natural”. These small dams created the only fishable pools in the area, and DFG used to stock them with trout when full. Now, No more dams, no more fish, no more fishing.

Done. Thanks!

Forest service recently removed several 100 year old rock dams from Trabuco Creek in order to go “all natural”. These small dams created the only fishable pools in the area, and DFG used to stock them with trout when full. Now, No more dams, no more fish, no more fishing.
Do you have any further details on this? I know Trout Unlimited used to back the removal of some of these dams in the Santa Ana mountains. The goal was for steelhead to be able to once again spawn in those areas.

I had ran into the TU guys before fishing pools back on San Mateo Creek in the wilderness area. Their goal wasn't trout, but bluegill and other sunfish that may be in there and possibly eating young steelhead. Cool to think of what Fishermans Camp one was back in that area.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Do you have any further details on this? I know Trout Unlimited used to back the removal of some of these dams in the Santa Ana mountains. The goal was for steelhead to be able to once again spawn in those areas.

I had ran into the TU guys before fishing pools back on San Mateo Creek in the wilderness area. Their goal wasn't trout, but bluegill and other sunfish that may be in there and possibly eating young steelhead. Cool to think of what Fishermans Camp one was back in that area.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Nic, the program I’m referring to was covered in the OC Register and I believe completed about a year ago. Only Trabuco Creek was mentioned. The same argument about steelhead spawning was used as a reason for dam removal. Unlike San Mateo, Trabuco is virtually all urban run off (my neighborhood drains into it) except during the rainy season, and virtually no chance steelhead would use it to get into the mountains to spawn. So many of us felt removing the dams was just another attempt to get those nasty fisherman out of the area so tree huggers could commune with nature better.

Steelhead returning to San Mateo Creek was an argument used against connecting the 241 Toll Road to I 5 at the south tip of San Clemente. Not sure if any dams or other obstructions were removed from San Mateo Creek. Trout spawning would have a much better chance there than in Trabuco.

Nic, google trabuco creek dam removal and you’ll find all the info.

Nic, the program I’m referring to was covered in the OC Register and I believe completed about a year ago. Only Trabuco Creek was mentioned. The same argument about steelhead spawning was used as a reason for dam removal. Unlike San Mateo, Trabuco is virtually all urban run off (my neighborhood drains into it) except during the rainy season, and virtually no chance steelhead would use it to get into the mountains to spawn. So many of us felt removing the dams was just another attempt to get those nasty fisherman out of the area so tree huggers could commune with nature better.

Steelhead returning to San Mateo Creek was an argument used against connecting the 241 Toll Road to I 5 at the south tip of San Clemente. Not sure if any dams or other obstructions were removed from San Mateo Creek. Trout spawning would have a much better chance there than in Trabuco.

We had a Gravid female come all the way up the LA river as far as she could last year.

Alright guys looks like we might be making an impact! The NPS has extended the public comment deadline again, this time until July 19th

Reactions: Moves
Alright guys looks like we might be making an impact! The NPS has extended the public comment deadline again, this time until July 19th
Great, thanks for the update. What next, remove all the artificial reefs in the ocean?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu